Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Dec 2005, 03:51 (Ref:1479374)   #1
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Control chassis pics in MN... what do they mean?

I see MN has pictures of the prototype Control chassis proposed by TEGA. It looks very basic - leaving a lot of scope for teams to have individual input. Doesnt seem to be much of a front end - im guessing thats a Clip On thing????
Old 8 Dec 2005, 04:08 (Ref:1479382)   #2
Racer

Mozambique
Homeless
Guest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stupid idea, so will they be Fords or Holdens or both?
Old 8 Dec 2005, 04:32 (Ref:1479390)   #3
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
foldens
Old 8 Dec 2005, 04:35 (Ref:1479392)   #4
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Foldens or Hords (whoreds?)
Old 8 Dec 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1479448)   #5
Racer

Mozambique
Homeless
Guest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Chrysler chassis if they pay enough money........
Old 8 Dec 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1479548)   #6
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
WPS? - Why not, they seem to have an involvement in everything else, and then they could also claim a win each round...
Old 8 Dec 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1479560)   #7
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why a control roll cage can't be the equaliser. All teams run the "Larry Bar" now. Control of chassis stiffness and build the bodies which means shape through the air plus the individual front-rear wings. Things can only be controlled or standardised up to a point. Eventually, the body shapes of the two cars are to come into play and this individuality is outside of control paramenter. Wind tunnels could show this err parity disparity. How far do we take it?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 8 Dec 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1479592)   #8
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
lcfp2297 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can a moderator add "in MN" to the thread title!!!

...and here I thought there were pics in the thread
Old 8 Dec 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1480064)   #9
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are massive differences in the new holden, hence the push for this thing, sources say that the rear rails go straight through where the rear pick up points would be too so that means all ne rails on the @ss end of the car too, no wonder Ford dont want it, they can sit back and watch holden gobble up there cash on some very very expensive new shells

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 10 Dec 2005, 00:24 (Ref:1480956)   #10
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well what is the "Aussie" cough Holden based on? The thing retains the relic of a german (!) name, where the equivalent german car from the 80s seems rather almost identical and rather not-aussie, and now days this new one is based on some joint US platform or something?
Old 14 Dec 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1484337)   #11
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Opel Omega:

Looks awfully like a Holden Commodore doesn't it.
Holden don't even have license to design their own bodyshape, they are given the german one as a base. Aussie car eh?

The shape of the roofline and doors, and shape of the wagon after the A-pillar is identical. I don't know what styling work they did in Australia but it's not a hell of a lot!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 00:09 (Ref:1484347)   #12
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Commodore is longer and wider than the Omega. It's smart to start with a good base rather than a clean sheet, nothing wrong with that. However this time round (VE) I don't think they have an Omega to work from, as it seems that non-prestige brands trying to sell large cars in Europe works as well as ... help me out here!

The changes to the rear floopan Onlooker refers come from redesigning the rear end now the provision for a live axle is no longer required (strange it was not done earlier really, no VT variant ever had one). Ford did the same thing with the BA. In any case, the rear axle pickup points have been made from scratch since this category began, they use far longer suspension arms than the road cars (with live axles) did.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1484378)   #13
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
The Holden Commodore has a German name and german shape, and the Mitsubishi 380 is extremely close to the Galant. Does the casual "yobbo" Holden supporter know about the shape of the Omega? Holden does not make it clear to the public. Some of them think that the Astra is made in Australia! I don't like the myth of Holden = Australian car brand.

So only the Ford Falcon & Territory really has enough Australian-designed stuff to be called an Australian designed car, the others are just pretenders which have way too much "borrowed" from outside Australia.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 06:29 (Ref:1484456)   #14
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fact Webber, I believe the VE Commodore will only have something like 55% Australian componentry, even the 380 is more Aussie in that regard, but once again the Falcon tops the chart here
Old 15 Dec 2005, 10:18 (Ref:1484589)   #15
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
It would be nice if Holden in 1997 put a Opel Omega on their motorshow stands, to let people compare against the VT. As it is, I wonder how many Holden supporters know that all that the Australians were responsible for on the popular styling of the VT was to notice that some balloon shape head and tail-lights might be a good fit to go along with the rest of the car which they simply did not shape themselves.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1484606)   #16
ggitt
Rookie

ggitt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Commodore Supercar will have to have 100mm cut from its roof to make it fit the new floor.
No big deal when you consider the Ford has 50mm cut from its front wheel arches and it uses wagon rear rails on the opposite side of the car to which they were manufactured.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1484616)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Much rather have this one

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods