Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:03 (Ref:2519314)   #26
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Gary your absence has been noted.'
Blimey-I'd better get my skates on and get my entry in for Brands then??
Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2519319)   #27
Andrew Ames
Rookie

Andrew Ames should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wishing everyone involved in this a speedy recovery,

and sounds like the marshalls and medical staff had a busy time,
well done for what must have been a difficult day and a continued thankyou for all your hard work and efforts this season.

Andrew Ames
Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:19 (Ref:2519323)   #28
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojo View Post
Just seen this clip of the Amanda W incident on utube if anyones interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXpy7aOI2zs

I dont often watch these videos but apart from something breaking the only other explaination is that Amanda got launched? However,so glad she escaped relatively unharmed.Speedy recovery to all.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:48 (Ref:2519341)   #29
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
....... However,so glad she escaped relatively unharmed.Speedy recovery to all.

Likewise Terry, best wishes to all
Old 11 Aug 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2519420)   #30
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to know a good reason for Amanda's 'indiscretion see the attached. Apparently according to a marshal she was still flat out down the straight "checking my gauges" while everyone else was slowing down for the red flags that were abundantly clear to anyone who wasn't watching their gauges and had a clear view in front of their car. It wasn't as if she didn't know there may be red flags out as she was the one who hit the car that went off......D. I put it down to 'blind' determination...
Attached Thumbnails
AmandaMallory2009.jpg  
Old 11 Aug 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2519481)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wasn't there, so trying not to make a judgement, but why would you be going flat out when you had no forward visibility? Am I missing something?

As for the intensity of the front end battle, I bet it is no more so than the great Neil Fowler/Nelson Rowe battles we had a few years back. Don't remember any of them resulting in big accidents, or is that selective memory at work there?

However, having seen the violence of her accident, it is very pleasing to see that Amanda was OK.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2519557)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, I've received a couple of messages and had a couple of telephone conversations with people much closer to the issue than I. Chris Sharples has requested that there be no more discussion/speculation regarding the FF1600 accident(s) since this could be prejudicial to any enquiry that may take place. Please may we (including me!) respect this position, and I confirm that I will remove any post which is deemed to breach this undertaking.

There is nothing, of course, to prevent further conversation about the rest of the meeting, which would be good to hear about.

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Aug 2009 at 06:12. Reason: Typo!
Old 11 Aug 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2519700)   #33
jamesl
Racer

jamesl has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"Really the positive note from Sunday was the FF2000 folk. Looking good for the future. Ought to be a full championship next year"

Couldn't agree more.
For those who don't yet know the secret, HFF2000 is a cracking HSCC series organised by the likeable double act of Morgan and Rowley. If your looking for affordable and competative historic single seater racing take a look at www.historicff2000.co.uk
Old 11 Aug 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2519726)   #34
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
jhh911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all the focus being on the ff1600 race their has been no mention about the drivers involved in the barrier destruction in the saloon race,or the fate of the Elva junior driver who rolled on the exit of Gerrards.Any news?
Old 11 Aug 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2519736)   #35
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhh911 View Post
With all the focus being on the ff1600 race their has been no mention about the drivers involved in the barrier destruction in the saloon race,or the fate of the Elva junior driver who rolled on the exit of Gerrards.Any news?
Been testing at Silverstone today "see lighter side". FJ driver OK.I watched his accident and I'm very glad he had a roll bar fitted.
As im sure he is as well.Westie is flat on his back and although i don't know him or the full extent of his back injuries he has my commiserations as i had the same situation at Spa a couple of years ago.His only bonus is that he can understand what the nurses are saying.Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2519817)   #36
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhh911 View Post
Mini driver (Roger Godfrey) is ok and only injured in the pocket. Drive shaft went, I understand, at exit of Gerrards.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 07:30 (Ref:2520018)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair comment JT,and one I completely agree with.Never a good thing for anyone to start finger pointing but the reason for any accident has to be looked at,in case of mechanical failure's so that it could possibly be averted in the future.? My understanding is that all drivers involved are very competent in what they do.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2520024)   #38
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
the reason for any accident has to be looked at ........ so that it could possibly be averted in the future.?
Quite; hence the request.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2520027)   #39
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been asked to request factual observations that people may have of the first lap of the FF race, relative to the events at Gerrards exit and the Finish straight. If anyone is able to send me anything by PM it would be most appreciated. Thank you
Old 12 Aug 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2520053)   #40
AndyB
Rookie

England
Lymm
AndyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Not been to Mallory for years, but thought worth going for 40 mins in the Guards... So sat all day in the sunshine, made some changes to the car between practice and the race, and looking forward to giving Robert in the Porsche a hard time (only 10th of a sec behind on the grid). ho hum race cancelled. To add insult to injury, gateman had been told not to let anyone out until racing had finished. Marvelous day.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2520061)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome AndyB.

Sometimes events don't go as planned. I've been in a similar position. However there are other days when you have such a great time you can forget about cancelled meetings/races etc. Good luck next time out.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2520100)   #42
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
One off my blokes came up to see us on Sunday only to be told by gate man he was to late to use the ticket we had left him.After a bit of chat managed to get him in.Apparently the Vicar comes over to the track if the races run past curfew time. Is this correct.????
Old 12 Aug 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2520104)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If true you'd better get some sherry in for next time.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2520105)   #44
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yeah,apparently it's a 'Habbit' he cannot get out of!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2520170)   #45
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Hey hey you two .
Old 12 Aug 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2520183)   #46
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
One off my blokes came up to see us on Sunday only to be told by gate man he was to late to use the ticket we had left him.After a bit of chat managed to get him in.Apparently the Vicar comes over to the track if the races run past curfew time. Is this correct.????

You will probably find with most Mallory Paddock Tickets it's quite stated "Not valid after 11.00am" Not really much excuse.

The curfew is in fact VERY strictly adhered to in order to keep the local NIMBY's happy !!

They are very quick to point out any indiscretions to the local authority. The Circuit runs under quite strict planning restrictions. (thanks to the above mentioned NIMBYS - or to give them a more appropriate title Not In My NEW HOME Back Yard )
Old 12 Aug 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2520197)   #47
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroller View Post
The curfew is in fact VERY strictly adhered to in order to keep the local NIMBY's happy !!

They are very quick to point out any indiscretions to the local authority. The Circuit runs under quite strict planning restrictions. (thanks to the above mentioned NIMBYS - or to give them a more appropriate title Not In My NEW HOME Back Yard )

It is not just the NIMBYs who appreciate the curfew, us marshals do too! I have a 2 hour drive back home from either Donington or Mallory. One of te reasons that I go to Mallory more often is that the curfew means I can be confident of being home by 8:30. I know Donington is nowhere near as bad as it used to be but there is still the chance that I will not get home until 10:00pm (or even later), then have to get something to eat etc. and be in a fit state to leave for work at 7:00am the next morning.

My wife can also have some confidence to:
Get the dinner ready at a suitable time
Get rid of the toyboy and tidy up the bedroom
Old 12 Aug 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2520211)   #48
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryc View Post

Get rid of the toyboy and tidy up the bedroom
Does that mean if you finish early you have to wait in the bar until 6:00pm
Old 12 Aug 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2520215)   #49
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK - here's one for discussion:

When we saw the accident on the outside of Gerrards in FF race (from inside the paddock) I said at the time that it would be wise to have yellows on the start straight (we could hear the leaders still racing at full pelt down the start straight), say 2 posts before where the accident was on the entry to Gerrards - that way those in the lead hurtling down the straight would see yellows BEFORE they enter Gerrards at full tilt -
meaning that they are not going full tilt around Gerrards and then come upon a yellow on the exit, when they cannot deviate off-line without danger of spinning to the infield on oversteer

Does that sound like a sensible option for any/every exit-incident at Gerrards?

Pleased that all seem to be doing well now - my husband was the Lotus 18 on the grass, nice to hear he handled the excursion well (I couldn't see it as was on pitwall) - I think that was the only race without a red flag?
Old 12 Aug 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2520219)   #50
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh - and I'll be at Mallory in two weeks in the Junior..... mind you, the grid is a lot smaller, so hoping to keep the nose clean!