Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Aug 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2524489)   #1
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of tech info please (re brake and fuel lines)

Evening all

I could do with some technical info regarding running brake and fuel lines through the cockpit of my car (an FIA MGB)

First, is it a good idea (not sure about running fuel lines through the cockpit!)?

Obviously both have to be metal or braided but I understand they have to be fixed at a very specific spacing (20cm????)

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

Simon
Old 19 Aug 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2524494)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure re FIA App K (Zef?) but it is a good idea because they can get damaged under the car; by gravel, kerbs etc. If you can run them inside the car make sure they aren't between the rollcage and the bodywork.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2524501)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
20cm sounds a bit ott,however,it certainly wouldn't do any harm.I would use copper brake lines,easier to install ,lighter and easier to work that braided.Fuel line has to be either braided internaly or externally,obviously you will need to run the fuel on the left of the cockpit,on top of the inner sill is easiest. Have fun!
Old 19 Aug 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2524504)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
2Fuel line has to be either braided internaly or externally,obviously you will need to run the fuel on the left of the cockpit,on top of the inner sill is easiest. Have fun!
Yeah but on top of the inner cill is between the Rollcage and the bodywork and you risk crushing it if (heaven forbid) there is an accident. Run it down the tunnel on the passenger side is my recommendation.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2524518)   #5
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Thanks both, that's very useful - all a bit new to me.

If you're at Donington on Sunday I'll have a look at yours!!!
Old 19 Aug 2009, 20:20 (Ref:2524597)   #6
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post

Where did you hear about the 20cm rule?

Terry better be at Donington Sunday!!
Old 19 Aug 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2524604)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yeah but on top of the inner cill is between the Rollcage and the bodywork and you risk crushing it if (heaven forbid) there is an accident. Run it down the tunnel on the passenger side is my recommendation.
Only one problem there,the exhaust runs directly in front of the footwell.Top of the sill it is then.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2524607)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post

I could well be there but unfortunately the car wont be.I'm in the SC so come and say hello down the bottom of the pitlane.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2524629)   #9
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Or leave it where it is!! The brake line however will move.

Thinking about it, the car was parked in the gateway to the main pits at the Masters meeting at Donington in May and I had a good ole nose around then. I'm sure at that time it ran along the trans tunnel on the passenger side into the footwell - and was rubber/cotton braid!! Solve one problem and create another....?

I'll certainly keep an eye out for you on Sunday. Looks a good line up and the weather should be decent, just wish the Gentlemen Drivers weren't late in the day. I've lost count on how many times I've had to leave before the end!

Anyway, thanks again for your help chaps!

Last edited by skentellytubby; 19 Aug 2009 at 21:21. Reason: .
Old 19 Aug 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2524642)   #10
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Where did you hear about the 20cm rule?

Terry better be at Donington Sunday!!
It was mentioned to me by the fella sorting a few bits for me (a well known MG prep guy up here in Manchester); I'm sure that's what he said.

Still, 20cm isn't a lot really, any wider spacing and it could shift around I'd have though (plus it is currently set up with two seats, so would keep it out of the way of clod hoppers)
Old 20 Aug 2009, 04:59 (Ref:2524778)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I really would run both lines through the car,with a bit of thought you can overcome any little niggles that spring up,I would also recommend using a D8 hose size throughout.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 05:20 (Ref:2524782)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Besides, running the brake lines inside the car allows for the driver adjustable brake balance valve to be conveniently loca.......................... Oops!
Old 20 Aug 2009, 06:35 (Ref:2524800)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting no-one has suggested using hard line for petrol rather than braided. I know it is legal but IMO the latter is not good as can give off fumes inside car.

Can't remeber ever reading about 20cm rule
Old 20 Aug 2009, 07:30 (Ref:2524835)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I use Aeroquip hoses. As to the fumes? Sniff, Aaaaah.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2524841)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Good point Mike,just the ease of installing a flexible line.I did run a copper line in my car for years but decided on Flexi when I fitted the big tank. As to the obscure 20cm thing,no idea where that has come from.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2524880)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I use Aeroquip hoses. As to the fumes? Sniff, Aaaaah.
Visions of the Air Traffic Control scenes in 'Airplane' come to mind......
Old 20 Aug 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2524900)   #17
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I routed my fuel line along the passenger floor tight to the gearbox tunnel, then turned it up through a bulkhead connector where the servo is normally positioned and into the carb. I have seen this done on loads of MGBs.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2525564)   #18
AndyB
Rookie

England
Lymm
AndyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did the same in my MGB, hard cooper fuel line from boot mounted tank along the tunnel. Demon Tweeks sell some nice firewall grommet seals to use on the rear panel. Also ran the brake lines & wiring loom through the car. Who are you using in Manchester?
Old 21 Aug 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2525573)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
8 inches? :-)
Old 30 Aug 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2531265)   #20
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Ok well I'll swap the fuel line that's already in the cockpit for a steel braided one and run the brake line through also (it goes through the firewall above the tunnel)

I use Mike Entwisle by the way.

While I'm on..........does anyone know of a nice seat that doesn't look modern. There was a silver lightweight E type at Oulton and it had one of those aluminium shells with a leather seat cover (Kirkey???) like the yanks use. Looked good but are they comfortable and are they legal?

Thanks for all the help so far, I'm learning a lot!

Simon
Old 30 Aug 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2531314)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think you can use a Ridgard. They aren't FIA approved but for App K I don't think they need to be. I don't know why though. However possibly the most comfortable seat you can buy.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2531398)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I have seen those yank seats I do like the look of them and they are not offencively expensive, I think Summit Racing stock them and will ship worldwide reliably.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2531407)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I think you can use a Ridgard. They aren't FIA approved but for App K I don't think they need to be. I don't know why though. However possibly the most comfortable seat you can buy.
Yes, for Period F which FIA 'B' is in seat can be 'period specification' rather than FIA homologated. Think Bob makes to order, so allow time or consider something from Cobra.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2531409)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The Kirkey makes getting in and out of a B very awkward.I would ignore the Ridgard as being expensive and very heavy,despite them being comfortable Far better to go for the OMP Retro seat,has a built in head rest,no FIA lable so you'll not be renewing it every five years.I think they are available from DT at something like £140. And they fit a B perfectly.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2531447)   #25
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Excellent, I'll get something a bit more retro and not worry about it then. I like the look of the OMP and I'd be able to sit in one before buying.

Thanks again everyone

Simon