Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 10 Sep 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2537678)   #1
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Antonio Lopes Motorsport Artist

Has anyone come across Antonio Lopes who attends race meetings selling his services as a motorsport artist?

He approached me at Brands Masters festival in June and showed me a painting he had done of a single seater. It wasn't bad, not Michelangelo but fine for a momento for the office wall etc.

The pitch was £10 up front and then a further £20 when he finished the painting.

He seemed genuine enough. Well at least to a gullible mug like me. And a few other people I know who were at the same meeting.

I got a letter a week or so later saying paintings were ready and could I send a cheque for the balance. He also enclosed photos of another of my cars to ask me to select one for him to paint. I sent off a cheque and it was duly banked.

Then nothing......

A few others also ordered and having the same issues.

Any leads?

Roger
Old 10 Sep 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2537683)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Roger, I can tell the same story- also from Brands!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2537688)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
If it's the same guy who I know of, and it sounds like him, it's a lottery as to whether you will get anything and if you do I think the results look pretty much like a ten year old painted them.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2537691)   #4
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For 30 squids I'm not surprised!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2537714)   #5
motorsportinprint
Rookie

United Kingdom
Preston, UK
motorsportinprint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a real shame!

Don't let it put you off other motorsport artists though!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2537740)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would want more than that for a decent digitally printed stretch mounted canvas! Mind you the machine I use to produce them on is the 2nd one I have bought, the first one despite paying over £3.3k like Rogers painting never appeared so we have all been had at one time or another. I guess the answer is like I now do collect the thing or get it sent CoD.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2537746)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
SNAP.He did phone me some months later to say he had been ill.That was two years ago.I also lost £20.00.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2537750)   #8
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i fell for exactly the same "pitch" almost to the word.

I think my 8 year old would be offended if I said he had painted the final result - it was more the work of a 5 yr old.

Trully terrible.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2537772)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know what size these paintings are, but they must be tiddly. No-one is going to do you a decent painting for £30. Stick a nought on it and then double it and you might begin to be looking at something worthwhile from a decent artist. It's like everything else in life; you get what you pay for. Caveat emptor.

Now, I'm going to lock this thread, as I think that the point has been made, and I don't want anything said that might become litigious. If you want to supply each other with further details etc, please do so by PM.
Closed Thread