Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2780887)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So whats next for the Korean International Circuit?

So now that the GP has come and gone, what's next for the Korean Internation Circuit? (KIC)

Apart from building a city around it, any word on changing any of the track, such as the pit lane exit.

I'm sure that there's plenty to do to the track.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2780896)   #2
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that besides wanting to let it settle and improve drainage there will be little that they want to do to the circuit. Costs them enough to have F1 their without making any major changes.

Only 2 other major events listed for the year too
Old 27 Oct 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2781098)   #3
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We'll have to wait until next year to see how the track has "bedded in" to see if it is any different. I don't think it is a particularly exciting track, but it is a lot better than some of the previous Tilke dromes. Despite having two very long straights on it, it does look quite difficult to overtake there.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2781125)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
So now that the GP has come and gone, what's next for the Korean Internation Circuit? (KIC)
Well my answer relates not to track modifications or expansion, but more from an event aspect..... So, whats next?

Announced in early September was The 2010 Korea Super Prix, to be held 26th–28th November at the Korean International Circuit. They will use the full F1 circuit, (not the shorter permanent circuit).

It is a Formula Three event, held from the late 1990's up to 2003, and held traditionally at the Changwon City Raceway. It was actually the first international race meeting ever held in Korea, and so was the precursor to the F1 GP. The event used to back to back as a season end sort of flyaway for F3, run as a warm up event prior to the classic Macao F3 / WTCC and Bike meeting, but has not been held since 2003. (It actually got replaced by the Bahrain Superprix).

I think Jenson Button actually raced at the Korean Super Prix in his F3 year in 1999, finishing on the podium....... his McLaren mate Lewis was on pole for the 2003 event.. Nico Rosberg, Robert Kubica, Nelson Piquet Junior, Heikki Kovalainen, Takuma Sato are other names since known in F1 circles to have competed at a Korean Superprix.

This year's event is actually being run as a sort of grand finale of the F3 year, with the worlds top F3 cars heading on to Korea straight from Macao.

Anyway, the event has been re-introduced, to be held in a months time at the KIC. It starts with a day of testing on Friday followed by qualifying on Saturday and a heat race before the main Super Prix race on Sunday.

Hopefully as an event it will be more fortunate with the weather than the F1 GP.

Last edited by E.B; 27 Oct 2010 at 12:20.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 13:57 (Ref:2781158)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The organiser seems to be aware of what needs to be done and is going to get on with it.

I think it should be a very good meeting next year, although it will always be at the mercy of the elements. The other thing that needs to happen is for the track surface to bed in and provide better natural drainage.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 20:22 (Ref:2781310)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly it will be a professional job there next year with perfect asphalt and drainage.

Points to a bore of a race.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2782323)   #7
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post

Apart from building a city around it, any word on changing any of the track, such as the pit lane exit.

I'm sure that there's plenty to do to the track.
if the F1 2010 video game is to be a reference, pit lane exit will go completely round the gravel trap for turns 1 & 2
Old 29 Oct 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2782355)   #8
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
if the F1 2010 video game is to be a reference, pit lane exit will go completely round the gravel trap for turns 1 & 2
There's no need to change the pit exit...
Old 31 Oct 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2783105)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think the pit enterance will have to be changed for next year, it was only the bad weather and safety cars etc that saved a possible accident there.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 00:09 (Ref:2784259)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe they just ought to finish the whole complex off, marina included.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2784274)   #11
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I think the pit enterance will have to be changed for next year, it was only the bad weather and safety cars etc that saved a possible accident there.
Petrov had an accident there, altho not while trying to pit. And nobody got hurt, except for Petrovs ego of course, and possibly his chances of landing a race seat for 2011
Old 3 Nov 2010, 03:30 (Ref:2784279)   #12
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think Australian V8 Supercars are supposed to be at the track in the spring, so it'll be interesting to see how they go.

I mentioned this in the "My Tracks" section, but I am extremely confident in saying that even though the buildings and marina are yet to be built, the land for them has already been divied up, and is thus out of reach to be used now to make changes to the track. In other words, I'm pretty sure there isn't the leeway to change the track/pit layout in any noticeable way now that it's in. Heck, I'm not sure there was any flexibility to change it by the time construction began.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 03:47 (Ref:2784280)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I think Australian V8 Supercars are supposed to be at the track in the spring, so it'll be interesting to see how they go.
Will this be on the full GP track, or one of the other configurations?
Old 3 Nov 2010, 04:16 (Ref:2784284)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm only aware of the two main courses, and considering the lack of length and preparation of the fully permanent circuit, I'd have to think the V8s will be using the full GP layout.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 04:20 (Ref:2784285)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Will this be on the full GP track, or one of the other configurations?
Right now the venue is off the calendar, but there are whispers that it may reappear when the right volume of Korean won shows up in Nerang...
Old 3 Nov 2010, 04:35 (Ref:2784287)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Right now the venue is off the calendar, but there are whispers that it may reappear when the right volume of Korean won shows up in Nerang...
I won't hold my breath.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 12:45 (Ref:2784398)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The Formula 3 Superprix is due to be held there later this month, right after Macau, but I saw a Tweet last night from one of the drivers saying the event had been cancelled. I wouldn't be surprised. The circuit isn't really ready yet and it was a minor miracle that the GP was completed.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2784536)   #18
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Yep
It has been cancelled (Autosport) for 2011. But the plan is to solve the problem and run it regularly from 2012 onward.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 01:42 (Ref:2784718)   #19
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Yep
It has been cancelled (Autosport) for 2011. But the plan is to solve the problem and run it regularly from 2012 onward.
Yes indeed it is off, which is a pity, if only from the fact that 30+ F3 cars on an end of term jamboree would have been likely fun.

Macau organiser Barry Bland said:
Quote:
"KAVO have had to cancel the Korea F3 Superprix, due to Force Majeure. We understand this is due to a legal technicality with the circuit, which appears to have been brought about by some objectors.

"It should be a temporary problem, but that is all we know at the moment. This is hugely disruptive and disappointing, and it is obvious that the cancellation will bring many associated problems. Our priority is now to get everyone home quickly after the Macau event."

Bland said he expected the "government-backed" project to resolve its issues fairly quickly, certainly in time for the F3 Superprix to run in 2011.

"I do hope so," he added. "We have a contract for it and should be able to revive it next year. The track should lend itself to a very good F3 race."
"Some objectors"? Tree Huggers in Korea???
Old 4 Nov 2010, 04:26 (Ref:2784741)   #20
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get someone other that Tilke to modify the track and make it exciting?
Old 4 Nov 2010, 04:38 (Ref:2784743)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
Get someone other that Tilke to modify the track and make it exciting?
Bernie wants it all in house.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 05:40 (Ref:2784753)   #22
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was pretty decent, with off camber corners etc. Certainly a few interesting design elements.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 06:16 (Ref:2784759)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
I thought it was pretty decent, with off camber corners etc. Certainly a few interesting design elements.
It certainly made a change from your normal Tilke track and it was anti-clock wise.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2785101)   #24
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Somewhat, but overall it's just another track that I don't think will become anything classic. Then again it could just be bore of F1 'racing'.