Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Nov 2010, 00:27 (Ref:2786072)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jenson Button left unharmed following armed attack on his car in Brazil, says McLaren

This was flashed up as breaking news on the BBC website. Otherwise no more information at present.

Scary stuff.

There's now a link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11704802
Old 7 Nov 2010, 00:50 (Ref:2786080)   #2
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
mclaren statement on the autosport site.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 01:08 (Ref:2786086)   #3
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
mclaren statement on the autosport site.
I'm having trouble accessing their site, could you post the link to McLaren's statement please? Thanks.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 01:14 (Ref:2786088)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Link to Autosport Here
Old 7 Nov 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2786097)   #5
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Thanks. What is sort of ironic, is Button was interviewed on the BBC after qualifying today and recounted how last year, after he only managed to qualify 14th, two Brazillians called out to him and as he turned towards them they laughed at him.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 04:22 (Ref:2786134)   #6
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's alot of crime in Brazil. I highly doubt that the attackers knew that one of the guys in the car was Jenson Button. They probably havent even heard of Jenson Button
Old 7 Nov 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2786278)   #7
parkingjedi
Racer

Bhutan
parkingjedi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good excuse for Bernie to pull the pin on the Brazilian GP. I am sure I can get double the money else where.
The World Cup and the Olympics both going there soon? crazy.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:27 (Ref:2786290)   #8
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it seems that mclaren security is not all its cracked up to be, remember in Oz when hamiltons car was hijacked by some wheelspinning yob just outside the circuit.....

oh hang on!
Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:54 (Ref:2786298)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crime is a serious problem in Brazil. I wouldn't be surprised if they could lose their Grand Prix because of this.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 11:23 (Ref:2786315)   #10
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just the sort of headline the sport needed right now. There's always the idiots in the world who have to ruin it for everyone else, isn't there?
Old 7 Nov 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2786320)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see it as a headline that is negative for the Sport (assuming that is what you meant).

This happened to some people from the Toyota team a few years back too. There are many stories like this from Brazilian GP weekend. And some judge in Brazil wants to put Massa behind bars!
Old 7 Nov 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2786335)   #12
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie wont dump the Brazilian GP. The market over there now is one of the top in the world.That will keep Bernie around for a while.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2786339)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aham... actually is all a bit of confusion ! They got to the wrong place where Vin Diesel is filming his next movie ! Crazy americans !

http://ego.globo.com/Gente/Noticias/...DO+SALGUE.html
Old 7 Nov 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2786351)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Just the sort of headline the sport needed right now. There's always the idiots in the world who have to ruin it for everyone else, isn't there?
i hope when you're penniless and living on the streets in a cardboard box that you don't get that sort of judgement made about you. some people are just trying to survive. it doesn't make it right, but have a little compassion and understanding. for every professional criminal there's plenty who resort to crime to feed themselves and their families.

i don't see how it's going to affect the gp either. the "facilities" are already pretty shoddy by f1 standards yet they keep going there. this happens every year - will buxton on twitter has said some sauber mechanics were successfully mugged at the same spot, and some fom guys were robbed earlier in the week. di grassi also said on radio 5 he'd been mugged recently too as well. c'est la vie.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2786370)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Without knowing any of the facts I conclude that Bononi is the culprit and should be arrested.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2786381)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's right ! They're just a bunch of amateurs... Nothing happened, it was an armored car and the driver was a policeman expert in evasive tactics as I heard. Button and co. hardly saw any action, they saw tehy had guns but that was all about it. Better than go to a movies and see some fake action, it makes you value your life much more than anything else !
Hey you see, this only happens in Brazil, you don't get it anywhere else !
Old 7 Nov 2010, 15:59 (Ref:2786421)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i hope when you're penniless and living on the streets in a cardboard box that you don't get that sort of judgement made about you. some people are just trying to survive. it doesn't make it right, but have a little compassion and understanding. for every professional criminal there's plenty who resort to crime to feed themselves and their families.
Ah yes,

Give a man a fish, he can eat for a day. Give him a gun and he can stop everyone else eating.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2786551)   #18
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From Jenson's comments to BBC one of the other teams (can't remember who he said) actually got robbed and lost equipment. Just because it was lowly engineers it hasnt made press!

To have 2 hand guns and a "machine gun" according to JB I don't think they are poor criminals.

My sister in law lost her wedding ring and passport while sat at traffic lights in Sao Paulo a few years ago, thankfully he was a bit dopy and tried it with someone else at the same place and the police caught him and got her stuff back. She's a local so a crime of opertunity.

The gang probably know that the F1 crowd will have expensive items, drivers, teams and even fans - a great loaction to do a few quick robberies.

But remember it's not just Brazil, Karun Chandhok had his lap top stolen at the Italian GP.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2786557)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
[QUOTE=elspethhardie;2786551]From Jenson's comments to BBC one of the other teams (can't remember who he said) actually got robbed and lost equipment. Just because it was lowly engineers it hasnt made press!QUOTE]

I heard that as well. I thought he said some of the Sauber team were robbed.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2786564)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This year?
In previous years it was Toyota. James Allen mentioned it on telly and forgot to mention that everyone was alright, annoying as it could have been (and was) one of my friends caught up in that!

Probably not mentioned unless it is a driver nowadays because it is unusual.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2786579)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=bjohnsonsmith;2786557]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie View Post
From Jenson's comments to BBC one of the other teams (can't remember who he said) actually got robbed and lost equipment. Just because it was lowly engineers it hasnt made press!QUOTE]

I heard that as well. I thought he said some of the Sauber team were robbed.

Sauber team members ...they took two backbacks, phones, passports etc

Rubbish stuff for an armed robbery but guns are apparently easy to get in Brazil ........
Old 7 Nov 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2786613)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie View Post
From Jenson's comments to BBC one of the other teams (can't remember who he said) actually got robbed and lost equipment. Just because it was lowly engineers it hasnt made press!

To have 2 hand guns and a "machine gun" according to JB I don't think they are poor criminals.

My sister in law lost her wedding ring and passport while sat at traffic lights in Sao Paulo a few years ago, thankfully he was a bit dopy and tried it with someone else at the same place and the police caught him and got her stuff back. She's a local so a crime of opertunity.

The gang probably know that the F1 crowd will have expensive items, drivers, teams and even fans - a great loaction to do a few quick robberies.

But remember it's not just Brazil, Karun Chandhok had his lap top stolen at the Italian GP.
Guns and "machine gun" are normal machinery, usually sponsored by druglords.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2786619)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
This year?
I was surprised no one commented here so far ! Every year we have this kind of thing, same stories, same complaining. People just can't go there expecting the best of worlds everywhere, and they know exactly what they'll find and where... this is the biggest metropolis of the southern hemisphere, it's only 3x London.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2786622)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Rubbish stuff for an armed robbery but guns are apparently easy to get in Brazil ........
There aren't shops for that, this I can guarantee you, do you have them in your place ?

But I believe criminals anywhere in the world doesn't have trouble getting them... specially when there are people making profit out of it.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2786626)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

i don't see how it's going to affect the gp either. the "facilities" are already pretty shoddy by f1 standards yet they keep going there. this happens every year - will buxton on twitter has said some sauber mechanics were successfully mugged at the same spot, and some fom guys were robbed earlier in the week. di grassi also said on radio 5 he'd been mugged recently too as well. c'est la vie.
Strange thing to say to ask someone to have compassion. It wasn't like he made a particularly controversial statement. How about having compassion for the people who are equally poor but don't resort to that?

Sao Paolo is notoriously dangerous. Apparently Mexico City and Caracas are even worse.