Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Jan 2014, 23:45 (Ref:3352647)   #51
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I imagine it will be cg

But it will fail there as it has elsehwere, they are just buying up anything that gives them airtime, and lets face it with red Bull selling it to anyone who will buy it, it isnt going to cost much.

Just watch youtube a few days after, its free there
Old 11 Jan 2014, 02:16 (Ref:3352688)   #52
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Grumpy sods...

There should be no moaning about the UK's deal. ITV4 will still be broadcasting its highlights after each weekend, BT will have live coverage and nightly highlights and Motors TV will be covering the WRC too apparently.

Outside of F1 the WRC now has one of the best motorsport TV deals in the UK! What a difference a year makes...
Old 11 Jan 2014, 10:17 (Ref:3352752)   #53
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I imagine it will be cg

But it will fail there as it has elsehwere, they are just buying up anything that gives them airtime, and lets face it with red Bull selling it to anyone who will buy it, it isnt going to cost much.

Just watch youtube a few days after, its free there
Can't decide on this. RedBull seem to be doing what NorthOne did. Remember the ESPN deal? Less than 10,000 viewers. How is that good? This isn't F1. There is a reason why WEC, DTM, Blancpain and other series stream on the internet and free. WRC is no difference to those series.

However, MotorsTV will have highlights, and are meant to be moving to Freeview in February - plus the ITV4 highlights. So, it's a lot better than last year.
Old 11 Jan 2014, 11:26 (Ref:3352768)   #54
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed Arnage

WRC is a very poor relation to most motorsport, its just the people selling it seem to think its awesome

I would imagine rallycross gets better viewing figures these days.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3353317)   #55
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
Grumpy sods...

There should be no moaning about the UK's deal. ITV4 will still be broadcasting its highlights after each weekend, BT will have live coverage and nightly highlights and Motors TV will be covering the WRC too apparently.

Outside of F1 the WRC now has one of the best motorsport TV deals in the UK! What a difference a year makes...

Initially after seeing the headline I thought, great another one just taking the money and sod the future of the sport. But as you say if this is correct then its an improvement.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3354366)   #56
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Having watched the season preview on BT, I am actually quite positive.

Very good car/driver lineup this year. Certain to provide entertainment. Looking forward to see how BT cover it, Live stages sounds goooooood.

Let's turn this ship around!
Old 16 Jan 2014, 02:27 (Ref:3354524)   #57
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
The rally fan prefers other Car types but the manufacturers want mainstream cars for márketing reasons.

Marc Duez will run at Monte with a Porsche fia-gt spec.
Listed as a 996 so I guess it's a pretty old FIA GT3 car, pity as it would've been incredible to see a 2013-spec 997 GT3 with it's wide body and barn door of a rear wing tearing up the Monte.

What kind of pace is an RGT-class car expected to run at in WRC?
Old 16 Jan 2014, 09:04 (Ref:3354609)   #58
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to say - and despite the fact I'm certain Seb Mk.2 will take the title - this is the most excited I've been about the start of the WRC season for a number of years.

I like the new look WRC website; lot less cluttered and easier to find things.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 09:11 (Ref:3354613)   #59
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
WRC is go!

SS1 Kubica leads! Who'd seen that one coming? Neuville has stopped in SS1. This could be a very interesting year for the WRC (about time!)
Old 16 Jan 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3354691)   #60
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I have to say - and despite the fact I'm certain Seb Mk.2 will take the title - this is the most excited I've been about the start of the WRC season for a number of years.
Likewise. I hope/think one or two drivers might push him a lot harder this year, particularly if the Hyundai can hit the ground running like VW did last year.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3354702)   #61
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
particularly if the Hyundai can hit the ground running like VW did last year.
So far the only thing Hyundai have hit is a telegraph pole!

(oh and possibly technical problems now for Sordo after SS4). Not the start Hyundai were looking for - Sordo looked to have good pace too. Meeke is currently 2nd and Evans 5th so a good start for both.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 13:58 (Ref:3354710)   #62
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*sigh* after his far less crashy end to last season you'd have hoped neuville had a handle on his shunt habit. apparently not!

typical vague troublesome monte conditions though even up to 2000-2500m they're not sure where the freezing point is going to be, so it could well rain and then freeze overnight leading to some quite interesting conditions round the turini area stages...
Old 16 Jan 2014, 14:11 (Ref:3354714)   #63
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
typical vague troublesome monte conditions though even up to 2000-2500m they're not sure where the freezing point is going to be, so it could well rain and then freeze overnight leading to some quite interesting conditions round the turini area stages...
Good isn't it? The tyre choices are looking to be crucial - they're carrying 2 'spares' that can be different compounds so some of the crews are running differing compounds on each corner. Who's running what when and where looks to be making a big difference.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3354795)   #64
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
reading a weather forecast for a ski station slightly further north, they have a different forecast on their day sheet than their 3 day advanced view... the day report for tomorrow says snow, cloud and a lack of visibility. the advanced report says it'll be rubbish overnight but it'll clear up during the day and be +2 at 2000m... meanwhile on the coast it's going to rain till next week.

local knowledge will be key. there are some valleys round there that are more prone to snowfall and rain than others, and it's not really something the weather forecasters can predict, it's just something that locals know. in my mind there's a herd of people in team shirts buying pastis for an old fella propping up the bar in sospel who keeps shrugging and going "ouai, maiiiiis..."

eeeexxxcellent. /mr burns
Old 17 Jan 2014, 08:42 (Ref:3355052)   #65
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Did anyone notice that Motors seem to be running a daily highlights show? Spotted it last night at 1035. Assume this will be each day.

EDIT: Ignore that I think somebody already posted earlier that they would be showing daily highlights.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 09:45 (Ref:3355077)   #66
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, true. MotorsTV gave daily highlights and there are rumours they will move onto the Freeview platform in February......here's hoping.
BTSport will also have daily highlights and Live stages, including 1 today at 12:00. Can't wait.

So far, it's been a fascinating Rally; as ever with the Monte, tyre choice is crucial - so it should be a huge surprise that Bouffier is leading. He did win in 2011 thanks to an inspired tyre choice. I think Ogier will eventually take over, but the other places are still up for grabs. Some promising performances from Meeke, Kubica, Ostberg and Evans.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3355163)   #67
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Kubica has binned it (from 4th) Meeke still running 3rd and Evans 5th. Ogier leads....
Old 17 Jan 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3355168)   #68
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Kubica has binned it (from 4th) Meeke still running 3rd and Evans 5th. Ogier leads....
Shame Kubica couldn't keep it on the road, he seemed to have some fantastic pace at times.

Great drive from Bouffier so far, got my fingers crossed Meeke can hang on to that podium spot. Ostberg seems to have picked up the pace on SS9 and SS10 though, so the gap to fourth is narrowing.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3355182)   #69
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
this is something i can't get my head around. how is kubica still on the "hasn't figured out the risk management in order to keep it on the road" side of the rally fence? he's potentially a really great driver but until he figures that out surely he's not much good?

or am i missing a fundamental point?
Old 17 Jan 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3355186)   #70
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
this is something i can't get my head around. how is kubica still on the "hasn't figured out the risk management in order to keep it on the road" side of the rally fence?
Yep - you'd have thought that he of all people would have an understanding of that.

Quote:
he's potentially a really great driver but until he figures that out surely he's not much good?
Well he's clearly very fast - he just needs to wind it in a bit. The pace is there but he's not going to get the results he should unless he can eradicate the costly errors (pretty much like Latvala really).
Old 18 Jan 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3355570)   #71
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was amused by Malcolm Wilson's reported comments on Kubica on the MSport web page. Apparently he was 'absolutely delighted' at Kubica's performance. I wonder what he really said when Kubica went off...

Fingers crossed for Meeke over Turini tonight. Some good stage times from Evans too - I'm surprised more has not been made of this in the coverage. It wouldn't surprise me if Evans is close to Meeke at the end of the season.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3355582)   #72
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I was amused by Malcolm Wilson's reported comments on Kubica on the MSport web page. Apparently he was 'absolutely delighted' at Kubica's performance. I wonder what he really said when Kubica went off...
I think he has every reason to be delighted at Kubica's performance. It's encouraging to see that he has a lot of speed with so little experience. So he crashed, and will probably crash many times again during this season, but the pace is there and with experience he will make fewer mistakes. Unless he is like Novikov or Latvala. I dont see anything strange in what Wilson said.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3355602)   #73
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
I think he has every reason to be delighted at Kubica's performance. It's encouraging to see that he has a lot of speed with so little experience.
i don't know. from a circuit background they're either scared by the trees and walls, or utterly fearless and used to being able to get away with mistakes. he has plenty of experience in driving which is why he's fast. he has very little experience in keeping his speed and mistakes under control, which is what is stopping him being really great imo.

kimi was the same. you can't criticise their driving abilities, they're utterly brilliant but there's more to being a good rally driver than just ragging the trousers off it.

the weather around the mercantour is utterly rubbish at the moment - freezing point tonight is around 1200/1500m, though they note it could be lower towards the italian border. turini is at 1600m, iirc? 10-20cm of snow is expected in the tall bits, and it's piddling it down on the coast too. tyre choice should be interesting!
Old 18 Jan 2014, 14:06 (Ref:3355609)   #74
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are tweets saying that there is a lot of snow at Turini and no so much at Sospel. Most of the drivers with 4 snow tyres and 2 ordinary tyres in the boot.

The Turini has started !
Old 18 Jan 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3355610)   #75
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post

Fingers crossed for Meeke over Turini tonight. Some good stage times from Evans too - I'm surprised more has not been made of this in the coverage. It wouldn't surprise me if Evans is close to Meeke at the end of the season.
Wilson should be talking about Kubica's bank notes.