Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 25 Feb 2016, 10:40 (Ref:3617640)   #51
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Pat Doran now confirmed for a full British Championship in a Citroen C4 - so that's who it was for!

http://www.rallycrossbrx.com/news/pa...ith-citroen-c4
Old 25 Feb 2016, 11:11 (Ref:3617655)   #52
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope Pat can be competitive in the C4. I personally don't think he has ever looked as quick in the DS3 as he did in any of his Fords, hopefully the C4 will suit him better.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 08:59 (Ref:3617909)   #53
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's an article on Rallycross World suggesting that Steve Harris tested at Lydden with Pat and Dan Rooke, and is expected to compete in the series. So that's 10 cars without Procter, Grant, Mundy, Anson, Horton, McCann, Mad Mark and Tohill.... Can't wait for Lydden at Easter (possibly more excited for that than the WRX, especially with the Belgians coning over).
Old 26 Feb 2016, 22:13 (Ref:3618106)   #54
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInTheHedge View Post
Expect another big surprise shortly......
A car that has been mentioned previously in this tread but a driver which hasn't 😉
Still another big announcement to be made 🏁🏁
Old 27 Feb 2016, 10:42 (Ref:3618203)   #55
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
In the meantime... Procter confirms as many British rounds as possible and maybe the ERX too? There is reference in the article to a full season. So if it's not a full BRX season then maybe ERX or Challenge?
Old 27 Feb 2016, 10:46 (Ref:3618205)   #56
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
In the meantime... Procter confirms as many British rounds as possible and maybe the ERX too? There is reference in the article to a full season. So if it's not a full BRX season then maybe ERX or Challenge?
There was an article posted on Twitter about his plans but I didn't read it unfortunately. In the tweet though it stood that he will do Lydden and Loheac in the WRX
Old 27 Feb 2016, 11:06 (Ref:3618209)   #57
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
There was an article posted on Twitter about his plans but I didn't read it unfortunately. In the tweet though it stood that he will do Lydden and Loheac in the WRX
As Hickey says, there is a quote from Kevin Procter in the press release which includes the lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Procter (Cartersport Press Release)
Neil and the team at ATM Engineering have done a great job and we are ready for a full season so thanks to them and our sponsors, Procters Luxury Coaches, for the opportunity to compete this year. We will do as many of the British rounds as possible, which don’t clash with the ERC and am looking for a good result at our home round of the World Championship at Lydden Hill in May also.
...stating he will do as many British rounds as possible that don't clash with the ERC does seem to imply that he will do the ERC?

The rest of the quote can be found here:

http://www.cartersport.com/zz-archiv...-year-in-2016/
Old 27 Feb 2016, 12:35 (Ref:3618224)   #58
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Is the ERC the challenge then? Would like to see him do a while season of ERX look forward to seeing him at Loheac too.

Just looked at article, suggests it's the ERX rather than the challenge series. Good stuff
Old 27 Feb 2016, 14:10 (Ref:3618241)   #59
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would think if you had the money you would rather race for a championship where you will get some recognition or some coverage for winning.

You will NOT get any of that in ERC these days, it has been ousted from the tv coverage, and the competitors have been removed from the WRX series.

Surely if you were a driver you would want to race in a series where you were appreciated and a true part of it, not just a hindrance and a financial contributor as ERC guys are now.
Old 27 Feb 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3618252)   #60
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I guess one of the draws, irrespective of TV coverage, is that attendance at events is now quite significant, arguably more so than in the ERC days. Plus the marketing, social media, general coverage as a sport has increased. Maybe this is making it easier to attract sponsors which may explain why the ERX is proving to be popular this year despite, as you say, being treated as second fiddle. Same goes for the support classes too, Touring car was at its most popular last year, S1600 not so much though.

I just don't think that the Challenge has (or ever will have) that critical mass if a following to attract sponsors in order to make it viable.

We will have to wait to see how Quest covers the support classes, including ERX , this year. Hopefully in the two hour love show they will continue to show ERX and hopefully at least the semis and finals of the super1600/tourungcar/Lites. We shall see...
Old 27 Feb 2016, 21:49 (Ref:3618300)   #61
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would suggest crowds are only that big in France and they are so big there as to be a bit of a freak event.

Lydden everyone tells me gets bigger crowds every year but I see photos and evidence from donkeys years ago that go against that, they are good and probably the biggest but you can only fit so many folk in there. Lydden has been getting its biggest crowds for about 20 years running as I recall!

Belgium looks fairly sparse as do Barcelona and Hockenheim. Estering is fine, always has been and of course Sweden is amazing, but Hell looks pretty average really.

Speccy numbers are important now for one reason, money, they are charging more and more for events as the organisers need that money to pay back the nonsensical hosting fees a brand new series are levying, while also charging teams and drivers huge amounts for transport and s=things like broadband! WTF

I was not talking about the challenge thing, that is a pointless series really, almost like the one that runs in Eastern Europe, only for a few countries.

ERX or whatever its supposed to be called needs to move away, it won't, but it needs to. The issue now is that is is populated by rich privateers who dont seem to mind paying good money for nothing. When in the past they at least got a few seconds of coverage.
Old 28 Feb 2016, 22:25 (Ref:3618506)   #62
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When can we expect to see Croft Round 1 entry list?
Old 29 Feb 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3618752)   #63
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
There's a link in the twitter bit of the www.rallycrossbrx.com website linking to the Croft circuit tweet saying the entry list looks great get your tickets now. So presumably it's not far away...
Old 29 Feb 2016, 17:30 (Ref:3618775)   #64
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
There seems to be a snapshot of it online. Bellevue in a fiesta is a big surprise. Permanent? Forgot about Flaherty too! No Grint or Scott. And only 5 supranational entries.
Hopefully it's not finalised yet..
Old 29 Feb 2016, 18:05 (Ref:3618785)   #65
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Snapshot is on the British Rallycross website:

http://www.rallycrossbrx.com/news/ms...oft-entry-list
Old 29 Feb 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3618787)   #66
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
The news article suggests there are 16 supercars with Grint included too but still suggests poor entry in other classes. Hope that improves.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 18:43 (Ref:3618795)   #67
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInTheHedge View Post
Still another big announcement to be made 🏁🏁
Bellerby in the ex Binks Fiesta........ That could be the one to watch!
Old 1 Mar 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3618988)   #68
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
The news article suggests there are 16 supercars with Grint included too but still suggests poor entry in other classes. Hope that improves.
Supercar looks good but where are all the supernationals? That used to be the best class by some distance very thin now though. The entries that are there look competitive but the lack of depth is shocking. Interesting that Gary Dixon is back in the Astra - has he ditched the VX220?
Old 1 Mar 2016, 19:30 (Ref:3619073)   #69
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
It is a class that has been on its way ut for some considerable time Bert

Absolutely no direction from the rulemakers on what to allow, so they just seem to allow anything, and that means money in engines or weight usually win, whereas in the past there as often a bit of ingenuity or a simple formula that could win. Evans Micra was the beginning of the end and Bellerby's Lotus pushed it out of reach, you woudl hvae a great grid if you could find the goo cars from the last 10 years or so, Ward, Beggs, Rea, Boak, Bellerby, Simpson, Turpin, Broatch etc etc.

The class has been left to rot after many attempts to sort it. The Spaceframe idea was the final nail in the coffin, let's make a class where you have to fabricate a chassis to succeed! doesn't take a genius to work out why that failed utterly!

There are ways out, and there are some countries where supernational is thriving, but they have a solid base of cars and engineers that can back them up.

We did have here, but blokes now would rather rally a Mk2 than rallycross it, that's where all the tech is, all you need is some rallycross guys to start using it.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 00:09 (Ref:3619149)   #70
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
It is a class that has been on its way ut for some considerable time Bert

Absolutely no direction from the rulemakers on what to allow, so they just seem to allow anything, and that means money in engines or weight usually win, whereas in the past there as often a bit of ingenuity or a simple formula that could win. Evans Micra was the beginning of the end and Bellerby's Lotus pushed it out of reach, you woudl hvae a great grid if you could find the goo cars from the last 10 years or so, Ward, Beggs, Rea, Boak, Bellerby, Simpson, Turpin, Broatch etc etc.

The class has been left to rot after many attempts to sort it. The Spaceframe idea was the final nail in the coffin, let's make a class where you have to fabricate a chassis to succeed! doesn't take a genius to work out why that failed utterly!

There are ways out, and there are some countries where supernational is thriving, but they have a solid base of cars and engineers that can back them up.

We did have here, but blokes now would rather rally a Mk2 than rallycross it, that's where all the tech is, all you need is some rallycross guys to start using it.
Super national, production and historic rx isn't dead just look at the strength and depth here;

http://clubmansrallycross.weebly.com/r1-march-13th-blyton.html

And I'm sure with over a week to go more entries will come!!
Old 2 Mar 2016, 14:10 (Ref:3619287)   #71
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the Croft entry list yesterday and whilst there it showed a good turn out of Supercar-drivers, some of the other classes looked a little lighter than I'd expected. Then I saw there were several drivers in Retro Rallycross who will be there but weren't on the entry list. There is still time for more cars and drivers.
I'll try to ask Gary Dixon about his plans. My impression is he is developing the VX220 but this is taking longer than expected. In the meantime, he's bringing the Astra out and getting his RX fix that way. Good luck to him, I say!!
Cheers Steve
Old 2 Mar 2016, 14:39 (Ref:3619299)   #72
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I hope that's the case. They also boast 16 supercars but the list only shows 14 (no Ollie or Grint). Hopefully itd bigger than first thought. Especially the supernational class. To be honest the others are about as good or bad as they've been in recent years.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 16:31 (Ref:3619329)   #73
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Caught View Post
I saw the Croft entry list yesterday and whilst there it showed a good turn out of Supercar-drivers, some of the other classes looked a little lighter than I'd expected. Then I saw there were several drivers in Retro Rallycross who will be there but weren't on the entry list. There is still time for more cars and drivers.
I'll try to ask Gary Dixon about his plans. My impression is he is developing the VX220 but this is taking longer than expected. In the meantime, he's bringing the Astra out and getting his RX fix that way. Good luck to him, I say!!
Cheers Steve
With regards to Gary and the VX220 this is simply down to the fact with the new HANS device rules in place and the hight of Gary and the confined nature of the VX220 driving position Gary simply cant fit in the car with the HANS device on, therefore had to revert back to the re-built Astra.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 16:58 (Ref:3619337)   #74
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamakiRX View Post
With regards to Gary and the VX220 this is simply down to the fact with the new HANS device rules in place and the hight of Gary and the confined nature of the VX220 driving position Gary simply cant fit in the car with the HANS device on, therefore had to revert back to the re-built Astra.
Thanks for the info - that's rather unfortunate but not the first instance of drivers struggling to fit into their cars wearing a HANS device. I know some are using the Simpson hybrid device instead of the HANS as a solution to that problem - maybe not suitable for all though (and about twice the price of a HANS device).
Old 2 Mar 2016, 18:51 (Ref:3619370)   #75
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I would have thought it might be obvious that HANS would be coming to most motorsport, but some sort of early warning might hvae been a good idea. I think the issue is Gary is heavily involed with Vauxhall with his business so would ahve to use one or certainly prefer to.

Regarding numbers in other classes, they have been on the decline for years and are NOT a reason to attend meetings fo me. Certain folk on here are VERY close the championships and will always post positive comment.

Fair enough, but as a fan I beg to differ, just as strongly I am afraid. Supermod is now a rather sad example of what once was a 40 or 50 car field spread over 2 classes.