Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Jun 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3742239)   #1
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP2 pole at LeMans faster than 2007 LMP1 pole

Can anybody explain what the ACO's reasoning for giving LMP2 such a huge boost in speeds over last year. It's (pole - 3:25.352) actually faster than the LMP1 pole for 2007 (3:26.344)

Not that I'm complaining. I like faster cars, but it seems pretty incredible how much faster they are than last year.

Note: I don't think there have been any significant track changes that should be factored in that would nullify my statement above?

Last edited by Danathar; 16 Jun 2017 at 16:05.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 15:52 (Ref:3742240)   #2
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
To make it more exciting for both pros and amateurs? The quality of drivers in LMP2 has been steadily going up and I would say has hit a peak this year. There are also more LMP2 cars on the grid than ever.

The problem is that the Oreca is unbeatable at the moment but that's a different story.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3742241)   #3
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Can anybody explain what the ACO's reasoning for giving LMP2 such a huge boost in speeds over last year. It's (pole - 3:25.352) actually faster than the LMP1 pole for 2007 (3:26.344)

Not that I'm complaining. I like faster cars, but it seems pretty incredible how much faster they are than last year.
To give the LMP2s enough power that they would not have to dive bomb the GTE cars under braking. With the GTE cars getting faster and faster, it was becoming harder for LMP2s to pass down the straights. It was increasingly common for them to have to outbreak cars, which was causing potential problems.

The faster LMP2 cars can overtake GTE cars in a straight line much easier, so the LMP2 drivers don't need to take as many risks.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3742242)   #4
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah and has been faster than 2011 pole too.
Not surprised if next year lmp2 pole will be in 3.22-3.23 range (actually 2012-2013 pole range)
Old 16 Jun 2017, 16:02 (Ref:3742243)   #5
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorchess View Post
To make it more exciting for both pros and amateurs? The quality of drivers in LMP2 has been steadily going up and I would say has hit a peak this year. There are also more LMP2 cars on the grid than ever.

The problem is that the Oreca is unbeatable at the moment but that's a different story.

Dallara shown to be a really good car in ELMS in its standard bodywork. Guess ligier too is not that bad at all.
The real deal is that best teams and best drivers use oreca's.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3742244)   #6
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
To give the LMP2s enough power that they would not have to dive bomb the GTE cars under braking. With the GTE cars getting faster and faster, it was becoming harder for LMP2s to pass down the straights. It was increasingly common for them to have to outbreak cars, which was causing potential problems.

The faster LMP2 cars can overtake GTE cars in a straight line much easier, so the LMP2 drivers don't need to take as many risks.
Ahh..so it was driven by the GTE class. That makes sense. It's gunna be weird though seeing P2 cars possibly pass a P1 car on the straight (from what I've read)
Old 16 Jun 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3742245)   #7
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Ahh..so it was driven by the GTE class. That makes sense. It's gunna be weird though seeing P2 cars possibly pass a P1 car on the straight (from what I've read)

unlikely but not impossible. According to onboards I watched during FP and Q sessions, Toyota and Porsche hit >330km/h at the end of first section of main straight; oreca are in the range of 322-323km/h, ligier barely can hit 320km/h, dallara is faster but however < 330km/h.
Of course Porsche and Toyota acceleration make them uncatchable for lmp2.

Guess biggest issues for lmp1 will be to cross the way with a lmp2 in porsche sector, having both kind of cars almost the same cornering speed
Old 16 Jun 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3742246)   #8
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
That's not going to happen. A lot of people only see top speed numbers but don't take into account how they are achieved.

Watch some onboards from qualifying, LMP1H cars are still faster on the straight as a whole and have no trouble passing P2 cars anywhere. Except the Porsche curves, but they can't pass GTE cars there either.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3742252)   #9
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are also important factors not linked to the LMP2 :
  • the track has been resurfaced in the Hunaudières, the Porsche curves and circuit Bugatti ;
  • the tires have progressed since 2007.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 17:34 (Ref:3742274)   #10
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
There are also important factors not linked to the LMP2 :
  • the track has been resurfaced in the Hunaudières, the Porsche curves and circuit Bugatti ;
  • the tires have progressed since 2007.

tires improved, but most of all aero giant step forward.
Before R15 debut, aero development in lmp1 and lmp2 wasn't manufacturers main focus.
That's why more than 2007 lmp1 should be compared to more recent cars; at example silverstone lmp2 pole was just 1 second slower than 2012 hybrid lmp1.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3742284)   #11
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
unlikely but not impossible. According to onboards I watched during FP and Q sessions, Toyota and Porsche hit >330km/h at the end of first section of main straight; oreca are in the range of 322-323km/h, ligier barely can hit 320km/h, dallara is faster but however < 330km/h.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorchess View Post
That's not going to happen. A lot of people only see top speed numbers but don't take into account how they are achieved.

Watch some onboards from qualifying, LMP1H cars are still faster on the straight as a whole and have no trouble passing P2 cars anywhere. Except the Porsche curves, but they can't pass GTE cars there either.
It's also where the 'top speed' equipment is positioned, to get the top speeds for LMP2/GTE they need to be where they are. For LMP1H they need to be much further up the track before the fuel limit kicks in and they start coasting. And of course on to the Mulsanne or out of either chicane the LMP1Hs will fly past like everyone else is nailed to the floor.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3742304)   #12
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fast lap times are exciting but one of the big attractions of ACO sportscars for me were the different shapes, sounds and smaller constructors like radical and norma.