Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 13 Feb 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3711872)   #176
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nowhere to hide now for Rowland. He's got bags of pace, but I question his racecraft when his back's against the wall. Too often last year he got into silly fights when he killed his tyres.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3711896)   #177
LavidaLoca
Racer

LavidaLoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully dams can go back to its best pace after last year disaster
Old 13 Feb 2017, 22:46 (Ref:3711921)   #178
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Nowhere to hide now for Rowland. He's got bags of pace, but I question his racecraft when his back's against the wall. Too often last year he got into silly fights when he killed his tyres.
Proper racer matt!!

Shame the swashbuckling hard charger style is not rewarded these days. Great to watch though.

However he admits he needed to learn how to manage tyres better. In other words he has had to train himself to slow down to suit the regs!!!

I hope he and DAMS can be in contention every weekend this year.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 23:04 (Ref:3711925)   #179
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Proper racer matt!!

Shame the swashbuckling hard charger style is not rewarded these days. Great to watch though.

However he admits he needed to learn how to manage tyres better. In other words he has had to train himself to slow down to suit the regs!!!

I hope he and DAMS can be in contention every weekend this year.
Watched him since karting - awesomely fast.

Was in a poor team last year - hence the over-driving.

100% title challenger this time out.

Thing is though, what's the end-game? If he wins the title at 25 - where next? He's a top driver, with some good UK backing, but nowhere near enough for F1...
Old 14 Feb 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3712056)   #180
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Watched him since karting - awesomely fast.

Was in a poor team last year - hence the over-driving.

100% title challenger this time out.

Thing is though, what's the end-game? If he wins the title at 25 - where next? He's a top driver, with some good UK backing, but nowhere near enough for F1...
Same old story for Brits no matter how good they are.

I doubt Renault will do anything more now Vasseur has gone. Abiteboul wouldn't know a potential decent driver from his elbow! That bloke's just a box ticker and there to keep the board happy.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3712132)   #181
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Same old story for Brits no matter how good they are.
Looks like no RSF drivers will make it to F1, sadly. Even their financial backing isn't enough.
Old 15 Feb 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3712407)   #182
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ghiotto confirmed at Russian time; King at MP.

Short of Albon being confirmed at ART, we still have 2 seats at each of Campos, Trident and Rapax left to fill (plus the two "Hilmer" seats that I assume don't really exist)
Old 15 Feb 2017, 18:22 (Ref:3712438)   #183
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pleased for Luca, he has got to be aiming for top three at the very least really hasn't he.
Old 15 Feb 2017, 21:29 (Ref:3712459)   #184
el_cat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Pleased for Luca, he has got to be aiming for top three at the very least really hasn't he.
I suppose it depends on whether he can get on top of the tyres, as I seem to recall that he had a habit of eating them up last season and losing places as a result. He'll certainly be a contender.

On the subject of tyres, are they running the same tyres as last season or are they changing spec in line with F1?

I'm more interested to see who takes the Campos, Rapax and Trident seats. They tend to be the more, shall we say, leftfield choices. Philo Armand anybody? Are there any rumours as to who might be in line for these seats?
Old 16 Feb 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3712541)   #185
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
I'm more interested to see who takes the Campos, Rapax and Trident seats. They tend to be the more, shall we say, leftfield choices. Philo Armand anybody? Are there any rumours as to who might be in line for these seats?
Well, they struggled with Mitch Evans and Sean Gelael last year but their previous two seasons in the GP2 Series were rather positive with Arthur Pic and Rio Haryanto. In fact, they signed up Evans and Gelael soon and the same goes for Pic and Haryanto.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3712553)   #186
LavidaLoca
Racer

LavidaLoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would not be surprised to see Dani Juncadella either at Rappax or Campos after he got dropped from Mercedes DTM
Old 16 Feb 2017, 13:21 (Ref:3712594)   #187
el_cat
Racer

Well, taking post season testing as a guide:

Campos tested Palou, Orudzhev and Juncadella
Trident tested Marciello, Armand and Jeffri
Rapax ran Cecotto, Ghiotto and de Vries

Other drivers who tested elsewhere include Illott, Giovinazzi, Hoher, Seralles, Ragunathan and del Plano.

Ghiotto, Illott and Oredzhev we know are spoken for next season, whilst Marciello, Giovinazzi, del Plano and - to an extent - Seralles aren't really serious contenders for a seat. Obviously someone could be in line for a ride who didn't do the test, but it doesn't help identify any potential suspects.

I for one would like to see Palou and Juncadella in GP2 though

Last edited by el_cat; 16 Feb 2017 at 13:32.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3712608)   #188
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According Spain´s Todo Racing magazine, which interviewed Daniel Juncadella recently, he is set to make switch to GT racing sooner rather than later. And Álex Palou... hmmm. I think he could follow in his footsteps. In fact, he already contested a Ferrari Challenge event last October in Jerez.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3712665)   #189
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Marciello said he was done with single seaters did he not?

Are any other relativly young recently dumped DTM drivers a possibility?
Old 17 Feb 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3712895)   #190
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current grid is as follows:

Prema - Charles Leclerc, Antonio Fuoco
Racing Engineering - Louis Delétraz, Gustav Malja
Russian Time - Luca Ghiotto, Artem Markelov
ART Grand Prix - Nobu Matsushita, TBC
DAMS - Oliver Rowland, Nicholas Latifi
Campos Racing - TBC x2
MP Motorsport - Sergio Sette Camara, Jordan King
Trident - TBC
Rapax - TBC
Arden - Norman Nato, Sean Geleal

Perhaps Armand and Jeffri could keep Trident on the grid for 2017, but with capable hands, they can deliver - as Ghiotto proved. Orudzhev at Campos too could be possible. I guess we'll wait and see.
Old 17 Feb 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3712913)   #191
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Orudzhev will drive Formula V8 3.5 for AVF
Old 17 Feb 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3712919)   #192
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Rapax and Trident were quick cars last year in my opinion. I know Cecotto said he was hoping to get the money together in an interview before Christmas but no idea how that is panning out for him, also i assumed De Vries was aiming for a Rapax seat after testing with them but that seems quiet as well.
Old 17 Feb 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3712920)   #193
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canamasas seems to be angling for a return as well.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3712979)   #194
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thought Albon was nailed on at ART?
Old 18 Feb 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3713006)   #195
el_cat
Racer

Quote:
Thought Albon was nailed on at ART?
I think he is, but for whatever reason its not been announced yet. The general consensus though is the ART seat is his
Old 18 Feb 2017, 22:17 (Ref:3713057)   #196
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did forget to mention Albon in my post, but as he wasn't confirmed I didn't want to put him on a list - such an act requires some form of trigger warning. The grid is looking quite strong but I'm struggling to see how all of the seats will be filled, even with Carlin out. Maybe I'm missing something...
Old 19 Feb 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3713179)   #197
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Hmm I'm wondering how too!

There's plenty of drivers about but it's a stupidly expensive series in the current climate.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 18:22 (Ref:3713184)   #198
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think a substantial number of drivers budgets peak at formula renault eurocup levels. but if you look at the size of teams involved and where the money is spent it's hard to see how that amount of money could stretch to a noisier, higher maintenance car with more people needed to run it.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3713494)   #199
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think a substantial number of drivers budgets peak at formula renault eurocup levels. but if you look at the size of teams involved and where the money is spent it's hard to see how that amount of money could stretch to a noisier, higher maintenance car with more people needed to run it.
The FR budget is equivalent to an F3 budget of 15-20 years ago or something like that?
Old 20 Feb 2017, 20:34 (Ref:3713513)   #200
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in real money terms or just numbers?