Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Oct 2016, 14:46 (Ref:3679771)   #1
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British Rallycross Grand Prix 80's

I still miss them so much. The GP's were such a spectacle in there peake. Imagine this now. Rallycross GP at Lydden over two days. Eight car fields, no joker plan. Supercar entries first. Then whatever spaces left touring cars, supernationals, super 1600's etc all mixed together. Old format ten car C,B,and Final. Wouldn't be hard would it.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 18:26 (Ref:3679812)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great Barrie, just not at Lydden!
Old 13 Oct 2016, 21:42 (Ref:3679844)   #3
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could stil possibly work
Open invitation to all World, Euro and Challenge Supercars and also invite top 5 finishers in all national championships.
2 day event - supercars only
Old 14 Oct 2016, 08:11 (Ref:3679933)   #4
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lydden does make the most sense for venue as its so close to Dover, it's surely the closest UK circuit for European drivers.

I agree with everything else suggested: apart from the 10 car finals. The handful of Supercar races I have seen run at Lydden with a 10 car grid have always resulted in major damage for someone at turn one (and the most recent instance of that was with the joker lap in use: I imagine it would be even worse without).

I would personally much rather see 8 car grids, everyone making it round the first corner and more cars able to race!
Old 14 Oct 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3680065)   #5
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, run it at Brands Hatch, much better facilities
Old 14 Oct 2016, 19:28 (Ref:3680073)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInTheHedge View Post
could stil possibly work
Only possible with a big prize fund...
Old 14 Oct 2016, 19:28 (Ref:3680074)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Lydden does make the most sense for venue as its so close to Dover, it's surely the closest UK circuit for European drivers.

I agree with everything else suggested: apart from the 10 car finals. The handful of Supercar races I have seen run at Lydden with a 10 car grid have always resulted in major damage for someone at turn one (and the most recent instance of that was with the joker lap in use: I imagine it would be even worse without).

I would personally much rather see 8 car grids, everyone making it round the first corner and more cars able to race!
Large grids don't work, see also GRC.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3680080)   #8
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rod Birley, you must have been on the entry of a few of the early GP's ? Ten car finals at Brands Hatch were fine, track wasn't a lot different at the start, longer straight but tighter right hander.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 20:55 (Ref:3680093)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It worked at Brands because there was a long drag into the first corner, but it didnt always work, Gary Baker, Jos Sterkens, Steve Palmer, numerous other ave rolled there and at high speed.

Brands is never going to happen, Palmer wouldn't pay the host fees in the first place and there is no track there anymore to run rallycross on. And IMG are too tied in with Doran.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 21:31 (Ref:3680099)   #10
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, in a Porsche
Old 15 Oct 2016, 00:45 (Ref:3680113)   #11
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
It worked at Brands because there was a long drag into the first corner, but it didnt always work, Gary Baker, Jos Sterkens, Steve Palmer, numerous other ave rolled there and at high speed.

Brands is never going to happen, Palmer wouldn't pay the host fees in the first place and there is no track there anymore to run rallycross on. And IMG are too tied in with Doran.
**** img out of it and let JP run his own event. The original circuit would only really turf a bit of the inside of Paddock up! Other obstacles like the gate at the bottom of the pits can be overcome.

I know Rod to chat to i'd love a chat or beer with Chunder on here we must have crossed paths sometime.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 10:11 (Ref:3680188)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Haha, yes indeed I have had a few pm's from Rod over the years especially when Lydden was going through its turmoil!

Not sure Palmer would ever want to run rallycross, if he did, it would not be on the original layout. He likes his grass too much, looks great on telly and in corporate stuff which is where his life is now sadly.

And there isn't much else you can use to make gravel areas or anything. Just better to let it be and concentrate on a different venue as it's never going to happen!!
Old 15 Oct 2016, 11:49 (Ref:3680202)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah it's a shame they let grass grow over the old Rallycross course, no doubt it's nice when a circuit has different types of circuits in it