Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 21 Mar 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3720408)   #1
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
WEC 2017 Round 1: Silverstone

The Met Office has published this long-range forecast:

UK Outlook for Tuesday 4 Apr 2017 to Tuesday 18 Apr 2017:
Early April looks likely to see high pressure remaining close to or over the UK for the most part. This will bring drier and somewhat warmer conditions than normal for the time of year. If this is the case it is likely that we will see a greater spread in temperatures from day to night, with the risk of overnight frosts continuing for some. However, there may be bouts of unsettled weather at times too, though these will probably be short-lived.

Updated: 03:01 on Tue 21 Mar 2017 GMT

Could it be true?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schedule

Entry List

Fantasy Racing

Track Map

TV Info

Radio Le Mans

Last edited by joeb; 13 Apr 2017 at 13:23.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 13:46 (Ref:3720409)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It will still be blowing a storm force gale, just like always at Silverstone.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3720412)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well tickets already purchased so will be there come rain or shine but as said wind is guaranteed
Old 21 Mar 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3720413)   #4
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And snow on Saturday morning!
Old 21 Mar 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3720424)   #5
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
The Met Office has published this long-range forecast:

UK Outlook for Tuesday 4 Apr 2017 to Tuesday 18 Apr 2017:
Early April looks likely to see high pressure remaining close to or over the UK for the most part. This will bring drier and somewhat warmer conditions than normal for the time of year. If this is the case it is likely that we will see a greater spread in temperatures from day to night, with the risk of overnight frosts continuing for some. However, there may be bouts of unsettled weather at times too, though these will probably be short-lived.

Updated: 03:01 on Tue 21 Mar 2017 GMT

Could it be true?
So basically all possible weather conditions. Sounds exactly right for Silverstone. Just bring all the clothing you own and something will be correct haha.

I'll be there Sat/Sun again this year.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3720432)   #6
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
It will still be blowing a storm force gale, just like always at Silverstone.

No, no, no!
A light, warm, gentle breeze, the merest zephyr........

It can't be any colder than last year. Can it?
Old 21 Mar 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3720435)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
As said expect all seasons over the three days, should be there soon after lunch on the Friday so plenty of time to see everything and everyone
Old 21 Mar 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3720456)   #8
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Why do they race Silverstone first knowing the weather in early April? Should it be moved to a different date? They ran a summer race there in 2012, that was better conditions so why not now?
Old 21 Mar 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3720463)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well in order for it to be fore Spa and Le mans it has to be in April, OK the weather might not be predictable but what the heck, not much else happens motor racing wise in Europe and it gives me something to look forward to after winter
Old 21 Mar 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3720469)   #10
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Why do they race Silverstone first knowing the weather in early April?
Well.....
Old 21 Mar 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3720474)   #11
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anything other than a repeat of Saturday last year and I'll be happy! Tho i seam to be a magnet for bad weather, every were i go the weather spoils the fun, anyhow I'll be there on the Friday. £10 on the gate, cant really complain at that.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3720482)   #12
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160416_092144302.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	49304
As long as there's no repeat of this or the downpour that ended the 2014(?) race early, I'll be happy.

Hotel booked & tickets long since delivered.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3720488)   #13
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be there either Friday or Saturday.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3720491)   #14
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well in order for it to be fore Spa and Le mans it has to be in April, OK the weather might not be predictable but what the heck, not much else happens motor racing wise in Europe and it gives me something to look forward to after winter
Are they asking for the first round of the year or what? I don't know what venue would like to switch to April instead of their allotted spot but I didn't get why they were a summer race in 2012 then switched to April.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3720576)   #15
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Are they asking for the first round of the year or what? I don't know what venue would like to switch to April instead of their allotted spot but I didn't get why they were a summer race in 2012 then switched to April.
I recall the race's predecessor at Brands Hatch in July in blazing hot weather in the Nineties. It also had a traditional date for many years in early/mid September and IIRC, mid-May was also a regular date at one time.

In those days, Spain (Jerez, near Gibraltar) used to be the early season race. It would be interesting to know if Silverstone requested the early date in order to generate some early-season revenue and to avoid a clash with F1....?

Common sense says don't put on a northern hemisphere race at such a northerly latitude so early in the season. The forecast for Mexico today is 27 degrees. Why not Mexico in April, Silverstone the first week in September?
Old 22 Mar 2017, 09:51 (Ref:3720596)   #16
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I recall the race's predecessor at Brands Hatch in July in blazing hot weather in the Nineties. It also had a traditional date for many years in early/mid September and IIRC, mid-May was also a regular date at one time.

In those days, Spain (Jerez, near Gibraltar) used to be the early season race. It would be interesting to know if Silverstone requested the early date in order to generate some early-season revenue and to avoid a clash with F1....?

Common sense says don't put on a northern hemisphere race at such a northerly latitude so early in the season. The forecast for Mexico today is 27 degrees. Why not Mexico in April, Silverstone the first week in September?
A cold and wet endurance racing fan is a happy endurance racing fan.

Personally I preferred the September data - generally hung together weather wise and spread out the European sportscar racing experience with Spa, Le Mans, and Silverstone giving you a good mix of things, but equally April gives a nice early start to things, and when there's a number of new cars to see, means there's a certain spring in step when heading off to Siverstone, combined with the chance to see some friendly faces again and kick the season off.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3720635)   #17
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
With the pre-season test 2 weeks prior in Monza (and before that at Paul Ricard), and Spa only 2-3 weeks later, the simple answer is logistics. Far cheaper to get the cars a small-ish distance across Europe than airfreight them to North America and back within 5 weeks.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3720642)   #18
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unfortunately you will have to get by without me this year as I will be far away, expected temperature 30 degC. i will be home well before the important race :-)

As far as better weather if Silverstone was later in the year goes, how many were there in August 2005? To guarantee warm non wet weather it might be better to transfer the race to somewhere else, except that i have been to silverstone for 1000km and 6 hour races for so long I could not find my way anywhere else.

Sean
Old 22 Mar 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3720673)   #19
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post
...To guarantee warm non wet weather it might be better to transfer the race to somewhere else...
Indeed. Plenty of chance of poor weather at any time of year at Silverstone. At least it has multiple grandstands to shelter from the rain.

Also, I quite like having our 'local' round of the WEC at the start of the season, having cars making their début adds a little something to the event.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3720674)   #20
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Why not Mexico in April, Silverstone the first week in September?
I guess with the entire WEC grid being (I believe) run out of European premises it's infinitely easier to kick things off in Europe. In terms of logistics, deadlines, freight, parts availability etc. There's a reason all the long-haul stuff is chained together post-LM.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 09:38 (Ref:3720849)   #21
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post

Also, I quite like having our 'local' round of the WEC at the start of the season, having cars making their début adds a little something to the event.
I agree with that. I appreciate the chance to see the new cars and how they measure up before the trip to La Sarthe.

In Group C days I could see them race at Silverstone, then Le Mans and then again at Brands. Still, that's history and we have a new year of racing to lok forward to now.

Sean
Old 25 Mar 2017, 21:31 (Ref:3721496)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

It can't be any colder than last year. Can it?

I was there all weekend last year (as usual) and aside from Saturday morning, I can't say that I found it all that cold. I've had colder nights (much colder!) at Le Mans in June.....

And I'll be there bright and early for the whole shooting match this year too. Any talk of a Tenths meeting yet?
Old 26 Mar 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3721582)   #23
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets for the race day are just to much. I still end up travelling 3hours and attending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 Mar 2017, 09:44 (Ref:3721591)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i am sure we will meet up friday or saturday but perhaps we can all arrange to be in the usual stand for the start as we have for the last few years
Old 26 Mar 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3721652)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, I'm sure we'll be there. My lad is coming on the Sunday as he can't make Le Mans now.