Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Jun 2017, 10:01 (Ref:3738513)   #1
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dubai 24 hours?

Hi all

I'm pondering a trip to Dubai early next year, and the 24 hours will be on in January so thinking about linking it together

Has anyone been or got any views? My first interest is photography, and whether its good for that, but also any thoughts on the overall spectator experience?

There doesn't seem to be too much info on the web....

Thanks
Old 5 Jun 2017, 09:53 (Ref:3738737)   #2
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went this year, for the first time. It was excellent - although I did go along as part of a photography masterclass run by Clifton Cameras and Nick Dungan. It was very eye opening in terms of learning about shot taking.

It was completely worth it - lots of trackside time and access all areas. Trackside, pits, media centre and so on.

The track itself is behind full on fencing. Then there's more fencing behind which most normal punters should stand. I say should as I'm sure some accessed some of the easier areas - but for the most people with tabards and badges had unfettered access and right of way as it were.

Utilising Nick's knowledge and experience helped to accelerate my understanding of the shots I was trying to take and also when they didn't quite go to plan he was able to give useful advice. So much so that I'm considering going out with them again! It's not just taking a photo it's also being aware of where the sun is in relation to the track action.

My shots are here : https://flic.kr/s/aHskMa6fHS and there are a few more if you look in other albums...

I think I took around 12,000 photos over the race 'weekend'.. Photo Mechanic came in to it's own!!

Clifton Cameras are here : https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Nic...-Series-Events a direct link to the events.

I really miss the access - beforehand I was 'happy' with the access afforded at Sliverstone.. I went to the TCR 24 hr race there and suddenly felt like I could do with a little more access!! grrr....!

They aren't cheap experiences but the insight and knowledge given is invaluable. You will definitely improve as a photographer. But of course each to their own.

In terms of going as a normal punter - you will be slightly limited in terms of pit access and certain areas of the track and you won't necessarily be considering where the sun is in relation to the cars on track. It is a great event in itself and it was hot! You might be able to tag along with a friendly team - ideally you need to get a tabard so that you can access more of the areas to get those crucial shots or access. There weren't massive crowds there...

Feel free to ask any more question you may have or PM me.