Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:43 (Ref:841993)   #1
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Zolt no money no ride ?

With the issue worsing for Zolt as unfortunate as it is

From F1-live

Are we going to see Zsolt
in Australia?

The manager of Zsolt Baumgartner, Tamas Frank, admitted that his driver might have some problems to keep his seat at Minardi.

Baumgartner's main sponsor, petroleum company Mol Rt., only gave their approval for a contract between the Hungarian driver and Jordan.

On the other hand, Tamas Frank is blaming Mol Rt. for changing their agreement on the date limit, just before making the first payment to Minardi.

Zsolt Baumgartner desperately needs the sponsorship money of his financial partners if he wants to keep his contract with Minardi. A Mol Rt. spokesperson mentioned that his company is committed to have Baumgartner in Formula One without specifying exactly how this might happen.

Could this be the fix (I hope so )

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12376.html

Last edited by Mark Webber; 18 Jan 2004 at 00:46.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:53 (Ref:842060)   #2
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be good for Ryan to get some extra miles in an F1 car this year & if it is by racing for Minardi than i'm all for it.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 05:57 (Ref:842082)   #3
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I think Ryan should be in F1 . If Toyota pick up the Bill it would be ironic considering all the fuss Minardi/Paul had with them a couple of years ago.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 06:31 (Ref:842085)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be better to get a free Toyota engine instead Then Stoddart can run Briscoe and Courtney in the same team
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Jan 2004, 06:41 (Ref:842089)   #5
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Now stop teasing GTR but imagine a Minardi with a toyota powerplant . not a bad idea . or still as a Toyota junior team ala Ferrai to Sauber they could rebade is DI@SU wouldn't that be funny

Oh well time to take my medication now
Old 18 Jan 2004, 07:19 (Ref:842101)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
That is a great idea GTR, that way the Aussie domination of F1 would be underway.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 10:10 (Ref:842197)   #7
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from f1 central.net:
But there would be good news to follow for the Hungarian as his countrymen rallied behind him and set up a financial drive to see Baumgartner on the 2004 grid.

In just one day donations totalled 45 million forints with monies coming from as far as the United States to support the driver.

Whether or not the last-ditch-effort saves Baumgartner’s drive remains to be seen but Minardi have given the youngster just one week to find the required sponsorship money.
way to go
Old 18 Jan 2004, 12:24 (Ref:842305)   #8
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id heard that his countrymen were in uproar at the fact that the govt were spending $4mil on him when the country's economy is dire.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 12:55 (Ref:842327)   #9
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
If Zolt does miss the boat I wonder if he will be picked up as a Fri test driver?
Old 18 Jan 2004, 18:14 (Ref:842522)   #10
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having a Customer Toyota engine is clearly not a retrigrade step but the big question is, if they were struggling to keep a Cosworth engine running how will they cope with a Toyata let or lone afford it, and i can't see James courtney's Managment letting him take the Minardi drive being 19th or 20th on the grid for every Grand Prix and being forgotten about. Dunno maybe im wrong tell me what you think
Old 18 Jan 2004, 19:15 (Ref:842571)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso, Webber and Wilson got noticed while running at the back in Minardis, and maybe Courtney / Bruni / Baumgartner / whoever can this year. Having an Australian running in an Australian team would have to be good publicity as well. I'd say you are wrong, to be honest.

Minardi have a well-drilled staff who are more than capable of running any quiment to the peak of its potential, the only problem they've had is that the equipment in question has usually been under-developed or outdated. Customer Toyotas won't propel them up the grid, but the engine is widely seen as the team's strongest link, so maybe they'd have a chance of beating Jordan on occasion, and a few realtively light runs could push Minardi past af ew other cars (they'd have to be careful not to beat Toyota too regularly though).
Old 18 Jan 2004, 20:25 (Ref:842641)   #12
nippy
Racer

Maybe but Wilson didn't get noticed for what he did in the Mino mainly because he was outqualified by Jos on so many occasions his move to Jag was because he beat Webber in F300 and Webber was setting the world alight with his pace so Jag thought ohh " He must be just as good if not better" and that was what went wrong.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 15:32 (Ref:869576)   #13
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bringing this thread back to life...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3476357.stm
Old 10 Feb 2004, 15:52 (Ref:869592)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote from his management:

They added Baumgartner would still meet his payment obligations to Minardi.

Seems like there's no problem for now.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 16:41 (Ref:869626)   #15
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was not able to speak with Zsolt on the subject yet, but I am more than confident that they found a sponsor who is willing to pay for the ride.

The deal with the government was an interest free loan and not a sponsorship. In five years they were obligated to pay it back. If they can get the money now from sponsors he is much better off. Anyway, he will race whether you guys like it or not.

Personally, I think he is a perfect paydriver, because he does not crash the car too often. He will not be the best driver, but is still better than for exaple Yoong or Marques. So I am happy for him.

Cheers
Old 10 Feb 2004, 17:19 (Ref:869647)   #16
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Attila
but is still better than ... Marques.
Tarso Marques won races, and in an F3000 field much stronger than today's!

Last edited by JohnMiller; 10 Feb 2004 at 17:19.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 17:28 (Ref:869650)   #17
nippy
Racer

When Tarso Marques he was tipped as a future world Champion by Martin Brundle.
" Tarso Marques a future champion no doubt about it" where as Zsolt Baumgartner was given
" I don't think that Kiesa and Baumgartner are the sort of people you would expect to be knocking on the door of formula 1"
Old 10 Feb 2004, 18:05 (Ref:869689)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did Martin make that comment before or after Tarso smashed into him in the 1996 Argentine Grand Prix?
Old 10 Feb 2004, 22:11 (Ref:869975)   #19
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
With only a few weeks until the season starts i think Stoddart has to finalise his driver line up & if Baumgartner can't come up with the money then find someone that can, time is quickly running out.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 22:15 (Ref:869981)   #20
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He isnt a bad driver, but he will never be more then a Mika Salo type driver. The sort that can get ****e cars into the points but will be driving around ****e all there f1 careers.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 22:17 (Ref:869983)   #21
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With only a few weeks until the season starts i think Stoddart has to finalise his driver line up & if Baumgartner can't come up with the money then find someone that can, time is quickly running out
Please don’t do it Jos, please tell Perridon not to want this, please...
Old 11 Feb 2004, 10:05 (Ref:870423)   #22
Attila
Racer

Baumgartner came up with the money. They payed the first $2million. Team Minardi will bring a twoseater to Budapest, Hungary next weekend and Zsolt will drive it arround on the streats of Philadephia ahhh I mean Budapest :-))).

Other than than Zsolt is not the fastest driver, we all know that; but, he is very consistent, has very good technical feedback, does not crash cars, is in excellent fitness condition and brings a lot of money. I do not see any reason why Minardi should not take him as a driver.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 10:50 (Ref:870464)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's no way Zsolt is among the top 20 drivers in F1 - in fact, if he loses the drive I don't think he'll be among the top 20 outside F1 - but realistically he is a good choice, for the reasons Attila outlines.

Does he now have guaranteed backing for the full season? I read at one stage that he only had it confirmed for the first 4 races?
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:44 (Ref:870519)   #24
Attila
Racer

His family is extremely wealthy. I am sure that if he cannot find enough sponsors they will pay for the ride.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 17:46 (Ref:870940)   #25
TALAMASCA
Rookie

TALAMASCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wealthy enough to pay for a formula one drive ?