Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Jan 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3498893)   #1
black merc
Rookie

United Kingdom
manchester
black merc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshal v8 supercars in NewZealand

I am off to New Zealand in November and I would like to Marshal at the V8 Supercars meeting.Any one know who to contact please
Old 29 Jan 2015, 23:57 (Ref:3498914)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chief Flaggies.

Contact Anna Scott. Even if you're not doing flags, she'll point you in the right direction.

Hope you have better luck than me, when I went to Pukekohe the meeting was flooded out! "The pits are waste deep in water, and it was a very tall marshal we sent in to check it..."
Old 30 Jan 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3498991)   #3
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We marshalled A1GP at Lake Taupo and were extremely well looked after by everyone, apart from being told off for showing a yellow when someone was on track collecting some debris but no cars in sight! Different rules, so be prepared for that!

We had booked into a hotel but shared lifts/meals with the friends we met and ended up also doing Pukekohe but not in the rain. It was an historic meeting and the Lyons family were also there.

I'm sure we found out about things from Mike Kelly and definitely from Woolley so that advice is to be well taken. Overalls were provided as we didn't take ours due to weight limits on luggage, even though we only went there because we had a free upgrade to Business Class - now that's the way to travel that far!!!!

But, if you do go, give yourself plenty of time and enjoy the country. My one regret is that we only went for 2 weeks.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 20:28 (Ref:3499244)   #4
black merc
Rookie

United Kingdom
manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Chief Flaggies.

Contact Anna Scott. Even if you're not doing flags, she'll point you in the right direction.

Hope you have better luck than me, when I went to Pukekohe the meeting was flooded out! "The pits are waste deep in water, and it was a very tall marshal we sent in to check it..."
I am planning to flag have you any contact details for Anna Scott?
Hopefully in November the weather will be better.thanx for your advice
Old 31 Jan 2015, 02:06 (Ref:3499337)   #5
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Steroids are kicking in, hence the timing of this!

The best advice we got from Woolley was about keeping your car full of petrol. We hired one for travelling. Never set off unless you have a full tank as it can be hard finding somewhere to fill it up. We thought we were OK but ended up "coasting" down hills at times! The relief when we found somewhere open was unbelievable, even though it was just on the outside of our next stop. I panic. Bill is always suave.

Enjoy NZ and definitely go. It is a wonderful country and I would go again if I could.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 09:49 (Ref:3499391)   #6
black merc
Rookie

United Kingdom
manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Steroids are kicking in, hence the timing of this!

The best advice we got from Woolley was about keeping your car full of petrol. We hired one for travelling. Never set off unless you have a full tank as it can be hard finding somewhere to fill it up. We thought we were OK but ended up "coasting" down hills at times! The relief when we found somewhere open was unbelievable, even though it was just on the outside of our next stop. I panic. Bill is always suave.

Enjoy NZ and definitely go. It is a wonderful country and I would go again if I could.
Flights are booked as my wife's sister lives there now.petrol should be ok as she lives half an hour from the circuit
Old 31 Jan 2015, 14:24 (Ref:3499459)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by black merc View Post
I am planning to flag have you any contact details for Anna Scott?
Hopefully in November the weather will be better.thanx for your advice
e-mail is on that link, that's how I got in touch.

November should be nice, a touch of spring. I've only been in summer since my birthday is February!

Ah, I'm jealous already. Love the place.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 18:42 (Ref:3499507)   #8
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The in-field during the V8SCs at Pukekohe can be a noisy place. Since the addition of the concrete barriers and the building of the commercial buildings north of the circuit (hardware and retail stores) the noise reverberates more than it did in the past.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...04/3538677.htm (V8SC noise level)
I have had Australians who live near the street circuits in Australia say they can hear the v8 engine noise in their heads two weeks after the meetings finish in Aus.
The Supercar round at Pukekohe is 6-8th November, 2015.

A preferable marshalling exercise may be at the Highlands circuit, Central Otago, NZ the following weekend for the Australian GTs. The date is tentative but when confirmed it might be an idea to book accommodation and hire car early.
http://australiangt.com.au/round-6-h...torsport-park/ (Nove 13-15 2015)

If the South Island is not on the itinerary then Hampton Downs is likely to have something on - even advanced driver training through the cones, skid pan etc can be an alternative to the v8s.
www.hamptondowns.com
Old 31 Jan 2015, 21:27 (Ref:3499541)   #9
black merc
Rookie

United Kingdom
manchester
Quote:
e-mail is on that link, that's how I got in touch.

November should be nice, a touch of spring. I've only been in summer since my birthday is February!

Ah, I'm jealous already. Love the place.
Thanx didn't click on the link.
e-mail sent
Old 1 Feb 2015, 18:45 (Ref:3499777)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOGH View Post
If the South Island is not on the itinerary then Hampton Downs is likely to have something on - even advanced driver training through the cones, skid pan etc can be an alternative to the v8s.
www.hamptondowns.com
The thing is, we get the V8 coverage up here so it's a good 'big' meeting to look at - familiarity with the cars for one. That's why I chose Surfers Paradise when I went to Aus, so I can understand why someone from travelling from here would look at that one in particular.

On the other hand, when I went, Puke would have been the Northern Sports Car Club (I think) so a proper clubbie. And there were some interesting looking cars turning away from the cyclone-hit circuit.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 23:48 (Ref:3501685)   #11
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The thing is, we get the V8 coverage up here so it's a good 'big' meeting to look at - familiarity with the cars for one. That's why I chose Surfers Paradise when I went to Aus, so I can understand why someone from travelling from here would look at that one in particular.

On the other hand, when I went, Puke would have been the Northern Sports Car Club (I think) so a proper clubbie. And there were some interesting looking cars turning away from the cyclone-hit circuit.
and of course, the woollen ones decision to choose Surfers had absolutely nothing to do with the Meter Maids they have there!

If in AUK, go see the Bruce McLaren Trust run by his sister...worth the effort to see his memorabilia (its in Remuera I think)...the Sky Tower is also a great tourist trap. If you do get down around Taupo then the Whaka is a good place to see Maori culture, concert etc

http://www.bruce-mclaren.com/

or if you are close to re-tyre-ment!

http://www.rymanhealthcare.co.nz/villages/bruce-mclaren

https://www.skycityauckland.co.nz/at...ons/sky-tower/

http://www.whakarewarewa.com/
Old 6 Feb 2015, 07:59 (Ref:3501832)   #12
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Thoughts only come along occasionally these days so I have to make the most of them when we do. We originally went to Bahrain to see the Aussie V8s (their first visit), thinking that meeting them half-way was the closest we'd get to "down under". They were really good and we met up with Jason Bright and his Dad while there so managed a good view of the inside of his car in the pits.

And a lovely marshal (sorry, can't remember his name) who we also met through here gave us a couple of Bahraini whistles. Still used to summon Bill when I need him to get me out of the shower (which is over the bath so I need help to climb over the side, yeah: too much information).

And ?James Lee? from Oulton who was working in Saudi but also marshalling there and drove us back to our hotel when we couldn't get a taxi as the mobile didn't work.

And it was thanks to that trip that we got the free upgrades and so finally made it to NZ! Great trip and thoroughly recommended.

Start saving, folks!
Old 6 Feb 2015, 08:26 (Ref:3501842)   #13
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post

And a lovely marshal (sorry, can't remember his name) who we also met through here gave us a couple of Bahraini whistles. Still used to summon Bill when I need him to get me out of the shower (which is over the bath so I need help to climb over the side, yeah: too much information).
Shelagh..you could always get something like this to assist...

http://www.arthritissolutions.com.au...col-B1250.html
Old 6 Feb 2015, 09:59 (Ref:3501867)   #14
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should try and make to NZ or Australia Shelagh.

I remember catching up with you in Bahrain and showing you Jason's car etc.

I hope your health is OK?
Old 6 Feb 2015, 12:43 (Ref:3501916)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
and of course, the woollen ones decision to choose Surfers had absolutely nothing to do with the Meter Maids they have there!
Didn't have a clue! The decision making went like this:

1) I'd like to see the Aussie V8s
2) We're going to see friends and family in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane
3) When are they near any of those so I can go.

4) Bathurst!!! Awkward for Mrs Woolley stuck in the middle of nowhere or a long drive for me each morning.
5) Surfers. OK, I know ChampCar and they know me, I know a local marshal (John Preston), I can get accommodation (thanks again, John) and MrsW can go on local excursions.

So I volunteered. The next points that came up were:

6) Due to the race, no local excursions so MrsW is still stuck, and dangerously near to a shopping centre.
7) At Surfers, the motor racing isn't necessarily the main event. I'm sure many spectators never even saw a car. Or at least, didn't remember seeing one.
8) Flip, wish I'd realised Phillip Island was near Melbourne. Geography failure. I'd rather have done that one.
Old 6 Feb 2015, 13:50 (Ref:3501939)   #16
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bit like mine for the Clipsal:

1. Mrs F's aunt & uncle live a 10 minute drive south of the park the circuit starts & finishes in
2. I met a bunch of the local marshals on a trip over there in 2010
3. They said I should do it. So I did
Old 6 Feb 2015, 19:37 (Ref:3502038)   #17
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Shelagh..you could always get something like this to assist...
I have a "slippy-slider thingy" (my very own technical term ). It is getting from that to the "stool-chair thingy" (another technical term) that is the problem.

We have now invested in batteries for the walkie-talkies, so I can call him on that when required rather than busting my eardrums with the whistle! Just got to make sure he has it with him and switched on

But thank you, and everyone, for great advice and help.

I did wonder about one of those mobility scooters but decided I'd have to have turbo power installed and, in any case, I'd just be a liability
Old 6 Feb 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3502080)   #18
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Without getting too, complicated, I thought you could sit on the board, slowly swivel one leg at a time then you could maybe shimmy into your "stool-chair thingy"...

Otherwise, revert to Plan B and take Lauren's advice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MheNUWyROv8
Old 7 Feb 2015, 06:15 (Ref:3502247)   #19
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Apologies - I think we've "hijacked" this thread! I respond to a post and it is only later on that I realise that it was maybe under the wrong topic.

Still - help on whatever subject, whether jetting off to NZ or getting in and out of the bath, is always gratefully received!
Old 24 Mar 2015, 01:21 (Ref:3518839)   #20
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had such an amazing time marshaling with the Motorsport Club in Auckland, I can't express it enough how friendly the people there are. Anna Scott/Debbie Day have been fantastic to me and I'll be forever grateful to them.

For the V8's be sure to apply early as people come out of the woodwork for that one event, and generally they may be oversubscribed. But as a visiting marshal I'm sure they'll go above and beyond welcoming you to the team.

Pukekohe is a nice track also, I enjoyed being there even though most of my volunteering happened at Hampton Downs.

Good luck!
Old 24 Mar 2015, 06:30 (Ref:3518866)   #21
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
When even getting down to the local shop on my own (with stroller/wheely thing) is a triumph, I am SO SO jealous of you all contemplating down under.

If you can go, then DO. I am so glad we did. I don't want any more regrets (I've had a few......). But I did it My Way!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 25 Mar 2015, 00:36 (Ref:3519198)   #22
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
PS. visit Pokeno on the way down to the track for their famous pies
Old 29 Mar 2015, 23:11 (Ref:3521657)   #23
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
The application to marshal ITM500 at Pukekohe with the Motorsport Club has just been released: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KSQR3J3
Old 9 Apr 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3525492)   #24
black merc
Rookie

United Kingdom
manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
The application to marshal ITM500 at Pukekohe with the Motorsport Club has just been released: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KSQR3J3
My Application has been sent thanks for all the advice