Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 14 Jun 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1003941)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Open letter to the BRSCC (Castle Combe FF1600)

After speaking to the BRSCC over last week, I felt a great deal happier about the way the Castle Combe FF1600 championship was being run by the BRSCC. However while I appriciate the F3/GT event this week is out of their hands to a degree, I felt the need to draft this letter as once again the FF1600 race is bottom of the list.

I would appriciate thoughts, am I being to harsh on the BRSCC ? or is this fair comment.

I will send them a letter, and I must thank the member of the BRSCC who took the time to personally contact me - that is a great attitude and it was appriciated. While I understand his hands are tied on this event, I do feel this needs to be said.

To BRSCC Southwest Chairman,

The purpose of this letter is to highlight my personal views on what I consider a genuine loss of focus to the BRSCC clubman, in particular the Castle Combe Formula Ford 1600 championship. This years efforts by the BRSCC to make the UK’s Formula Ford 1600 championships more available and effective, is northing short of excellent and the attempt to setup a national “King of Kents” championship is a real credit to the BRSCC. There are certainly things to improve on, but the BRSCC appears to be listening and taking note, which is an excellent attitude to take. Keeping this in mind I feel I must pass some comment to what I personally see as second class treatment of the regional Castle Combe Formula Ford championship. On two occasions this year the race has been cut short after five laps, while Marshal / Competitor safety is the most important thing, the reluctance to restart these races for what is in effect the shortest races on the Combe championship is becoming extremely expensive and annoying to both the regular and visiting drivers. After speaking with a senior member of the BRSCC, I was extremely happy to hear that this situation had been noted and being looked into.

On Friday I received my final instructions for the F3/GT race meeting at Castle Combe on the 20/21st June. I am appalled to find the treatment of the Castle Combe Formula Ford Championship. After being not involved in the meeting last year until the very last minute and the other Castle Combe championships having a main race day place. The Castle Combe Formula Ford championship was invited to take part when the Seat championship refused to turn up. The Formula ford race was seen as one of the best races on the day, and is regular crowd pleaser, because of the full grids and some exceptional drivers and close racing. Last year we where told that at the F3/GT meets one of the local championships would not be racing each year, taking it in turns. Last year the Formula Ford championship was not included (although as mentioned above invited at the last minute to fill the gap). This year I am disgusted to find that the Formula Ford race is racing on the Saturday when all other championships (including the Castle Combe Saloons and Special GTs) are qualifying. The day’s timings look like this for the Formula Fords.

Sign On 7:00 / 7:30
Qualifying 8:30 / 8:45
Race 16:30

So to race we have to turn up on the Friday and set up, be up before 7:00 qualify and then hang around all day (although there are some good cars qualifying) race second to last event of the day and THEN pack up and get out of the paddock as there is not enough room for us to stay there on Sunday. So pretty much the whole of Saturday is taken up with watching the F3/GT’s have free practice.

Keeping this poor planning of the time table, and the reluctance to start races, the fact that we where off the race last year until last minute does this sound like the Castle Combe championship is getting a fair run ? More so after you consider that the Special GT championship runs with approximately on average a 12 car grid?

So one of the fullest grids in the country with some of the best racing is treated log dirt on the BRSCC’s shoes (even though it stepped in to cover gaps last year and provided one of the best races of the season), the Formula Fords are the first to get up, and the last to race, and then kicked out of the paddock after sitting around all day??

I ask what justification do you have for a.) The poor impression the Formula Ford drivers have of the way they are being treated of late, and b.) The second year in succession (despite being told that the race day calendar would be rotated yearly) the Formula fords are not on the race day calendar.

I invite a response.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 21:21 (Ref:1004051)   #2
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darcym you do the longest threads...thats why we race fords cos we must like to get shafted by every one.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1004065)   #3
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NW FF1600 can only dream of getting any sort of guest slot on TOCA, F3/GT etc. This year we couldn't even get on every club meeting.

And now the good [or bad, depending on your viewpoint] news.

Diz has not Dizappeared. He has lifted up his bottom lip and is back with you all.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 21:42 (Ref:1004070)   #4
darcym
Veteran

does the NW FF1600 not get on the calendar when the F3 boys come up North
Old 14 Jun 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1004071)   #5
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are to high profile for them.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1004081)   #6
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym
does the NW FF1600 not get on the calendar when the F3 boys come up North
That's what I said.
I believe that there is a hefty fee involved in getting on the 'profile' packages.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1004090)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And as Matt points out - if that's the way you get treated, would you want to?
Old 14 Jun 2004, 22:09 (Ref:1004103)   #8
darcym
Veteran

the treatment is bad, I'm further annoyed futher at the BRSCC simpley sticking the boot in again for the second year in a row ? it would appear they want to punish the regular FF1600 championship, yet at the same time they bend over backwards to push the 12 car Special GT championship. How the BRSCC can expect to be taken seriously and get support when they make promises/statments, then change them with no notification, I've entered for the race and they still havn't fixed a price ??? I had to enter with the price TBA they could just charge £500 at the last minute.

If I had know the deal and how badly a kick in the teeth FF1600 would have got again this year, I'd have not entered. Seems like a Saturday of hanging around watching the BRSCC fall of the th F3 boys then kick us out of the paddock.

I simpley don't understand it.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 22:24 (Ref:1004115)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe this was the weekend you should have come to Mallory, Matt.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1004127)   #10
darcym
Veteran

If I'd have known the situation I %100 would have
Old 15 Jun 2004, 07:52 (Ref:1004346)   #11
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not too late is it? Get Steve Burns to switch your entry without a late fee / penalty etc.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:01 (Ref:1004355)   #12
darcym
Veteran

already arranged people up at combe and not fair on team mate at this late stage
Old 17 Jun 2004, 13:55 (Ref:1006952)   #13
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
get a transporter or three and ship everybody up to Mallory

no real consolation I know but you will get a GT race to watch on the Saturday
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1006958)   #14
BarryCrocker
Rookie

BarryCrocker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now you guys know what the F3 guys feel like at donington LG super racing weekend
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1007022)   #15
darcym
Veteran

But we are not proffesional racers with 300K budgets, we are clubbies out to enjoy our sport, the chance to race on a big day like this is great, but to have a day wasted and be the only race on a qualifying day is just terrible, especially when we where promised so much more last year, and after we saved the day last year too.

Its just plain ignorance by orginisers.

I don't understand why the Combe Special GT's with 12 cars - of which 9 normally get lapped gets the premier place on the weekend when the FF1600's that provide guranteed racing and full grids and is a big crowd pleaser gets to waste a whole day watching F3 qualify and then gets kicked out the paddock.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:58 (Ref:1007031)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Be fair Matt: there is a British GT race on after you. And the Special GTs to qualify at 9am and race after 5pm so they're no better off than you. Quite a few people will have gone home before they get on, which I suspect will not be the case for your race.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 19:00 (Ref:1007272)   #17
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the answer is fairly simple Matt, look at the support races for Sunday and you will find National Formula Ford Zetecs on the bill. Now if you were Ford, who are a little bit involved in promoting Zetecs(!!! no, seriously!!) then they sure as hell would not want their premier single seater championship put in the shadows by a circuit championship in cars with in their eyes obsolete motors. Imagine the confusion with the spectators...Last year was not a problem as Zetecs were on the TOCA tour, but the year before we had the same problem as you....
Old 18 Jun 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1007850)   #18
darcym
Veteran

Very fair comment, shame Combe didn't think about this a bit more. They got some terrible local press on this matter in Bristol/Bath/Swindon.

In response to Ian, yes I am being harsh on this because a.) its a rough deal.
b.) We where told last year this would not be the case, so once again its is the BRSCC just shafting us and going back on their word. The race on after us in the program is the Gianettas ? I didn't realise it was a British GT race, but to be fair they have just as much right to complain.

Verglas has it more intune probably with the national zetecs but really..... is it going to effect ford, probably not. I do see the bigger picture on this though now which I handn't before.

Still gutting - still fuels further anger to the BRSCC for bad treatment and bascially.....lies.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 12:53 (Ref:1007854)   #19
Ian Sowman
Veteran

British GT always have two races per meeting now Matt - one on Saturday evening and the one just after lunch on Sunday.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1007866)   #20
darcym
Veteran

I must have an early version of the program though (I make sure I get my entries in 6 months in advance now !!) as it didn't mention the GT's - sorry didn't know they where on, on the Saturday.

It is a tough deal, and I know I am harsh on the special GT's and its not their fault but because of the recent treatment of the FF1600 racing it does feel like another kick in the teeth. I completly agree that I am being harsh.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1007874)   #21
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt I hope you get more than 5 laps on Sat as the CofC maybe be in for an ear full from you!!!
Old 18 Jun 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1008047)   #22
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wave to your fan club at Quarry, but preferably on the green flag or slowing down lap ! Best of luck on Saturday.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 16:32 (Ref:1008066)   #23
darcym
Veteran

Fan Club ???? are you female