Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Oct 2011, 06:33 (Ref:2969686)   #126
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
at any point, the race is way too long, who has time to spend 10 hours in front of the tv watching a race

lets cull it and turn it into a 2 hour race on friday saturday and sunday
Why not?

All the drivers and commentators tell us these days is that only the last 30 laps matter due to safety cars.....

Instead of wasting a whole Sunday, just run a25 lap race (one fuel load) and be done with it...
Old 12 Oct 2011, 07:22 (Ref:2969707)   #127
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Why not?

All the drivers and commentators tell us these days is that only the last 30 laps matter due to safety cars.....

Instead of wasting a whole Sunday, just run a25 lap race (one fuel load) and be done with it...
It seems to work at Clipsal
Old 12 Oct 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2969725)   #128
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Just so we know

I'm hoping someone can point to the last time we had a supposed entertainment SC with 20ish or so laps from the end?

It would be much appreciated please
Really hoping someone can point this out for me?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 11:19 (Ref:2969839)   #129
another insider
Rookie

another insider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
Just so we know

I'm hoping someone can point to the last time we had a supposed entertainment SC with 20ish or so laps from the end?

It would be much appreciated please

Quote:
Come on Peckstar ,you don't expect the knockers to back up their inuendo with some facts!
Old 12 Oct 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2969847)   #130
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by another insider View Post
Come on Peckstar ,you don't expect the knockers to back up their inuendo with some facts!
Well it certainly got quiet in here
Old 12 Oct 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2969886)   #131
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Didn't we get it on Sunday?

Whincup was stopped out of the Cutting, off the racing line for about 20secs and they call the safety car.... 5secs later he drives off...

They kept cars parked on the side of the track & in sand traps for many laps during the support races, yet they can't give Whincup 1 minute to sort his stuff out?

What about Bargwanna last year? He was what, 20m from a gap in the fence? (though he's partly to blame for not parking it there in the first place...)
Old 12 Oct 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2970112)   #132
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I would find that extremely doubtful

The field was reasonably packed together at the time by earlier SC and we we were in the middle of pit stops, We were in for an entertaining finish anyway

But you raise an interesting point, once upon a time cars would make an attempt to stop in a safe place, now they stop where they will bring out a Safety car, whats with that
Old 12 Oct 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2970119)   #133
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Some good comedians in here.
Are you suggesting Whincup stopped on purpose?!
Or that some teams work with organisers to rig races?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2970136)   #134
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In my experience drivers stop where they stop and always have done. Just a few look for a sensible place to stop. Unless they're on fire, in which case they tend to look for a marshal.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2970178)   #135
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
To be fair Bludvl, that incident wasn't a cynical safety car designed to manipulate some close racing as you were infering, correctly IMO. Did he manage to get out unaided? The Youtube clip didn't show the end of the incident.

The start and the last 15 laps were about all I saw yesterday. I must say how I was so impressed with Lowndes, not only for the drive but the sporting, mature way he accepted that he had no way past Tander without punting him and settled for second. How many other drivers would have made the last gasp dive to take glory at all cost? Many I'd say.

Well done Lowndesy, sportsmanship is not dead.
Agreed, he's a class act and entertaining. But don't overlook the fact that he was about to take over the Championship lead; why risk a good haul of points.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2970181)   #136
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
To be fair Bludvl, that incident wasn't a cynical safety car designed to manipulate some close racing as you were infering, correctly IMO. Did he manage to get out unaided? The Youtube clip didn't show the end of the incident.

The start and the last 15 laps were about all I saw yesterday. I must say how I was so impressed with Lowndes, not only for the drive but the sporting, mature way he accepted that he had no way past Tander without punting him and settled for second. How many other drivers would have made the last gasp dive to take glory at all cost? Many I'd say.

Well done Lowndesy, sportsmanship is not dead.
Agreed, he's a class act and entertaining. But don't overlook the fact that he was about to take over the Championship lead; why risk a good haul of points.
He did the smart thing!
Old 12 Oct 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2970185)   #137
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whincup stopped because he didn't have enough juice for the fuel pump by the look of the vision!
Old 13 Oct 2011, 06:22 (Ref:2970254)   #138
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Some good comedians in here.
Are you suggesting Whincup stopped on purpose?!
Or that some teams work with organisers to rig races?
cough Nelson Piquet, Jr. cough
Old 13 Oct 2011, 06:26 (Ref:2970255)   #139
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Lol yes well...
Whincup however is not a desperate driver trying to please his team to keep his drive. Rather he is (or was at the time) leading the championship
Old 13 Oct 2011, 06:56 (Ref:2970266)   #140
one five five
Veteran

I'm certainly not suggesting Whincup parked it on purpose (though why didn't he stop in the gap in the fence out of the Cutting, he's smart enough to know the car wouldn't make it all the way to Skyline to enable him to roll home...)

But Whincup's car was only sitting there for what, 15secs before the safety car was called, and then just after the SC is called, Whincup drives off again, rendering the SC pointless (and through Whincup struggling round holding #5, #888 etc up), it gave Murphy & Bright a major leg up.

Cars were left in the sand trap and the side of the track for many laps during a few of the support races, but Whincup wasn't given any time to sort himself out before they called the safety car....
Old 13 Oct 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2970267)   #141
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Lol yes well...
Whincup however is not a desperate driver trying to please his team to keep his drive. Rather he is (or was at the time) leading the championship
and at the time he was either leading the race or a few secs behind

he did however after driving slowly up pit straight (not lane) continue to lap slowly until the car stopped in the middle of the track (although off the racing line), and not on the edge of the track

after getting the car started again he proceeded to drive along at a slow speed, causing his team mate and others to lose valuable time on the leader and thus, one would easily argue, he cost his team mate the race

all this in the name of entertainment apparantly personally i would suggest a self absorbed **** who cost his team mate a repeat of bathurst wins
Old 13 Oct 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2970270)   #142
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
I believe the first sign of the car slowing was on pit straight.

But yeah, that seems feasible
Old 13 Oct 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2970320)   #143
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and at the time he was either leading the race or a few secs behind

he did however after driving slowly up pit straight (not lane) continue to lap slowly until the car stopped in the middle of the track (although off the racing line), and not on the edge of the track

after getting the car started again he proceeded to drive along at a slow speed, causing his team mate and others to lose valuable time on the leader and thus, one would easily argue, he cost his team mate the race

all this in the name of entertainment apparantly personally i would suggest a self absorbed **** who cost his team mate a repeat of bathurst wins
White flags should be waved for slow cars on the track, that is the correct protocol.

These blokes know that if your park your car in a 'unsafe' place the safety car will be called and some drivers use this to their advantage to get the car back to the pits, Bowe was reknowed for it. A responsible driver will look for a safe place, but because these blokes are playing for sheep stations, they will use the rules to their end.

Because of his selfishness he also cost Ford a podium as they weren't game to pass him when he was driving slow because passing under yellows is against the rules.

What he did was unacceptable in my opinion and I am surprised more people aren't complaining about it.

They would have been told to pass him by Tim Schenken who was too slow to react, he has comms to all the cars

Last edited by Trevor; 13 Oct 2011 at 08:34.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2970326)   #144
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
see big trev, we have more in common than you think
Old 13 Oct 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2970339)   #145
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
They would have been told to pass him by Tim Schenken who was too slow to react, he has comms to all the cars
Well apart from the fact that the car stopped without enough charge to run its electronic devices... Including the radio.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 09:14 (Ref:2970352)   #146
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
see big trev, we have more in common than you think
I am not the ogre you think I am peckstar -
Old 13 Oct 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2970354)   #147
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Well apart from the fact that the car stopped without enough charge to run its electronic devices... Including the radio.
It is amazing how he made his way though, quite remarkable, I would suggest he was being guided through the process by his team, I am not that sure he is smart enough to work it out on his own.