Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Sep 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2955280)   #26
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
How about the cost of upgrading from a AU/VT? This isn't big budget racing, the cars and money has to come from somewhere.
Not everyone has to upgrade, the earlier models would still be eligible.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2955318)   #27
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Not everyone has to upgrade, the earlier models would still be eligible.
Well, yes that is true...but how would you feel if you had lots of money invested in a car that was at the front of the field, then a new (presumably faster) car was introduced but you can't afford to upgrade. You go from a front runner, to middle of the pack in a 'trophy class.' Do you think that you will feel like continuing in the category, given that you are a competitive person? When the AU/VT's were brought in there was a similar problem, and when they were introduced there was a large drop off in entries, even though the EA/VN's were still eligible, and to this day entry levels aren't as high.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the focus of the category. Is it on the sponsor, or the spectator, or the driver, or somewhere else completely different?
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:31 (Ref:2955330)   #28
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Well, yes that is true...but how would you feel if you had lots of money invested in a car that was at the front of the field, then a new (presumably faster) car was introduced but you can't afford to upgrade. You go from a front runner, to middle of the pack in a 'trophy class.' Do you think that you will feel like continuing in the category, given that you are a competitive person? When the AU/VT's were brought in there was a similar problem, and when they were introduced there was a large drop off in entries, even though the EA/VN's were still eligible, and to this day entry levels aren't as high.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the focus of the category. Is it on the sponsor, or the spectator, or the driver, or somewhere else completely different?
It is a parity category right?........if your philosophy was adopted they would still be racing FC holdens and Ford Zephyrs........have to upgrade sometime.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2955336)   #29
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have already moved from EA/VN to AU/VT. There has to be a return on investment. Why spend money building a car that's only going to race for a couple of years? Why should they have to build a new car all the time?
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:48 (Ref:2955344)   #30
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a spectator I don't care if they are racing EA/VN or AU/VT as long as the racing is good. I can't see a need to upgrade.

Eg: Commodore Cup is VS based with old 253 V8's.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2955346)   #31
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
It is a parity category right?........if your philosophy was adopted they would still be racing FC holdens and Ford Zephyrs........have to upgrade sometime.
I do agree that upgrading should happen every now and then, as parts supplies and availability dictates, but there needs to be a while where the status quo remains. VT's and AU's are just becoming sorted and reliable as race cars; it is too much to ask of people to scrap that work and move to the later models.

Why do you see a need to upgrade? I'm not being critical, just curious.

Exciting racing can come from old cars, look at the 40 year old HQ's for proof of that.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2955357)   #32
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I do agree that upgrading should happen every now and then, as parts supplies and availability dictates, but there needs to be a while where the status quo remains. VT's and AU's are just becoming sorted and reliable as race cars; it is too much to ask of people to scrap that work and move to the later models.

Why do you see a need to upgrade? I'm not being critical, just curious.

Exciting racing can come from old cars, look at the 40 year old HQ's for proof of that.
Not so much the VT, but the AU really looks outdated on the track and I think the BA would be more stable........just personal opinion.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 07:40 (Ref:2955758)   #33
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OOOO OOOO Mr Cot-ter Mr Cot-ter !

Eh hem, I have a question (or two)...

Forget the whole buying a car & stuff bit, Id really like to know how many races can you run mid pack in a Saloon car, with a ten grand budget ?

What is an average weekend cost, entry, tyres, fuel, brakes, food & grog for your mates who help out etc ?

Just curious, Kelli, Beck, anyone ?
Old 15 Sep 2011, 07:55 (Ref:2955764)   #34
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
OOOO OOOO Mr Cot-ter Mr Cot-ter !

Eh hem, I have a question (or two)...

Forget the whole buying a car & stuff bit, Id really like to know how many races can you run mid pack in a Saloon car, with a ten grand budget ?

What is an average weekend cost, entry, tyres, fuel, brakes, food & grog for your mates who help out etc ?

Just curious, Kelli, Beck, anyone ?
National or state level?
Old 15 Sep 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2956090)   #35
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
Quote:
National or state level?
Oh State will be fine!

I'm trying to do a cost-loss-analysis on a nasty rumour I heard on the weekend.

Not cost-benefit, cost loss
Old 19 Sep 2011, 04:49 (Ref:2957853)   #36
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
I'd just like to thank everyone out there for your assistance. My guess is 5 grand a meeting.....

Seems that the 10 K "fine" levied on a state level Saloon Car racer at the Shannons round at Sandown was for "overdriving" during the Friday Media Rides.

It also appears that a very zealous A C of C was the Prosecutor, Jury and sentencing Judge all in one !

When in doubt, charge summarily, and by-pass the stewards totally

And people wonder why CAMS now stands for conspiracy against motor sport
Old 19 Sep 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2957880)   #37
Number25
Rookie

Number25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Rachel. A rough estimate to run a in the state series I have worked out at roughly $2500-3000 a round. But can be done much cheaper or much more expensive obviously. But thats what I run at roughly.

I was beginning to wonder if that rumor of that competitors incident was true or not. Seems it is! Sounds like a stupid move by the competitor, however, WAY over the top by CAMS in response! Doubt he'll be doing that again soon!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 13:33 (Ref:2958043)   #38
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number25 View Post
Sounds like a stupid move by the competitor, however, WAY over the top by CAMS in response! Doubt he'll be doing that again soon!
So what as the crime committed?
Old 19 Sep 2011, 23:31 (Ref:2958282)   #39
Number25
Rookie

Number25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the competitor in question stopped on track during the sponsor/ media ride session and performed a burnout. Can anyone confirm???
Old 28 Sep 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2962112)   #40
stigette
Rookie

stigette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rachel, you can run a full State season (6 rounds) for as little as $6k.
Most would spend around $12k though.

State level entry fees are between $250-350 a round.
Garages & Friday prac are extra but not always necessary.
Fuel for a weekend would be around $300 (depends on duration of races, and a lot more expensive if you are running E85).

Then add on tyres, brakes, accom, food, transport costs....

You can do it for as little as $1000 a round, stretch out the life of things like tyres and brakes, but it's hard work. Obviously it all depends how hard you race and how big your budget is!

...I know of an EA driver who is still using the same tyres they purchased brand new at the start of the 2010 season...

And yes, said State level competitor at Sandown did cop a $10k fine.
Pretty rough considering his car is only worth $6k...

From what I know of the situation, it was raining and he grabbed some kerbs, and the car got a little sideways (but nothing that a very experienced racer/speedway veteran couldnt gather back up again IMO). He also did six laps rather than the prescribed three, but he says he had never done meeting rides before and wasn't aware of the protocols.

Sadly the stewards slapped him with the same giant fine usually reserved for blokes in Porsches with fat wallets...bit harsh considering it was a first offense. $10k with $8k suspended might have been a bit fairer?

Anyhow, I understand it has been appealed. If unsuccessful the stewards will have wiped out this competitor for good.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 04:26 (Ref:2976887)   #41
XR8Chic
Rookie

Australia
Vic
XR8Chic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The driver in question had an appeal regarding the fine.

It was changed to $10k fine, $8.5k suspended.

$1.5k is still pretty steep considering it was a first offense.

Rachel - To give you an idea on budget, I raced at a state series on the weekend. I had to fork out 100% of the cost (my sponsors only cover national rounds), so I did it on the cheap.

Entry was $350 ish
Garage was another $300
Fuel $140
Accom - $250 (caravan park)
Transport - $180
Food - $100 (myself and crew)

I used old crappy tyres, and did not do friday practice.
I did have a $1000 bill for car prep, but that's not for every round.

Costs really vary though. Eg, when I went to queensland, it cost just over $6k, and we did that on a budget, and camped at the track. That did not include the repairs to the car afterwards (got punted)
KS Motorsports - Saloon Car #70
"I wanna go fast"
Old 26 Oct 2011, 04:37 (Ref:2976888)   #42
XR8Chic
Rookie

Australia
Vic
XR8Chic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Video of Andy O'Connell (#37 AU Falcon Saloon), coming off, at turn 1 at Phillip Island last weekend.

The orange car he is battling with, is the AU of Geoff Brown, however, it was being driven by Tony Evangelou.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28UQWEdGJsQ
KS Motorsports - Saloon Car #70
"I wanna go fast"