Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Sep 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2959026)   #51
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Wasnt the original Ivan Stibbard/ARDC mandated start time of the Great Race actually 10.00 am. On the dot?
It was a 9.30am in the mid-70s, the 1978 race was delayed half an hour by fog so started at 10am, in 1979 they decided to keep the start time at 10.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2959029)   #52
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Wasnt the original Ivan Stibbard/ARDC mandated start time of the Great Race actually 10.00 am. On the dot?
Same as Racer69 says. I thought it went from 9:00am to 10:00am because of the fog. But I could be wrong.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 01:01 (Ref:2959355)   #53
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A 10am start is better for fans living in the west.
Old 7 Oct 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2967099)   #54
hey charger
Rookie

hey charger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I saw Trev Campbell quoted in The Age (Melbourne) with your comments on this forum. "Writer" was wondering same thing, has bathurst "lost something"?

10 tenths - a strange way to get famous

Hey Charger
Old 8 Oct 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2967460)   #55
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Bathurst has lost THAT something, the officals/V8 Aus are very slowly killing our great race to death, it will take time but it is heading a downward hill.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 8 Oct 2011, 08:52 (Ref:2967480)   #56
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the 1st time in over 35 years I will not be watching the V8 taxies,it just plain booring.Prefer to go for a drive up in the hills with my friends.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2967489)   #57
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
For the 1st time in over 35 years I will not be watching the V8 taxies,it just plain booring.Prefer to go for a drive up in the hills with my friends.
I stopped watching last year.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2967495)   #58
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Bathurst 12 hour to take over :P ahh i can only wish!
Old 8 Oct 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2967497)   #59
SilverSpeed
Racer

Australia
Australia
SilverSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't like it don't watch it, simple. But it most certainly isn't what it used to be. It's just another race in the championship now. Making it NC & scrapping the co-driver rule would be a small start to trying to restore the event to what it used to be.

We haven't had a good race for a few years, surely we're due for one?
Old 8 Oct 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2967539)   #60
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
Don't like it don't watch it, simple. But it most certainly isn't what it used to be. It's just another race in the championship now. Making it NC & scrapping the co-driver rule would be a small start to trying to restore the event to what it used to be.

We haven't had a good race for a few years, surely we're due for one?
And may I ask you what would change if you did that?? You can't say that you would get more entries as there were plenty of wildcard slots left if someone wanted to enter. And that is the main thing missing from the great race, a few more cars on the track The co drivers thing is also a moot point in the grand scheme of things..
Old 8 Oct 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2967551)   #61
SilverSpeed
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
And may I ask you what would change if you did that?? You can't say that you would get more entries as there were plenty of wildcard slots left if someone wanted to enter. And that is the main thing missing from the great race, a few more cars on the track The co drivers thing is also a moot point in the grand scheme of things..

I mean the co driver rule introduced last year which prevents guys 2 regulars pairing up!

Now everyone does the same thing, get the co-driver stint out of the way first and then get the regulars in. A lot of the race is just co-drivers being really cautious and keeping the car off the wall. If regulars could pair up, it wouldn't matter who's driving, it'd be 100% speed all the way.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2967583)   #62
St00ge
Veteran

Quote:
I mean the co driver rule introduced last year which prevents guys 2 regulars pairing up!

Now everyone does the same thing, get the co-driver stint out of the way first and then get the regulars in. A lot of the race is just co-drivers being really cautious and keeping the car off the wall. If regulars could pair up, it wouldn't matter who's driving, it'd be 100% speed all the way.

A few of the co-drivers on the list could probably hold a regular gig in the main game atm; so I don't really see a problem with the regulars having to stay in their own car personally.. I also think it is silly to exclude the drivers who are in the GC600 from Bathurst..

I will also reserve judgement on how "easy" the co-drivers take it during their stints till after the race
Old 9 Oct 2011, 01:16 (Ref:2967792)   #63
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I also think it is silly to exclude the drivers who are in the GC600 from Bathurst..
This is the worry. This event at Bathurst is no longer looked on as a priority for V8SA. Things like GC600 and street races in Sydney, Abu Dhabi hold bigger important for the brains trust at V8 World () headquarters.

As someone put earlier, this event is now just another round of the v8 championship.....to the detriment of most parties (excluding V8SA)
Old 9 Oct 2011, 01:26 (Ref:2967796)   #64
St00ge
Veteran

I think you guys are putting to much emphasis on Bathurst being a championship round being a bad thing..

why does it make that much of a difference?? don't think I have seen anyone in recent years just playing it safe for the sake of the championship..
Old 9 Oct 2011, 02:58 (Ref:2967822)   #65
SilverSpeed
Racer

Australia
Australia
Plus the most annoying this about splitting the main drivers is that the big teams have 2 cars near the front. Which for a race with a lot of SC's....makes it impossible for 1 of the cars to get any track position (ala Courtney and Lowndes atm, make good progress then SC comes and have to do it all over again)
Old 9 Oct 2011, 06:22 (Ref:2967911)   #66
St00ge
Veteran

you biggest grip is that there are more cars in contention....Did I just read that correctly??
Old 9 Oct 2011, 06:42 (Ref:2967918)   #67
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
A pity Rob, as you missed a great motor race.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 06:59 (Ref:2967925)   #68
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All you guys crowing on about the old days are a bunch of wallies, today's race was an absolute ball tearer.

Yes I miss the privateers and so on, but the race is so much more competitive now and many more people can win. I'm a huge fan of the co-driver change, I think its brilliant.

I reckon Nick Percat might be a fan too!
Old 9 Oct 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2967926)   #69
SilverSpeed
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
you biggest grip is that there are more cars in contention....Did I just read that correctly??
Less cars, you mean.....

Under the old system BJR, SBR, FPR, HRT, 888, KR, GRM, DJR and 888 could win it on merit. However it is just 3 cars these days with a sort of chance with doing it on merit (#88, #888 and #2)
Old 9 Oct 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2967928)   #70
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Under the old system SBR, FPR, HRT, 888, KR, GRM, DJR and 888 could win it on merit. However it is just 3 cars these days with a sort of chance with doing it on merit (#88, #888 and #2)
Are you kidding?

SBR haven't looking like winning a Bathurst once since they won it in the EL. Their cars are and have always been too hard on front tyres to be quick at the end.

Kelly are a bit the same but it seems the problem is with rear tyres.

FPR can't seem to stop tripping over their own feet, so they have the pace but nothing else.

GRM were fast last year but both their co-drivers put them out of the race this year.

DJR had no pace at any stage this year, co-driver rule had nothing to do with it.

The driver market is a level playing field. Anybody can contract up a good driver, the problem becomes finding the right guy.

I didn't see anybody else trying to sign up Steve Owen last year, or Andrew Thompson this year. Maybe Triple 8 are just better talent scouts than other teams...
Old 9 Oct 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2967931)   #71
SilverSpeed
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Are you kidding?

SBR haven't looking like winning a Bathurst once since they won it in the EL. Their cars are and have always been too hard on front tyres to be quick at the end.

Kelly are a bit the same but it seems the problem is with rear tyres.

FPR can't seem to stop tripping over their own feet, so they have the pace but nothing else.

GRM were fast last year but both their co-drivers put them out of the race this year.

DJR had no pace at any stage this year, co-driver rule had nothing to do with it.

The driver market is a level playing field. Anybody can contract up a good driver, the problem becomes finding the right guy.

I didn't see anybody else trying to sign up Steve Owen last year, or Andrew Thompson this year. Maybe Triple 8 are just better talent scouts than other teams...

What I'm saying is if they (SBR, DJR, etc) put a brilliant weekend together and 888 have a shocker....they all could do it
Old 9 Oct 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2967945)   #72
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
A **** race........another commodore fest.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 08:01 (Ref:2967946)   #73
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Come on, the last 5 laps were good but the former 156 laps weren't much chop.

The constant safety car gave the race no flow and aided the close finish in the end.

A close finish don't make a great race, it makes a great finish.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2967949)   #74
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give the "Great Race" weekend back to the production cars where it belongs the "Super Cars" can have 5 or so joined up sprint race a couple of weeks before or after.

Make the production car race a 8 hour race and the "Super Car race a 5 x 200 km race.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2967960)   #75
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No he didn't, he missed an oh so typical round of Bathurst, maybe the only thing missing was the 'predictable' safety car 20 laps from the end, it appeared all safety car calls today were actually warranted. SHOCK