Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2972617)   #26
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was the rule originally brought in to kinda keep the international field "level" with their V8sc experience or something?? I think after a couple of years now we can drop it...
Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2972637)   #27
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
I would like to see the international drivers allowed to drive at Sandown and Bathurst next year as well as the GC 600, but move the GC 600 to before the two main enduros.
I would imagine most of the internationals will be busy with their primary employment, though, the GC race happening late in the year means they're normal commitments have generally finished.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2973028)   #28
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My two cents worth - I dont like the category telling teams which drivers to put in the teams own cars at any time. The teams pay the bills when the inevitable crash happens, the teams mechanics are the ones who stay up to all hours doing the repairs, and its the teams sponsors who fork out the hard earned. And it can be the championship competing driver who loses the possibility of winning the overall crown when he isn't even in the car.

So if the category forces the teams to put in drivers of the categories choice, I think that:
  • The category should supply funds and mechanics (like the tafe repair crew of old) to repair crashes done by the nominated co driver in the likely event they crash the thing;
  • Any of these rounds do not count towards the championship

If it is a round of the championship, the teams should be able to do what they like with their (highly) paid employees.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 00:45 (Ref:2973046)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr R.Kelly was on V8Nation last week bleating about the cost of hiring 4 enduro copilots for the 2 races.

But I dont think he understood the intent of the activity in the first place.

A driver and a car own a number that they compete under. So Mr Lowndes is in #888, Mr Johnson is in #17, Mr Winterbottom is in #5, Mr Ingall is in #39. They are promoted that way all year, the teams are talking up stuff like the Enforcer in #39.

So how difficult is it for the average punter to understand that the #5 car is now painted in the really cool Falcon Cobra colours, but no, Frosty isnt driving it, there are the 2 enduro ringins aboard, and thats why the car is so slow.

Some teams have been challenged by separating their gun drivers for as long as they have been running. SBR usually separated Bright & Larkham, and Ambrose and Ingall, and Van Gisbergen and Davison... where they havent, the collective of talents and compromises formed hasnt really suited the running of the car, and they havent been super competitive.

Sponsors want their man in their car that they know. In all rounds of the series.

In the SBR case, that team has supported/assisted various drivers in other classes to get themselves a copilot package that suits their running style. Some work, some done. John McIntyre works very well. He does his own thing in the NZ series, is genuinely quick when he gets to the V8Supercar races, and it fits.

It worked for HRT to have Mr Percat in the development series all year, in a similar car that isnt quite to the exact same spec. It worked for 888 to have Mr Thompson in an identical car to the main ones, and he dominates on pace not strategy..

Each of these is an investment in the feeder classes. To build up the sport, to have a breeding ground for talent and new sponsors at a lower, less expensive level.

Its funny to read stuff like this when the teams are looking to run 2x FGs next year, the KR equipe is locking down a car in the Fujitsu series for Mr Waters.. SBR is already there with Mr McLaughlin, and helping Mr Cregan.

Just because the rules dont suit your immediate commercial aims doesnt make them wrong. They just dont suit right now. But if they develop links beyond their own backyard.. the sky remains the limit.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Oct 2011, 03:31 (Ref:2973071)   #30
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also lets not forget that these rules are not forced on the teams by some faceless body, they are put together by a body that consists of the team's elected representatives...
Old 18 Oct 2011, 03:37 (Ref:2973072)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
mr kelly can hardly complain about the cost, he didnt pay that much.

in the past though i guess some drivers paid to be there on race day, where as now they are part of a bigger team which may not allow for the pay drivers sponsor to get a mention
Old 18 Oct 2011, 03:43 (Ref:2973074)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
mr kelly can hardly complain about the cost, he didnt pay that much.

in the past though i guess some drivers paid to be there on race day, where as now they are part of a bigger team which may not allow for the pay drivers sponsor to get a mention
Judging by the additional brands that appeared on the #7 (Tex Onsite) and #15 (Barker Trailers) cars on the enduro weekends, it has you wondering if the KR team weren't getting paid for the ride..
Old 18 Oct 2011, 04:22 (Ref:2973082)   #33
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely Mr Simonsen didn't come cheaply?
Old 18 Oct 2011, 09:11 (Ref:2973173)   #34
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Bathurst is going to count for points towards the series then, in principle, the regular guys should be kept separate.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2973848)   #35
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
My two cents worth - I dont like the category telling teams which drivers to put in the teams own cars at any time.
No, they're not telling the teams who to put in the cars. Just not allowing team mates. (Although I think banning international Bathurst and PI drivers from the GC600 is daft)

Quote:
The teams pay the bills when the inevitable crash happens, the teams mechanics are the ones who stay up to all hours doing the repairs, and its the teams sponsors who fork out the hard earned.
So is the solution for teams who want to pair their regular drivers to park their second car? As otherwise the second car ends up with two non-regular drivers to crash it and keeping the mechanics away from making the regulars go faster!

Quote:
And it can be the championship competing driver who loses the possibility of winning the overall crown when he isn't even in the car.
So what happens when Courtney who's 16th crashes the car he's sharing with Tander who's 4th? Is that fair?

Quote:
So if the category forces the teams to put in drivers of the categories choice, I think that:
  • The category should supply funds and mechanics (like the tafe repair crew of old) to repair crashes done by the nominated co driver in the likely event they crash the thing;
  • Any of these rounds do not count towards the championship
Agree with number 2, or make the enduros single driver events.... which probably would require reducing the distance at Bathurst or splitting over two races.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2973972)   #36
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which will and should never ever happen. If you don't want the drivers to stay in their own cars for the Enduro's you could simply return to finishing the championship during the winter and reviving the Australian Endurance Championship.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 07:01 (Ref:2974143)   #37
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Not surprising really when your co-driver stuffs it in the wall.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/newsar...3/default.aspx

I disagree, I think its been a great rule and has certainly made the racing closer.
It's stuffed the Fujitsu series to the point where veteren teams are threatening to walk out.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 07:47 (Ref:2974152)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
It's stuffed the Fujitsu series to the point where veteren teams are threatening to walk out.
I also read the piece with Mr White threatening to leave because of the "level 1 invasion" but temper that with the thought that there are teams that havent invested in their equipment, that are running chassis that are at least one model, and several years in age, behind the likes of 888

Only one Ford squad is running an FG, and it isnt with the best driver in that squad. SBR are likely to run Mr McLaughlin at Sandown in an FG.

So that's 2 FGs in a field of 14 or so Fords.

At the end of next season, there will be ~20 FG Falcons without homes, available to Fujitsu series runners.. or museums.. as they wont be eligible for the main game any more.

What happens to the BF's at the end of next year when they run out of homologation life? Off to the Kumho series? Or do the teams invest in an FG rolling chassis and transplant their engine & transmission packages and run the current spec gear again?

I totally get that the 888 operation is a cut above some of the other runners in the field. But isnt the challenge then to go find the money, to go do the technical deals, to go find the pilots, to get the job done as well as can be done?