Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 9 Apr 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3055760)   #51
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Formula Ford 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
FF1600 is no longer a formula on the accepted career path for young drivers aiming to reach the upper levels of racing though!
Anyone with a brain can see that money talk in motorsport . The longer we keep the plebs spending stupid amounts of money on one make series the better. Real racing drivers will always shine through and as long as we can give less well off drivers a chance then there is a place FF1600. The fact ford yes spelt with a small f choose to show no support just sums up how most marketing misses the point. I wish all 6 of the new ecoford boy well and hope they go on to make a living out of our sport. The brscc race at Oulton two weeks ago had 50 cars spread over two races and the top six from each race would have given any of the eco boys a run for there money in equal cars. James Beckets National and International races always have the cream and you get to race against proven talent as well.

Ford as a company should be applauded for at least having a go and dont forget the UK market is small when the FIA are involved

final thought

FF1600 =small breaks small tyres = great spectical

Eco whatever = big breaks big tyres = pass me the remote

Peter
Old 9 Apr 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3055763)   #52
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely part of the problem is that there are already too many series, and a lot of them could, perhaps should, be culled.
However, we exist in a world where the MSA will issue a championship permit to anyone who provides the funds, and too many people think it is easier to 'take their ball' to play somewhere else rather than compete against others on a level playing field.

I understand there is a meeting at the MSA this week to discuss the state of Single seater racing in the UK, however not all interested partied had been invited. if we are not careful, we could soon be in a situation that there is no clear progression route for young drivers in UK based single seaters.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3055767)   #53
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS RH01 View Post
Anyone with a brain can see that money talk in motorsport . The longer we keep the plebs spending stupid amounts of money on one make series the better. Real racing drivers will always shine through and as long as we can give less well off drivers a chance then there is a place FF1600. Peter
I was at Snetterton this weekend to see Malvern prove the point that a couple of seasons in a mechanical grip formula is always better than rushing into aero cars just because a) Daddy has the cash and b) the cars look better.

Of course the other thing the well funded kids do is avoid all the competition lower down the club racing field many of whom they would learn from.

Whether FF1600 is part of the "accepted route" for an amateur aspiring to F1 or not is entirely down to the teams who make a fortune out of telling wealthy parents complete botox.

Last edited by Flavio Galtieri; 9 Apr 2012 at 11:57. Reason: I mean't a medical treatment not a part of a male's anatomy
Old 9 Apr 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3055768)   #54
EastonNeston
Veteran

I know several team owners who would love to know where these supposed 'fortunes' are been made.

It's definitely not in any of the series I'm involved with.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3055770)   #55
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
Snetteton this weekend

I was at snetterton this weekend and yes your right Flav . the strength and depth of the BARC Formula Renault championship was fantastic . The wet race shows how good grounding early on helps you learn your craft . The fact Ford chose not to fit sexy wings to there new car was a brave but excellent choice just think smaller breaks and harder tyres would go a long way to improving the show whalst still allowing the drivers to learn to work with engineers .
Old 9 Apr 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3055781)   #56
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS RH01 View Post
I was at snetterton this weekend and yes your right Flav . the strength and depth of the BARC Formula Renault championship was fantastic . The wet race shows how good grounding early on helps you learn your craft . .
Exactly. From where I was watching, at several parts of the wet circuit during qualifying, it was obvious those who had "no wings" experience had an advantage. They were later on the brakes, earlier on the throttle and didn't mind the chassis moving around. Malvern, Morris were quick, Webster probably due to three years experience of FR compared to the former two was also quick.

Most of the remainder were clearly unable to find a threshold for braking, had no idea where the grip was likely to be and later on the throttle on corner exit.

A complete waste of money imho since they could have had at least two races and a test in a race winning ff1600 for the same price, and learned how to race in the wet at no extra cost.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3055791)   #57
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Exactly. From where I was watching, at several parts of the wet circuit during qualifying, it was obvious those who had "no wings" experience had an advantage. They were later on the brakes, earlier on the throttle and didn't mind the chassis moving around. Malvern, Morris were quick, Webster probably due to three years experience of FR compared to the former two was also quick.

Most of the remainder were clearly unable to find a threshold for braking, had no idea where the grip was likely to be and later on the throttle on corner exit.

A complete waste of money imho since they could have had at least two races and a test in a race winning ff1600 for the same price, and learned how to race in the wet at no extra cost.
But Flavio you've forgotten:

"FF1600 is no longer a formula on the accepted career path for young drivers aiming to reach the upper levels of racing though!"

Now stop being a GOM & embrace the brave new world! (Tee Hee)
Old 9 Apr 2012, 12:48 (Ref:3055792)   #58
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
FF 1600 and the wet

I will show my hand im involved in Classics and to watch my guys dancing in the wet reminded me why i love Formula Ford .
One thing that is important is to remember that 2012 Formula Ford 1600 cars are just as good to watch . The basic rules were right when it was created .
To think you can have a seasons racing for less than the price of a test in a new eco car
Old 9 Apr 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3055846)   #59
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFfan View Post
Now stop being a GOM & embrace the brave new world! (Tee Hee)
BAh! Humbug! Where's the fun in that??
Old 9 Apr 2012, 16:32 (Ref:3055876)   #60
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
" it was obvious those who had "no wings" experience had an advantage. They were later on the brakes, earlier on the throttle and didn't mind the chassis moving around."

So how come Wagner finish so high? He has no experience of any cars other than FR.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 16:57 (Ref:3055891)   #61
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakedisc View Post
So how come Wagner finish so high? He has no experience of any cars other than FR.
Perhaps if he had he might have done better, who knows? It's only an opinion, other opinions are available.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3055898)   #62
EastonNeston
Veteran

In some ways the discussion we are having is taking place in many sports where there is a divergence between what is needed to succeed in the professional branches of the sport and what is needed for the 'mass participation' recreational part of the sport.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3055901)   #63
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
yes

Quote:
In some ways the discussion we are having is taking place in many sports where there is a divergence between what is needed to succeed in the professional branches of the sport and what is needed for the 'mass participation' recreational part of the sport.
Spot on and has always been so . It just good to see when a kid with no money makes it to the top .
I know this is right out there but do you think some of those hi paid F1 drivers could re invest some of there money back into the sport .
James Beckett is not rich but he still lets young drivers use his cars so just a bit of hip money could go a long way . Heres hoping !

Peter
Old 9 Apr 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3056095)   #64
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakedisc View Post
Precisely because he is a second year driver and as such, like Webster, has a better understanding of the Tatuus than drivers who are completely new to car racing. It seemed that conditions favoured those with either extra experience in the FRenault car or, as Flavio has pointed out, Formula Ford experience (thanks to the greater reliance on mechanical grip). Formula Ford still has its place. I think EcoBoost though is moving it too far away from that 'niche' in the market.

Saying that, I was surprised that Chris Middlehurst (FF1600) and Michael Epps (FVee) weren't quicker given the conditions. However, for both of them, these were their first races in an aero car.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3056114)   #65
EastonNeston
Veteran

Jake Dalton in his first experience of F Renault also got on the podium, which disproves the theory of 'barnetracing'.

With reference to the point from 'PRS' earlier, I'm sure many drivers do put something back into the sport, but keep it quiet to avoid attracting negative publicity.

Last edited by EastonNeston; 9 Apr 2012 at 23:22.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3056248)   #66
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
Saying that, I was surprised that Chris Middlehurst (FF1600) and Michael Epps' (FVee) weren't quicker given the conditions. However, for both of them, these were their first races in an aero car.
I don't know about Middlehurst but I know it was Epps first time in the car in wet conditions. I was at Riches and saw him lock up and simply go straight into the tyres. Maybe too much brake on the front or just inexperience, whatever he was then starting on the back for the rest of the weekend. Stalling off the line from the back row in race one didn't help either.....

We've all had weekends like that so I think next time out will provide a better clue to his ability.

Whatever our different points of view I think this series really is strong this year and anyone winning races will have done a great job.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 09:07 (Ref:3056258)   #67
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe starting a barc Renault thread would be a good idea, the last two pages on this thread havent mentioned formula ford at all.

There was actually some good racing this weekend in BFF, notably in the duratec class, some good battles and overtaking.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 09:23 (Ref:3056274)   #68
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
Quote:
Jake Dalton in his first experience of F Renault also got on the podium, which disproves the theory of 'barnetracing'.

With reference to the point from 'PRS' earlier, I'm sure many drivers do put something back into the sport, but keep it quiet to avoid attracting negative publicity.
I'm not going to get into a mudslinging match as you appear to be tempting me to. It is not just my theory, Flavio was actually the first to say that maybe the mechanical grip experience of Formula Ford Scott Malvern. I decided to take his idea slightly further. If you are simply going to 'follow' me around and flame everything I post I can't see much point in speaking my opinion...

Also, it's not that hard to spell my name right, is it?

Flavio, had Michael never raced a Vee in the wet? As you say, sounds like too much front bias on the brakes. Yes, this is a little off topic, I suppose (though that is the way many natural conversations diverge).

Last edited by barnettracing; 10 Apr 2012 at 09:24. Reason: Grammatical Error
Old 10 Apr 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3056290)   #69
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meanwhile at Zandvoort, the Dutch championship has started. The grid was very small, only 8 cars entered the 3 races, and 1 of them should have stayed at home, finisching none of the races, and even delaying one of them because of a crash in the warmuplap.
However, the drivers that did race did perform very well. Rookie Jos Kiekens won the first race, the second and third were won by 2009 champion and stand-in for an injured driver Melroy Heemskerk. In al the 3 races the top 5 finisched within seconds of eachother.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3056304)   #70
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Can we please stick to the subject matter which is Formula Ford and NOT Formula Renault?
Old 10 Apr 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3056307)   #71
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
Meanwhile at Zandvoort, the Dutch championship has started. The grid was very small, only 8 cars entered the 3 races, and 1 of them should have stayed at home, finisching none of the races, and even delaying one of them because of a crash in the warmuplap.
However, the drivers that did race did perform very well. Rookie Jos Kiekens won the first race, the second and third were won by 2009 champion and stand-in for an injured driver Melroy Heemskerk. In al the 3 races the top 5 finisched within seconds of eachother.
Are you guys still running the Duratec engine/regs?
Old 10 Apr 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3056550)   #72
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I witnessed the brave new world of FF1600 EcoBoost at Oulton Park on Saturday. Not a huge grid which isn't surprising given the current economic climate but I do think it's probably going to struggle to get going. Over engineered cars with all the modern gimics (apart from wings). It was ok but give me a late 1970's grid for proper racing!!

Luke Williams, Mygale M12-SJ, Eco Boost Formula Ford by Alansart, on Flickr

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/alansart/7060986423/][/url]
Antti Buri, JTR Mygale M12-SJ, Eco Boost Formula Ford by Alansart, on Flickr

Julio Moreno, JTR Mygale M12-SJ, Eco Boost Formula Ford by Alansart, on Flickr

More piccies here
Old 19 Apr 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3062082)   #73
Frederich
Rookie

Denmark
Aarhus, Denmark
Frederich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
Are you guys still running the Duratec engine/regs?
Yes, they are still running Duratec in the Dutch series allowing Zetec to join as well. The same is the case for the Danish, Swedish and Finnish series.

In Denmark we have "locked" the regulation until 2016 leaving the Duratec powered cars the fastest until then.

We have created an Nordic European Zone Cup race, where we expect conbined (Duratec/Zetec) grids of 30+
Old 23 Apr 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3064045)   #74
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thought i would chuck this in here as some Australian drivers make there way to the British series...

2012 Australian Formula Ford Points
Old 29 Apr 2012, 11:21 (Ref:3066904)   #75
Ramonramon
Rookie

Ramonramon has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm ray. George Blundells dad. We struggle to raise funding. It's a nightmare. Ff is all we can hope for. But I have to say, that the people and organisation are amazing and they are trying very hard to help the ecoboost winner. Would b nice if the duratec winner could get the same help. George has had a great start , with 2 podiums from 2 finishes. With 3 rounds under his belt, George is leading the rookie class and running third overall in duratec. I saw him running in second in his first ever car race and he was catching the leader until an experienced driver drove over him and he ended up with a dnf. U can c it on ch4. 5 may 7-25 am. He was leading his second ever race in a car .and in the rain too. Until he made a rookie error and went wide and finished 3rd. Round 3 finished 3rd again after a rookie bad start. Plus 2 top rookie awards. Good luck to all u Motorsport
lot. It's hard out there. But , we must just keep pushing and knocking on doors
Closed Thread