Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 27 Jan 2000, 18:38 (Ref:3145)   #1
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The year 2000 Castle Combe has been produced, for the first time in full colour to tie in with the tracks 50th aneversary.
To get you copy, find out details at the castle combe web site. http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk
Old 27 Jan 2000, 23:20 (Ref:3146)   #2
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks bloke. Am heading that way now...
Old 12 Feb 2000, 17:36 (Ref:3147)   #3
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Graham, have you got yours yet?
Bet your looking forward to the 29th of May? 4 different classes of Mini's......Nice
Old 17 Feb 2000, 00:42 (Ref:3148)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've now had a chance to look through this years guide..

It looks a little 'weak' to me!!! Combe seems to have lost out this year. TVR's, Caterham's and minis visit only once and many of the other series that we've seen over the last few years are noticable by their absence.

Few bonus's are the 50 anniversary meeting (which looks good) and at least we're guaranteed good local championships..

I always thought - that the revisions to the circuits were supposed to attract the likes of the Powertour championship..

Don't get me wrong - I think clubbie meets are far better than any TOCA rubbish I've ever been to!!!!
Old 17 Feb 2000, 15:11 (Ref:3149)   #5
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.

Not a hope of the power tour in my opinion.
If the locals will keep on dissagreeing with every proposal put forward by the circuit, then we are nevr going to develop the infield, so giving us a real paddock and pit garages, this will stop the likes of FPA, and other big chapionships.
THe national saloons are coming though, and the national zetecs, shpuld be good.
The ARP's etc give some good action, and formula saloons!
It's not all bad
Old 17 Feb 2000, 17:37 (Ref:3150)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is a good point here. My experience last year at Combe was spoiled by two things.

1. The Paddock was grassy. All very well but in the kind of rain we had we were slipping and sliding all over the damn place.

2. The two chicanes spoil what would otherwise be a great track. The second in particular takes all the rythm out of the track.

I would think those are the reasons why the bigger championships don't want to go there this year.
Old 17 Feb 2000, 22:35 (Ref:3151)   #7
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.

It is a little bit crazy, Championships were staying away because it was too fast a track, they wont go there because there is no flow,
I do agree about the second one though, one chicane may have been enough?
I fear COmbe may end up a club racing capital, like Mallory for example.
No to bad a thing.
Old 18 Feb 2000, 00:14 (Ref:3153)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something had to change - I think everyone agrees on that... but the chicanes have had a mixed review. They were actually planned before those large accidents at Camp ( all were very scary and one tragic). But they won't stop a wheel flying 50 feet in the air or get Combe better series ( due to other problems - grassy paddock being one of them).

At least the facilities have got better and the racing still remains close - if a little slower...

I always thought - while not change the alignment of the corners (Camp and Old Paddock) so you get more run off... and if needed a sprinkle of gravel.

But hey, I'm not in charge.
Old 18 Feb 2000, 00:18 (Ref:3154)   #9
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Oh, and Lee.

I'm afraid we don't get National Saloons as they purely race with PowerTour.. sod.

I'm off to Goodwood tomorrow for the 750 MC test day, I'll let you know who's there etc..
(Bob Light maybe)
Perhaps not next week as I'm off to Devon.
Old 18 Feb 2000, 08:15 (Ref:3152)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well the chicanes were the MSA's over-reaction to a very tragic accident. The better solution would be to move the spectators back from the track. But then the spectators complain so you can't win.

However. The Combe circuit prides itself on its club racing calendar. I sometimes think it gets a bit incestuous but there you go.
Old 18 Feb 2000, 20:02 (Ref:3155)   #11
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Arse, I thought that they were doing a few non-power tour meetings
Let me know who is there, that would be good.
Old 20 Feb 2000, 23:16 (Ref:3156)   #12
Graham
Veteran

Lee,

Nope I don't have mine - I just emailed the circuit and said "Go on, send one this way please" or words to that effect. Maybe I'll badger them again.

I noticed in a leaflet Andy (my brother) got that the changes I'd noticed on Top Gear had actually been done and not just my imagination.

What does everyone think, and has anyone seen the changes up-close?

Could someone just give a short run-down of the Combe season so my brain is satiated until I get me guide...
Old 20 Feb 2000, 23:19 (Ref:3157)   #13
Graham
Veteran

Oh yes, and there planting some trees (at last). Bet they're nowhere useful - like inside of Quarry.
Old 20 Feb 2000, 23:20 (Ref:3158)   #14
Graham
Veteran

Peter,

Have you ever driven Combe pre-chicanes?
Old 16 Mar 2000, 20:48 (Ref:3159)   #15
Graham De Looze
Rookie

Graham De Looze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any one into special saloons here at coombe.
I do a space frame Mini if any one is interested my site is www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~graham
cheers graham
Old 17 Mar 2000, 00:12 (Ref:3161)   #16
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I like your website, all very interesting..

Not sure how many small space frame cars are now left in the Castle Combe series. The regular one (it's in one of your pictures) was destroyed in a very large accident last year!! The driver now races saloons..

What other series do they race in, and could you give an indication of costs involved??
Old 17 Mar 2000, 08:57 (Ref:3160)   #17
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
You really should be posting web aresses in the Cool Sites section.
But I suppose this is quite relevent.
Old 17 Mar 2000, 17:02 (Ref:3162)   #18
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Dan, you know the driver of the imp you were talking about, he is racing a rover 220 turbo now, well he was racing one of those before his imp!
Just a little useless fact.
Old 17 Mar 2000, 20:20 (Ref:3163)   #19
Graham De Looze
Rookie

That car was a Ray Imp, They were suposed to be better than the Maguires I think it had a Peugot engine in. It looked lower than a maguire .I spoke to the guy since the crash but i think its impossible to repair it.A chassis of mine would be £2500. You can finish one for £8000 depending on spec.
Old 17 Mar 2000, 20:44 (Ref:3164)   #20
Graham De Looze
Rookie

Another series is Lynton Trailers.Or Ace Vehicle Deliveries.
Old 19 Mar 2000, 19:57 (Ref:3165)   #21
Graham
Veteran

I've just added a few pics to my site (nothing much) if any Combe addicts are interested.
http://www.british-motorsport.co.uk/...date/index.htm
Old 19 Mar 2000, 21:21 (Ref:3166)   #22
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Nice pictures mate
Speaking of which, where is that link you promised me
Old 22 Mar 2000, 16:45 (Ref:3167)   #23
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I see that Keith Macskill is returning to the Pagids this year...

I hope he's back to his best, as that'll be another really competitve driver for the series..

A welcome return to Combe!!

Does anyone know what he'll be driving??
Old 22 Mar 2000, 17:17 (Ref:3168)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It was this wet in October last year. My first ever racing visit

Old 22 Mar 2000, 19:02 (Ref:3169)   #25
Graham
Veteran

Nice pics? Cheers. The best I can do with no flash.

Link? Damn. Forgot. Will add later tonight if I get time.

Wish I could take pics like that. I'm buying a 500mm and flash soon so maybe I'll be able to...
Peter, is that pic by the professional bloke who follows the CSCC races? Andrew Guy showed me a couple he'd got from him - good pics.