Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 22 Mar 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2658115)   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
It IS the big tunnel at the back (Stavelot) that caved in, not the one in the paddock. And no one was hurt in the incident.
I gathered it wasn't one of the paddock tunnels, I just wasn't sure which one it was at Stavelot, there is more than one at that end isn't there and I also seem to remember cycling through another one somewhere near the marshal's camp near Les Combes last year.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2658168)   #27
tommy84
Rookie

Germany
Huenfelden
tommy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@Tim
That must be the tunnel at the exit of Malmedy heading towards Rivage then where you cycled through.
Apart from that there is also a small pedestrian tunnel at the bottom of Eau Rouge, the old paddock entrance at the main grandstand, a tunnel from the F1 paddock to the media and team parking at La Source, a tunnel roughly at the Bus-Stop to switch from infield to outside and a tunnel at Stavelot that forces you to change to the inside of the circuit if you walk along the track opposite to the direction of travel

From what it looks in the video it is the main paddock entrance for trucks at Stavelot which is also used to access the karting track. That's where I know the sight from as we usually go for a ride with the rental karts during LMS and 24h
Old 22 Mar 2010, 21:46 (Ref:2658188)   #28
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a track day there on the Saturday, the CSCC were there but I don't know how many.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2658207)   #29
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, the one near the marshal's campsite is the very low one, where once and a while you see an idiot with a van getting stuck.

Here a few piccies from the collapse:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tunnel francorchamps 001.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	25857 Click image for larger version

Name:	tunnel francorchamps 02.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	25858

I don't think any races will get cancelled as they still have just over 4 weeks to get it repaired / filled up.
Trucks could enter the track via the old way, La Source hairpin or Les Combes or even past the med center.

As soon as I get reliable news I'll post it.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2659325)   #30
calypsoelise
Rookie

France
Rebreuve sur Canche
calypsoelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
closed upto and including 15th April.

http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/en07/home/index.php

Spa Francorchamps Circuit, Press release, 24 March 2010
Circuit de Spa Francorchamps S.A. wishes to report that track activities at the Spa Francorchamps Circuit have been suspended until 15 April due to the collapse of the Blanchimont tunnel.
The Intercommunal Circuit Association, which is responsible for maintenance of the site, has drawn up a schedule which foresees the end of stabilisation work on the track and its verges by this date.
Circuit de Spa Francorchamps S.A. has no choice but to cancel all events scheduled to take place on the Circuit up to and including Thursday 15 April. All sports races will be able to go ahead as normal, since none of them were scheduled to take place before 24 April.
The cancelled events concern competitive teams from Spain, Italy and Germany coming to train in preparation for the 2010 season, as well as English, Dutch and German teams coming to Francorchamps so that their many members can enjoy use of the track.
Cancellation of events at the Circuit unfortunately also means cancellation of a large number of overnight stays in hotels and guesthouses in the region.
P.A. Thibaut
Managing Director
Old 24 Mar 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2659381)   #31
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They still have no clue what caused the collapse, at first they thought it was the massive rain and snow that caused the problem, but the protective tarmac roofing in the tunnel is still intact, no tear or wear.
Tomorrow will be a sort of D Day concerning the solution of the problem, ie time left for repairs and the first (bike) race at the end of April.

Losses are estimated at around 160,000 € (track fees, food outlets, ...) for starters.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 13:41 (Ref:2660418)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Confirmed this lunch time---The circuit WILL be up and running on the 15/4.Tests have been carried out on the thirty year old pillars in the tunnel,one was found not to be up to the job,vunerable to the heavy freezing over the last few months. However,because this pillar could have been sorted and prevented the collapse from happening,the insurers will not be paying out for any lose's,estimated at 20 Euro per day!
The whole section going over the tunnel will be re-surfaced.

[Sorry this is not actually about the 6hr proper,but I thought it relevant,rather than just prattling on and on about things that bear no importance to the race weekend itself------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Old 26 Mar 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2660547)   #33
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
...the insurers will not be paying out for any lose's,estimated at 20 Euro per day! ...:
€20 per day doesn't sound too much!!

Old 26 Mar 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2660553)   #34
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
However,because this pillar could have been sorted and prevented the collapse from happening,the insurers will not be paying out for any lose's,estimated at 20 Euro per day!
I have often wondered what insurance does cover. It always seems to me that there are more exclusions than inclusions.

The great trick, IMO, was to turn the concept from being a mutual loss coverage scheme for traders into a compulsory purchase enforced (sort of) by Law. Applying that concept to some key parts of the insurance business makes everything else possible and conditions the customers to accept something as being better than nothing.

It seems to be a business policy concept that is being widely disseminated to other areas of our lives beyond insurance, whether we like it or not.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2660581)   #35
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSheds View Post
€20 per day doesn't sound too much!!

Sorry about that,there should have been a 'K' on the end of 20.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2660617)   #36
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
They are planning to be "open" again on the 15th as on the 16th the FIA shows up for the track inspection for that section.
The builders are going to work in at least two shifts, even over the easter holiday period.
So I'd guess this means only two workers leaning on a shuffle and 4 working.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2660657)   #37
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry about that,there should have been a 'K' on the end of 20.
I had guessed that but couldn't resist!!

Old 27 Mar 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2661143)   #38
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Eddy? Are they employing British contractors reccomended by a Mr. Gillett?
Old 29 Mar 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2663035)   #39
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK

Could be, but I doubt it.
At Spa they are more than able to f up their own mess, as usual.
Probably they're using the local yokels, even as landfill.
No loss there!

I wonder if Mr Gillett has part ownership in Eurotunnel, as they seem to have more and more problems lately with safety issues.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2663106)   #40
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Perhaps this is the extension to Eurotunnel?
Old 1 Apr 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2665029)   #41
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Noo, not good. For me it should have started at Zolder, that is only 15 miles away. For Spa I have to drive "away" from the UK first.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2675133)   #42
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
They were running again (trackday) today at Spa.
The tunnel isn't repaired yet, but they are busy sliding a new concrete tunnel inside the old tunnel. After that has finished they will start repairing the graveltrap, armco and fiberglass cable for the cctv. They should be operational again just in time for the first race.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2677173)   #43
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I was looking at the pictures etc on the Spa website. They have a week to get it finished? Let it settle for a week before LMS...
Old 21 Apr 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2677541)   #44
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
I know that the tunnel parts are built almost on site to save on time, but I have my doubts as well.
They still have to fill the gap between the top of the square tunnel sections and the old tunnel with a special cement like thingy. Only after that they can start filling the hole in the graveltrap.

But maybe when the local yokels get their hands in it might even work.

Trucks go in and out via Blanchimont gate, before and after track activity.
Old 4 May 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2684485)   #45
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
The tunnel has been repaired. The proper Spa way.

It is too low now for the real big trucks to get in or out.
Michelin and so couldn't get in on Wednesday before the Renault World Series. Their big rig got stuck inside and they had to deflate the tires of the truck and trailer so they could move again.
They just made it through. They gave it a try on Monday, but quickly reverted to getting out via the track.

http://www.autohebdo.fr/monoplaces/w...-francorchamps

To be continued.