Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2004, 10:16 (Ref:837676)   #26
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do what you like in testing - even do a "Prost" if you like.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 11:19 (Ref:837744)   #27
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok, this wing thing is actually not a big deal, a) cause its testing and b) the new ('04) wings are theoretically faster anyway...

As found in Autosport tomorrow..... (Firstveiw's great)
Quote:
New Rules push up speeds: Formula 1's new-for-2004 bodywork regulations have improved the car' performance, even though they were brought in only as a means of boosting the visibility of sponser logos.
with reference to how i feel over the he second part of that quote, look at the "airboxs and wing regs" thread i started.
Quote:
Jaguar revealed last week that the rear wing and engine cover modifications have decreased donwforce by 3% but improved drag by an impressive 4.3%. This means the overall performance of the car has been theoretically improved.
This will be explained in two ways.
1) downforce reduction due to two elements instead of 3, as three can produce more downforce for a given drag level.
2) Larger endplates, while themselves producing more drag due to their size, are much more effective at producing downforce for a given wing width than a smaller plate. (This has also been discused in the Sportscar and GT forum, of the Audi R8's much copied endplates). Basically, for a given wing width, a larger endplate will produce more downforce, allowing a smaller wing setting to be used, and hence even less drag.

So in my veiw, Mclaren still have more to come....

Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 14 Jan 2004 at 11:20.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 12:15 (Ref:837784)   #28
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting, Try Hard.

Would be circuit-dependent of course - sometimes you need just as much total downforce as you can get, virtually regardless of drag penalty.

Of course it is only testing, but judging by the amount of work completed and by consistency rather than performance I'd say Williams seem the most ahead of the game. as you say, plenty more to come from McLaren.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 04:05 (Ref:838836)   #29
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I wonder if they try those combinations just to have the data in the computer - in case of an on-track situation that may come up later. But it probably is a bench-marking kind of thing.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 04:11 (Ref:838838)   #30
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Oh yeah, and don't forget the "comparison testing" that Minardi was doing with the Arrows.

Kind of amusing really to think that anyone would be thinking you are cheating at testing: no one in their right mind is going to show all the cards in their hand, you know? I am sure they keep the "good stuff" in the garage!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 21:10 (Ref:840891)   #31
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or test the "good stuff" independantly or in different combinations on different cars.