Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:12 (Ref:837860)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Going "Straight"

Prompted by the Bus Stop thread, I wondered how many circuits have curved start/finish straights.

As discussed elsewhere Monaco and Silverstone are curved.

Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:20 (Ref:837864)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Are we talking about the actual (whole) start/finish straight or just wehere the grid forms?

Silverstone's grid was moved a couple of years ago so that all the cars are now on the straight. But the actual "straight" is curved. (at the entry to it)

From memory, using this theory, France, Canada and Japan also have surves in (part) of their main straight.

Last edited by Mr V; 14 Jan 2004 at 13:21.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:39 (Ref:837889)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... Canada is a short straight, and Japan is a long straight... is that right ? ? ?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:40 (Ref:837890)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well the start finish straight is longer than just the grid. But then you get into what constitutes the first corner. So I guesss its where the grid forms up. Didn't realize they'd repositioned Silverstone.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:41 (Ref:837891)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Monaco?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:41 (Ref:837892)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Didn't realize they'd repositioned Silverstone.
I believe it was so that the cars at the back of the grid could see the start light gantry???
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:44 (Ref:837899)   #7
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Magny Cour? Is the line literally after the last bend
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:57 (Ref:837916)   #8
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my freinds who did some data acquisition for Jaguar told me that in F1 terms, if you don't lift off the throttle or brake, it is considered a straight, no matter what the steering position or lateral G's are...

I think Brazil's final section would count as a curved start/finish straight...
Old 14 Jan 2004, 14:22 (Ref:837963)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, i'd say it's Interlagos, Monaco, Canada, Silverstone, Spa maybe?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 14:35 (Ref:837978)   #10
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
I think the circuit in Buenos Aires, Argentina had a curve in the start/finish straight some years, it depended where they put the start/finish line...
Old 14 Jan 2004, 16:14 (Ref:838103)   #11
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
One of my freinds who did some data acquisition for Jaguar told me that in F1 terms, if you don't lift off the throttle or brake, it is considered a straight, no matter what the steering position or lateral G's are...

I think Brazil's final section would count as a curved start/finish straight...
Would that make Indy a straight then?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 19:45 (Ref:838338)   #12
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
Yes, it sure would, according to their criteria for a straight.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:02 (Ref:838361)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Cougar21
Would that make Indy a straight then?
But would it? After all, the last turn is actually named (turn 13 iirc???).

The kink in the middle of the Monaco "straight" isn't named.

(sorry about my poor example, but i hope you all get what i mean )
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:15 (Ref:838376)   #14
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
This is true, that turn at Indy is named by the track. But if you follow the logic presented by my friend, I guess that it would not be a turn...

To confuse the issue, I'm pretty sure I have seen an F1 steering wheel from last year's USGP that had turn 13 numbered on the track map in the center of the wheel...
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:24 (Ref:838390)   #15
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:30 (Ref:838400)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Going "Straight"

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Prompted by the Bus Stop thread, I wondered how many circuits have curved start/finish straights.
Why do you wonder Pete?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:38 (Ref:838676)   #17
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This topic is not what I thought it was. I thought Pete was telling us something?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 06:21 (Ref:838879)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
This topic is not what I thought it was. I thought Pete was telling us something?
I knew it would get your attention.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 11:19 (Ref:839104)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
In Parc Ferme, it would have another reaction.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 10:09 (Ref:840148)   #20
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Redblurr
Magny Cour? Is the line literally after the last bend
This finish line is, the start line isn't.