Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Aug 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1072910)   #1
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stock Cars

My apologies for using what purists may consider a dirty word.

I know that Derek Warwick was some sort of Stock Car champion (Superstox?) before moving on to circuit racing and ultimately Formula 1 and Le Mans. Googling doesn't come up with much and I was wondering if anyone on this forum can give any details. i.e. what championship, what is a Superstox, etc. I know nothing.

One site also said that Martin Brundle also started on the ovals. Any truth in the statement?

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1073093)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I had a traveller, west country gypsy guy comes into the shop now and then and he was telling me he knew Derek Warick personally and all his family ad remembered when he started in Stocks and short circuit stuff, he seemed pretty knowledgeable I will tap him up for a few more details the next time he reappears.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 11:27 (Ref:1077919)   #3
Even Darker
Rookie

Even Darker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D-Type

I'm probably unusual in liking both historic racing and Stock Car racing (both the US and UK versions).

Stock car racing got started in the UK in 1954 and initially used completely "stock" cars, with some additional protection front and rear to cope with the contact inevitable when you got 20 or 30 cars on a quarter mile oval.

The cars rapidly diverged from stock and this was accelerated in 1955 when a team of US drivers came over with Modified/Sportsman type cars. Racing then diverged from the US as contact became a legitimate part of the event to move someone off the racing line and armour increased accordingly.

The sport then developed an internal division as some drivers went for very heavy powerful cars and others went for very light mobile ones. This inevitably ended in tears and it was decided to split the two sorts of cars into separate events for "Seniors" and "Juniors", later to become F1 and F2 Stock Cars.

In the early sixties an acrimonious dispute between the governing body (BRISCA) and one of the leading promoters of Junior racing (Spedeworth) led to Spedeworth going off by themselves and eventually renaming the formula Superstox. The two sides have only recently begun talking to each other again!

A modern Superstox and F2 are very similar in specification, but not identical. Those of us who support F2 tend to consider the Superstox as suffering a machoism deficiency, as they allow less contact. The cars are now purpose built specials, similar to a US midget, but with heavy steel bumpers fore and aft. AFAIK, the F2s now almost all use production based Ford 2 litre engines with restricted tuning. This contrasts with the F1s that use either small or big block Chevys and can be very spectacular on a quarter mile track.

I could ramble on for ever, but if there are specific points that interest you, let me know. On the topic of Derek Warwick, I can't recall exactly when he won , but I can say that every variant of the sport has its own "World Championship". These are slightly more international than baseball's "World Series", but not much. I'll check at home to see if I've got any more info on Warwick.

Steve
Old 26 Aug 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1077952)   #4
Even Darker
Rookie

Even Darker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just managed to find the date of Warwick's championship, I knew he started racing in Superstox at a very early age (16 IIRC). Apparently it was 1973 when he won the Superstox World Championship. He has maintained links to his roots over the years and still makes the occasional guest appearance at oval tracks.
Old 8 Feb 2014, 03:30 (Ref:3365576)   #5
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a photo of Derek's #221 Superstox from 1973:

Old 8 Feb 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3365642)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Blimey talk about revive an old thread, I was doing the oval rounds at the same time as the Warwick clan were racing before Derek started in FF.
Of course the family trailer business was ideal for making Superstock chassis !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Feb 2014, 08:31 (Ref:3366038)   #7
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to go to the stock cars at Nelson in Lancashire at one time, and occasionally the White City at Manchester.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3366639)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some of the rose tinted brigade on here should go mroe often.

Superstox these days are a very lightweight form of contact oval sport, mainly run in the South.

proper stuff is Brisca, F1, F2 and Saloons. Far better, far mroe cars, much more contact.

But then, on this section, goinground and round is probably about as welcome as it would be in the Le Mans section.

Starter for one.... Drag racing?
Old 10 Feb 2014, 22:27 (Ref:3366660)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was watching BRISCA stock cars back in around 83/84 that got me back interested in motor racing. I was studying in Manchester at the time. I love Le Mans, but I loved BRISCA too......
Old 10 Feb 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3366675)   #10
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Proper stuff!!

Superstox might not have the numbers of BRISCA F2, but the racing is good, the formula has a long history, and they have produced some good racing over the winter months at Wimbledon, which still has a post and wire fence.

Brother Paul Warwick, raced superstox as did his father.

When Brundle was in F3 he took his Ralt to Wimbledon for the BP night and lapped the oval in his F3 car.

Dave Coyne made appearances in a Norman Abbott Rent A Rod, in Hot Rod races during the winter at Wimbledon in the 1980's.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 21:18 (Ref:3367056)   #11
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, Derek Warwick was Superstox 'World' Champion in 1973. Am I correct to assume that the championship was contesteed at a single meeting rather that a season long points series like the WDC?
But Martin Brundle didn't race on the ovals.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3367066)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Martin may have done, not sure at what level being as he was based near Kings Lynn where there has always been short oval racing.

the world championships are based on a single meeting yes, but usually you qualify over a season, so your grid pos is based on points scored, so you race over the year in handicap format, and if you are top scorer, you race from pole in the world final, closed grid, longer laps.

And for the next year you wear a gold roof. Paul was just as good actually.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 22:10 (Ref:3367084)   #13
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm fairly sure Brundle raced Hot Rods and Autograss at some point.
There are probably about 10 stock car events throughout the year I put down as "must do" and normally get to a few more random meetings too. Great racing and some very talented drivers out there as well.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3369406)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Martin started in grass track and then defiantly went on to Hot Rods (in an Anglia) before going on to single seater's in FF.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Feb 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3369419)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I know Robin cetinaly was pretty handy in the non contact stuff around the area.

Ian McKellar was prettty good, a few have been good in both, Rob Speak, Pete Falding were both world champs in F1 stox and were handy in ASCAR and Eurocar.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 21:14 (Ref:3369466)   #16
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the days before video and DVD, there was actually an official Audio Tape of the commentary for the 1973 Superstox World Final.

Usually, I think it's a draw for the Suoerstox World. In recent years it has alternated between Wimbledon and Ipswich, but the title went to scotland in 2012, so the 2013 race was held there.

This year its back to London and Wimbledon, for the first meeting after the summer break, on the 5th October.

Sadly with all the talk of the stadium being redeveloped into a football pitch, this could be the last "world" title at he track.

The stadium is only a shadow of its former self, with only the old back straight now open to the public, but the racing has been excellent this winter, and last night was a cracker, with superstox and classic hot rods, almost felt like being there in the later 1970's minus the air horns.

Paul was good in Superstox, and used to put the bumper in, so it got to the stage where a lot of lesser grade drivers would jump out of the way rather than risk a hit and a trip into the fence.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 22:01 (Ref:3369489)   #17
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex

The World Championship Cup

the 2011 World Champion Nick Smith
Old 17 Feb 2014, 23:50 (Ref:3369521)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Wow that's my old Hot Rod number !