Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Oct 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3465327)   #51
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
for me this would stack up why Ron may want to desperately sign Alonso, but he's cool about it in public.......my understanding is the Santander spanish banking sponsorship, currently splashed accros Ferraris F1 cars will follow Alonso wherever he goes, this would be the title sponsor that Ron needs to honour his deal in the McLaren board room, and therefore keep his position and not be replaced by Berger.........whereas if he signs Lewis he just gets a brilliant driver, and possibly this years champ, but no title sponsor.......for me it does seem Ron is playing a high stakes poker game and he could very easily lose his hand.......this is probably why Alonso is being ultra cool about his position next year, as he knows he controls the Santander sponsorship direction......and he knows Ron needs it badly
Old 15 Oct 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3465354)   #52
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I go with that scenario..
Old 15 Oct 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3465434)   #53
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
for me this would stack up why Ron may want to desperately sign Alonso, but he's cool about it in public.......my understanding is the Santander spanish banking sponsorship, currently splashed accros Ferraris F1 cars will follow Alonso wherever he goes, this would be the title sponsor that Ron needs to honour his deal in the McLaren board room, and therefore keep his position and not be replaced by Berger.........whereas if he signs Lewis he just gets a brilliant driver, and possibly this years champ, but no title sponsor.......for me it does seem Ron is playing a high stakes poker game and he could very easily lose his hand.......this is probably why Alonso is being ultra cool about his position next year, as he knows he controls the Santander sponsorship direction......and he knows Ron needs it badly
yes.... But.
The boss of Santander whose family own the bank, and who was one of the primary forces in their involvement with F1, died recently.
However;
Movistar is travelling with Alonso to who ever he drives for and BlackBerry are said to be looking at hooking up with them as well.

That may be another reason Ron and Alonso are playing poker....
Old 15 Oct 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3465438)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
yes.... But.
The boss of Santander whose family own the bank, and who was one of the primary forces in their involvement with F1, died recently.
However;
Movistar is travelling with Alonso to who ever he drives for and BlackBerry are said to be looking at hooking up with them as well.

That may be another reason Ron and Alonso are playing poker....
I'm surprised Blackberry would leave Mercedes, just as Mercedes have won the Contructor's Championship and will undoubtedly win the WDC as well as the runner up.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3465442)   #55
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm surprised Blackberry would leave Mercedes, just as Mercedes have won the Contructor's Championship and will undoubtedly win the WDC as well as the runner up.
They could sponsor both.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 21:40 (Ref:3465446)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
They could sponsor both.
Do Blackberry have the money? I thought they were in difficulty as they are being squeezed out of the mobile phone market by Apple and Samsung.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3465447)   #57
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Do Blackberry have the money? I thought they were in difficulty as they are being squeezed out of the mobile phone market by Apple and Samsung.
People have said that but they sponsor Mercedes already and maybe things aren't all they look like on the outside....
Old 16 Oct 2014, 08:18 (Ref:3465535)   #58
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Blackberry are finished and I'd be surprised if they undertake any new sponsorship deals once the Merc one has run its course.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3465536)   #59
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This is an indictment of just how bad F1 is if a driver like Alonso is effectively 'paying for his drive'... to an organization as illustrious as McLaren.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 11:10 (Ref:3465588)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
People have said that but they sponsor Mercedes already and maybe things aren't all they look like on the outside....
If they sponsor another team along with Mercedes, it will mess up their brand awareness and association with Mercedes. Anyway, I'm well off topic.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 14:59 (Ref:3465636)   #61
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
This is an indictment of just how bad F1 is if a driver like Alonso is effectively 'paying for his drive'... to an organization as illustrious as McLaren.
oh, I'm sure this is only half of the actual situation......my other belief is that Alonso will be well aware of his previous mistake of not contractually tying up his outright number one status within the McLaren team before he joins, unlike in 2007........hence he is probably playing poker for that too.......Button may have been told you can stay in 2015 but you'll be No2 for Alonso, to which he will probably never accept, hence he may retire......so then Magnussen would be an ideal second driver for captain Alonso to regularly crush
Old 16 Oct 2014, 20:28 (Ref:3465725)   #62
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
oh, I'm sure this is only half of the actual situation......my other belief is that Alonso will be well aware of his previous mistake of not contractually tying up his outright number one status within the McLaren team before he joins, unlike in 2007........hence he is probably playing poker for that too.......Button may have been told you can stay in 2015 but you'll be No2 for Alonso, to which he will probably never accept, hence he may retire......so then Magnussen would be an ideal second driver for captain Alonso to regularly crush
I doubt Alonso has that much bargaining power to be making that type of demand. Dennis has all the cards.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 21:27 (Ref:3465745)   #63
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Dennis knows how good Alonso is but also what a diva he can be. However he'll take a brilliant diva if it means his cars go fastet than they would do with the current drivers anyday!
Old 16 Oct 2014, 23:07 (Ref:3465761)   #64
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Dennis knows how good Alonso is but also what a diva he can be. However he'll take a brilliant diva if it means his cars go fastet than they would do with the current drivers anyday!
He didn't turn out to be so good last time around, then again Ron's protégé was in the equation.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 23:44 (Ref:3465766)   #65
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Alonso is going to have to restrain that inner diva. He's no options really if he wants to drive in '15. Hamilton isn't going to make a speculative move, RBR seats are tied up and spoken for, so he has to parlay with Ron Dennis. And it's also a gamble as to what seats are available in 2016 if he does sit out the year. He may have to scramble back onto the grid rather than count on a plumb drive. Not good for a man impatient to be WC again.

I was struck by the interview Brundle had with Dennis a few races ago. Dennis was palpably more self satisfied than normal. He is enjoying this situation. I don't think Alonso is.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3465850)   #66
davyboy
Veteran

Don't rule out Alonso doing a Fittipaldi/Hill and heading somewhere obscure that makes no sense to the rest of us
Old 17 Oct 2014, 16:21 (Ref:3465969)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He didn't turn out to be so good last time around, then again Ron's protégé was in the equation.
How many races and podiums did he score?

It was the lack of team direction that cost him and led to his implosion otherwise Ferrari wouldn't have stood a chance!
Old 17 Oct 2014, 16:28 (Ref:3465974)   #68
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Don't rule out Alonso doing a Fittipaldi/Hill and heading somewhere obscure that makes no sense to the rest of us
That would be something! !
Old 17 Oct 2014, 16:30 (Ref:3465976)   #69
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
granted Alonso is older now and seems more mellow but i cant help but wonder how much of the 'calm Fernando' is the result of Flav not being in the picture any more?

on the flip side if Flav was still around, would a driver of Alonso's talents be waiting around for a drive?

Mclaren would probably be out of the picture but in hindsight would it be fair to say that Flav would have had him out of Ferrari a couple of years ago and quite possibly have had him in at Merc as Schumi's replacement?
Old 17 Oct 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3465979)   #70
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
granted Alonso is older now and seems more mellow but i cant help but wonder how much of the 'calm Fernando' is the result of Flav not being in the picture any more?

on the flip side if Flav was still around, would a driver of Alonso's talents be waiting around for a drive?

Mclaren would probably be out of the picture but in hindsight would it be fair to say that Flav would have had him out of Ferrari a couple of years ago and quite possibly have had him in at Merc as Schumi's replacement?
Quite probably... but then a blind man at night could see Ferrari have been going nowhere for some time now and I'm fairly sure Fernando's big and ugly enough to exercise a performance clause, gather up the geese and get the flock out of there.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3465993)   #71
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
If Alonso lead a consortium to pick up Sauber which was rumoured at one point and Alonso had ideas to lead that initiative - I'd enjoy seeing that but I'm not sure I could foresee anything other than a fiasco!

Alonso is too combustible to be able to do it. If there was one guy who could make it work; it'd be Schumacher and this hard-nosed work ethic but he never showed even one whit of interest in pursuing that.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3465998)   #72
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
How many races and podiums did he score?

It was the lack of team direction that cost him and led to his implosion otherwise Ferrari wouldn't have stood a chance!
At McLaren he had 4 wins and 12 podiums. At Ferrari he's had 11 wins and 44 podiums.

I always thought his implosion was due to Ron Dennis focusing most of his attention and team resources on Hamiton.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 18:29 (Ref:3466006)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nice little Alonso vs Hamilton Hungary 2007 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWJCGInsVUs

thats was a rather fun weekend on the forum (probably not for the mods though).
Old 17 Oct 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3466007)   #74
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
nice little Alonso vs Hamilton Hungary 2007 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWJCGInsVUs

thats was a rather fun weekend on the forum (probably not for the mods though).
I'd forgotten about that. I like the fact Ron Dennis went and had a word with Alonso's physiotherapist about what happened.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3466010)   #75
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
and to think that wasnt even close to being the craziest thing to happen to Mclaren that season!