Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Oct 2014, 14:45 (Ref:3459836)   #1
Michael24
Rookie

Netherlands
Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Michael24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max Verstappen - year 0

Might as well get this thread started .. it was as inevitable as his ascendancy to F1.

This morning Max Verstappen officially started his career as an F1 driver. After all the hoopla, noises, faces, names and everything else that went around, he finally got down to what it's all about. Driving a current F1 car during an F1 weekend on an F1 circuit, taking on all the other names and faces.

Yes, it was only FP1. And yes, he said he just got on with the job, which was getting down milage, rather then nailing a hard one. And yes, speedtrap says he was the fastest Renault engine and yes, he said he could have gone a lot faster.

Now for someone, who has so far abstained from PR talk, I can't really connect the "not even close to the limit" and his 130R speedtrap thing. Then again, if you get into a current F1 car for the first time and you do that to 130R ..... Good grief, is this some kind of second coming?

From what I've been told, after he returned to the pits from the engine thingy at the end, the first thing he talked about to anyone, was car performance to the engineers. Not a word about the engine. (source: F1 phtographer Frits van Eldik in a post on FB). Said source was also impressed about how he took the car of the racing line, once the issue became apparent.

Now I will admit I suffer from Verstappen-Mania, even though I don't really feel any nasty side-effects. As could be expected, it's those around you who suffer the most. Me? I am just happy anytime someone named Verstappen gets in a racing car. As was written by Marcus Simmons on autosport.com:
Quote:
"Max Verstappen is the most exciting driver to come along in a generation. That doesn't mean to say he's the best - yet. Just that whenever he drives, there's electricity in the air."
And I agree completely!

Now, am I going mad again or is he really that impressive? Anyone?
Old 3 Oct 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3459851)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The next Buemi or the next Ricciardo? Who the hell knows.

Red Bull have more good young drivers than they know what to do with. Some of them end up on the F1 scrapheap. Some of them will progress onto big things.

Oh - and has anyone seen this:-
http://sniffpetrol.com/2014/08/26/te...young-drivers/
Old 3 Oct 2014, 15:47 (Ref:3459854)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Way, way too soon to pass any kind of sensible judgment yet........
Old 3 Oct 2014, 16:14 (Ref:3459859)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Good debut.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3459861)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
children competing in the sport their parent competed in is always a big deal. not saying it should be but it is for me. for several reasons i find these story lines very engaging to follow.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3459865)   #6
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well there is certainly no doubt young Max is quick and no doubt he can drive a Formula One car very well indeed if this morning was anything to go by.

The only issue I have is whether the FIA should be allowing someone so young to drive a Formula One car.

I'm sorry, I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Just because somebody, a prodigy, CAN do something isn't a reason to necessarily allow them to do it, especially something as dangerous as driving a Formula One car.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of 16 and 17 year olds who can fly an aeroplane very well indeed. I don't see that as a reason why they should be allowed to fly a 747 into Heathrow.

Anyway, I accept the argument appears to be lost so good luck to him, I hope he's lucky as well as quick.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3459896)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
children competing in the sport their parent competed in is always a big deal.
Especially when you saw their parent drive early in their career....its makes you realise how old you are...
Old 3 Oct 2014, 18:42 (Ref:3459905)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Especially when you saw their parent drive early in their career....its makes you realise how old you are...
if you can still remember it then you're doing ok.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3459914)   #9
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
We've gone through so many "The Next Senna's" that my default position with this "The Next Senna" is that he's going to flatter to deceive.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 19:57 (Ref:3459933)   #10
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame that he had a failure but at least it was at the end of the session. In terms of his age, personally I think a superlicence should be treated like a car licence and have a minimum age, say 18.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3459972)   #11
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If a driver qualifies for a F1 superlicence on the grounds of experience, speed and not-doing-stupid-things, I really don't see why it should be withheld on the grounds of the date on his birth certificate.

I remain to be totally sold on Max Verstappen, but he seems to have started off very well this morning.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 21:47 (Ref:3459980)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's not that a minimum age should be levied but I would have a more fundamental question to pose - that if an adolescent can succeed in these cars, then are these cars too easy to drive?
Old 3 Oct 2014, 22:38 (Ref:3459996)   #13
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It's not that a minimum age should be levied but I would have a more fundamental question to pose - that if an adolescent can succeed in these cars, then are these cars too easy to drive?
If the level of skill required has reduced considerably then I would say yes. If Max is some sort of child prodigy then perhaps not.

How will we know? Time I guess.
Old 4 Oct 2014, 01:58 (Ref:3460046)   #14
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

are F1 cars that hard to drive at all? which includes 1950, 60, 70 and 80's era as well.
Old 4 Oct 2014, 04:13 (Ref:3460070)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Grand parent I suspect Armco, Brabham ...... ...
Old 4 Oct 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3460216)   #16
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
are F1 cars that hard to drive at all? which includes 1950, 60, 70 and 80's era as well.
Overpowered, death traps definitely require a different order of driver to win in.

These cars do exert a tremendous G-force. That's not easy to handle per say but with all the gimmicks the question still needs to be asked.
Old 4 Oct 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3460366)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Try it !