Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Mar 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3718525)   #176
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
wasnt particularily aiming at you, more the gt3 fanbois who like to come and talk crap about supercars.
Who was the poster who brought up GT3 in a V8SC street race thread?
Old 14 Mar 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3718529)   #177
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Who was the poster who brought up GT3 in a V8SC street race thread?
well actually seeing how Gt3 compete at Supercar street races i guess there is a link.

3 of 5 aust Gt championship events are street races, all 3 have supercars on the card

The series seems to gain a benefit from street races. mind twisted on that one.

hopefully we get to watch them at newcastle next year, would be great to be able to watch the last round of the series on tv
Old 14 Mar 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3718532)   #178
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
well actually seeing how Gt3 compete at Supercar street races i guess there is a link.
What is the link or relevance to Newcastle?
Old 14 Mar 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3718641)   #179
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
What is the link or relevance to Newcastle?
changed your question, but the answer is still there in the post
Old 14 Mar 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3718650)   #180
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How many stand alone races have the GT3 community tried to get up in Australia?

What the hell does this have to do with the Newcastle race? I've been following this thread with interest regarding the the two sides arguing over the event. Personally I'm all for it I think it's a great idea, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Thanks to you everyone is arguing about Supercar va GT which isn't what this thread is about. Way to derail a good thread.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 21:37 (Ref:3718651)   #181
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah we need a +dicksize thread so the rest of us can talk about racing I love Newcastle town and I had breakfast down on the waterfront 2 weeks ago. Supercars race fits the plan down there and I think it will showcase Newcastle beautifully.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Mar 2017, 22:13 (Ref:3718659)   #182
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
What the hell does this have to do with the Newcastle race? I've been following this thread with interest regarding the the two sides arguing over the event. Personally I'm all for it I think it's a great idea, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Thanks to you everyone is arguing about Supercar va GT which isn't what this thread is about. Way to derail a good thread.
Its not a derail at all.

It is a valid question.

When you read thru the thread and most of the postings relate to complaining how crap Supercar is at running events, how nobody seems to want the event there, how nobody seems to want to go to these events, how these events lose money, how they are crap spectator venues, how the government shouldn't be investing in motorsport... blah blah blah..,. an alternative supplier of a racing category, one with the capacity to hold its own stand alone events can be put up as a different opportunity.

And, it appears there is none.

Lots of woulda/coulda/shoulda but no progress.

Supercar is out there doing it, nobody else is.
Write what you like constructively about what isn't working as well as you might like, but the continued slagging is more than tiresome..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Mar 2017, 04:46 (Ref:3718702)   #183
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
more the gt3 fanbois who like to come and talk crap about supercars.
Just because someone might criticise Supercars doesn't make them a GT3 'fanboi'.

I've personally got things i don't like about both
Old 15 Mar 2017, 08:51 (Ref:3718735)   #184
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the risk of being accused of slagging Supercars, Newcastle Council has requested "significant changes" to the circuit and has taken their requests to the State government:
Council wants changes to Newcastle circuit
Old 15 Mar 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3718743)   #185
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never see GT3 cause trouble like that hey Mayhem
Old 15 Mar 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3718751)   #186
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
how the government shouldn't be investing in motorsport... blah blah blah..,.
The government isn't investing in motorsport in this case, it's putting money into a Supercars show that lasts for three days out of 365
Old 15 Mar 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3718760)   #187
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
At the risk of being accused of slagging Supercars, Newcastle Council has requested "significant changes" to the circuit and has taken their requests to the State government:
Council wants changes to Newcastle circuit
Same layout to remain
http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/supercars-confirms-unchanged-newcastle-layout/
Old 15 Mar 2017, 10:28 (Ref:3718764)   #188
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2244 View Post
Is it really a good idea to go against a council's wishes, for the sake of a long-term relationship with the council and the series?
Old 15 Mar 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3718766)   #189
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love how the Supercars website reports on a media release by Supercars as news. That's great. #FakeNews
Old 15 Mar 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3718770)   #190
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=peckstar;3718523]so let me get this right, yout think support categories should be free? Dont get that at all. support categories get a massive benefit by being at a supercars event.( audience) They should contribute to the costs of the event. If they want a cheap event they are welcome to do it themself. except that would cost and they would get no crowd or tv coverage.

and yes we get it all on fox, its great, best coverage the series has ever had[/QUOTe

No I don't think supports should get a free kick,but be reasonable to the cost that you charge them.
If , like NASCAR, that is the only cars that run, then thats all the punters you would get, that particular fan base.
If you where a smart business, and held a three/four day event, then you would want supports that punters like to see.
For Instance:
Little Aussie
Utes
Porsche
Dunlop/super 2

and give them race time

One of the big things that turns ppl off, is 3 days of supposed thunder, when all you get is a day . Take out crap practice and qualifying.
Like Practice, besides a brand new track(last track built inn 1999), how many times do you have to drive around the same circuit you have raced on for the past 20 years?
Qualifying, why not he is fastest first up gets the pole award, oh hang on, we can more out of this, lets run qualifying for another race.

Why not just get out there and race

Yes they have to pay a fee to be a part of the circus,
but and a BIG BUT if you want bums on seats, then put on a show , that the punters will come and see.
And not charge a arm and a leg, considering, Tax payers fund it

As a volunteer marshall for the last 18 years, mate I have seen crowd drops, boring 90 min practice , dwindling grid numbers etc ect

All because , one group decides on to dictate

I love Motorsport, but in Aust , it;s hemorrhaging, and the gurus just cant see it
Old 16 Mar 2017, 02:11 (Ref:3718928)   #191
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fomoco, even for you that is just a ridiculous ramble.

Making an argument that ticket prices should be lower because Supercars is taxpayer funded is so wrong it isn't funny.

Supercars is a profitable business in its own right.

It asks for Government investment in certain events where the belief is that the community should benefit from that investment - this happens in almost all sporting codes, the arts and business. Get over it.

From a certain point of view, the Government actually has a responsibility to invest in events & tourism for the benefit.

But Supercars doesn't take billions in handouts, like say the mining industry...
Old 16 Mar 2017, 02:48 (Ref:3718931)   #192
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its not a derail at all.

Supercar is out there doing it, nobody else is.
Write what you like constructively about what isn't working as well as you might like, but the continued slagging is more than tiresome..
You speak of Supercars like the are a charity.

They're the top dogs, the premier category in Australian motorsport, they make the big bucks. Shockingly this comes with a lot of responsibility and criticism. GT3 are so small in comparison, I'm shocked you'd willing compare the two - of course one does more than the other, one also has a "massive" tv deal and everything that comes with it.

Heavy lies the crown. If it all gets a bit much, too many haters, too much stress, too much responsibility, they can always sell....
Old 16 Mar 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3719072)   #193
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Is it really a good idea to go against a council's wishes, for the sake of a long-term relationship with the council and the series?
When it's a safety issue, absolutely.

From google maps/streetview, they'd be absolutely flying through the Shortland Espenlade section with zero places for emergency vehicles to be placed. Would it look awesome? Absolutely, but safety needs to take precedence in this instance.

Based on commenters in the speedcafe article that are working on the track, the only few protesters are older folk who are super resistant to change, and the younger demographic is super into the event happening.
Old 16 Mar 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3719183)   #194
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

From google maps/streetview, they'd be absolutely flying through the Shortland Espenlade section with zero places for emergency vehicles to be placed. Would it look awesome? Absolutely, but safety needs to take precedence in this instance.

Based on commenters in the speedcafe article that are working on the track, the only few protesters are older folk who are super resistant to change, and the younger demographic is super into the event happening.
Exactly matt I'm one of the supporters in that demographic 80% of us east Enders are actually in favour of the event. Whilst I agree it would have been cool to go through the esplanade it's far too dangerous as there would hypothetically be minimal access for emergency and safety vehicles. This older people are by far the most change resistant people I have encountered in my life
Old 16 Mar 2017, 21:54 (Ref:3719199)   #195
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

The council would be aware of safety or potential safety issues in their own local jurisdiction - would they not?

Forgive me if I dont put to much weight in "from google maps it appears" and "based on comments from speedcafe"
Old 16 Mar 2017, 22:00 (Ref:3719200)   #196
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
The council would be aware of safety or potential safety issues in their own local jurisdiction - would they not?

Forgive me if I dont put to much weight in "from google maps it appears" and "based on comments from speedcafe"
would they? Is saftey around race tracks their area of expertise?
Old 16 Mar 2017, 23:21 (Ref:3719219)   #197
Mixer
Veteran

Councils also are now the kings of corruption and self interest so I view all council movements as potentially suspect these days.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Mar 2017, 01:04 (Ref:3719229)   #198
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Councils also are now the kings of corruption and self interest
Generic sweeping statement there.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 01:08 (Ref:3719231)   #199
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
No more than this quote from you

Quote:
Old 17 Mar 2017, 01:45 (Ref:3719234)   #200
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Backed by facts.

Take your pick almost anywhere in NSW. Maybe start with Selim Mehajer... or Eddie Obied or even Ray Williams if you want to go higher up the tree.

Rampant financial interest and corruption with regards to planning permissions and property zoning, tied with inappropriate financial interest and links to property developers and organised crime.