Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Sep 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1407426)   #1
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brabham BT3/7/11 1.5L formula 1

I posted this in 'another place' as well but can anyone help?

Does anyone have a database of who drove what, and what happened to them? (excluding the Tasman cars)

I know BT3 went to Ian Raby and is now at Donington.

There are several in historic racing with Duncan Dayton, Ean Pugh (BRM-powered), James King and Roy Walzer; and I thought the Willment 1965 car went to John Bridges and was written-off in John Taylor's fatal crash at the Nurburgring but apparently not.

In fact, apart from the well-known types like the Lotus 25/33 and BRMs, I haven't been able to find much generally about the history an chassis numbers of specific 1.5L cars of all types.

Paul M
Old 22 Sep 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1414098)   #2
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the Alan Henry (?) book, Darren Galpin's site, and nosing last weekend:

BT3: no. F1/1/62 : Brabham 1962, to Ian Raby with BRM engine 1963 or 64; hillclimbed? restored, now at Donington
BT7: no. F1/1/63 : works car 1963-4, '65 Baghetti & Hulme; now James King
F1/2/63 : works '63-4, RRC Walker '65 (Bonnier)
BT11: no.F1/1/64 : works '64-5; now Roy Walzer
F1/2/64 : works '64-5 (Gurney); Dave Charlton '66-'68
F1/4/64 : '64 Bonnier, Rindt, Russo, Hap Sharp; '65 Gardner; '66 John Bridges for John Taylor, still unrestored?
F1/5/64 : Bob Anderson, w/o Germany 1965? maybe new chassis same number '66-7, w/o?
F1/6/64 : '64-66 Siffert & RRC Walker (BRM engine); now Ean Pugh?

OldRacingcars.com has 5 BT11a and 8 BT11; that includes 2 with 'Hep' suffixes and 1 with a 'Colt' suffix to the c/n, plus the 5 above.

Was there no BT11 F1/3/64?

If there were 5 BT11a, and 4 of them are now in Oz or NZ, what are all the ones racing in the UK?

Paul M
Old 22 Sep 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1414105)   #3
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul - please see my comment on TNF
Old 11 Mar 2007, 03:18 (Ref:1863464)   #4
piglos
Rookie

piglos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca
OldRacingcars.com has 5 BT11a and 8 BT11; that includes 2 with 'Hep' suffixes and 1 with a 'Colt' suffix to the c/n, plus the 5 above.

Was there no BT11 F1/3/64?

If there were 5 BT11a, and 4 of them are now in Oz or NZ, what are all the ones racing in the UK?
Paul M
Well I think not all of them started life as BT11As. I was very surprised at Phillip Island yesterday, when I checked out the Brabham BT11A owned by Peter Harburg, as I was wondering which one it was.

F1-2-63 the chassis plate said.

Hmm, I thought that was the chassis no. of Bonnier's BT7? Why are historic racing administrators allowing this sort of thing to happen?
Old 11 Mar 2007, 06:27 (Ref:1863486)   #5
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piglos,
Historic Administrators are not allowing anything untoward to happen.
All is O.K. Historic administration has a full file on all cars , the car you refer to is in Brabham records and other places actually IC-5-64 , Sir Jack's Tasman car , and the only 2.5 Brabham to escape after a Tasman Series , this car started in the first rounds of the 3.0 litre F1 Championship in Sth Africa and then stayed there for some years .
This car has since the 1960's carried the plate F1-2-63 , which was also a Factory plate for the ex works / Rob Walker car.

Probably a conveniece issue relating to customs carnets in Europe and crossing of borders .

The provenence of the car in question was fully checked by Doug Nye in the 1980's prior to purchase by the previous owner and no issues arose.

Bryan Miller.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 09:41 (Ref:1863523)   #6
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bryan's dead right. The car's fine.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1863563)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You can understand piglos confusion, though, can't you? Should I put this in the chassis forum?
Old 11 Mar 2007, 17:30 (Ref:1863705)   #8
piglos
Rookie

piglos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3016821)   #9
Paul Carr
Rookie

Canada
Canada. Very far Nth
Paul Carr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
brabham BT11.

My name is Paul Carr.
Recent joined forum reading lots of interesting posts mainly of things that interest me or I was involved with.
Non more than the BT11 debate. I have been a race mech all my working life and as a young man remember being involved with a couplof cars that may have been BT11s. I can remember working on a ex David Hepworth car ran for a Blackburn motor trader called John Wallwork we took it to the Isle of man. A traco Buick,this car was sold to a chap in liverpool called ? Chapman.
Then low and behold another Hepwoth Traco Buick turned up which we quickly converted to race in the F5000 seies for John Brannigan. we added extra fuel tanks, front and rear wings and rear oil coolers. All the new parts were made by Phil Scragg Eng in Bollington. I think we entered it for a gold cup meeting at Oulton and took it to Aintree a couple of times. John then bought a Lola T142 and sold the Brabham shipped out to Costa Rica. That must have been 1969 to 71 period.
Then back in the mid 90s while working out in Florida in the Hooters series I get a call from Yanoshik who had just bought the car less engine, he was bringing it back to the USA.
I am really not sure what these cars were could they have been BT11 may be they might account for any gaps in the history.
Paul
Old 25 Jan 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3016885)   #10
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

You've got a good memory Paul. John Wallwork's car was an ex-Hepworth car which Wallwork ran in 1972 and 1973 before selling it to Malcolm Chapman in Southport. Allan Smith would have been the other half of your team.

The other car was a rather mysterious Hepworth spare that Hepworth sold to Brannigan in 1973. As you said, the car had no wings when you acquired it so can't have been a car Hepworth had used recently. Brannigan was involved in an accident on the M1 on the way to Silverstone and had to abandon the project. It was in storage in Coata Rica until 1991 when it was advertised in the US and Steve Yanoshik moved quickest.

Do you have any photos of these two cars in your scrapbooks? It would be really useful to establish the differences between the two cars. One had been built for Hepworth with a short chassis but the other may well have been an ex-F1 frame.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 18:03 (Ref:3016938)   #11
Paul Carr
Rookie

Canada
Canada. Very far Nth
Its all coming back to me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown View Post
You've got a good memory Paul. John Wallwork's car was an ex-Hepworth car which Wallwork ran in 1972 and 1973 before selling it to Malcolm Chapman in Southport. Allan Smith would have been the other half of your team.

The other car was a rather mysterious Hepworth spare that Hepworth sold to Brannigan in 1973. As you said, the car had no wings when you acquired it so can't have been a car Hepworth had used recently. Brannigan was involved in an accident on the M1 on the way to Silverstone and had to abandon the project. It was in storage in Coata Rica until 1991 when it was advertised in the US and Steve Yanoshik moved quickest.

Do you have any photos of these two cars in your scrapbooks? It would be really useful to establish the differences between the two cars. One had been built for Hepworth with a short chassis but the other may well have been an ex-F1 frame.
Allen not sure about my memory but nothing wrong with yours. Your right would be around 72ish. I was in that accident towing the car to a meet at Silverstone. I was working for John Brannigan at the time. We had a blow out at 75mph bounced off a transit van and rolled into a ditch in his 3.8 Jaguar John, his then girl friend, another mech and me. We had to climb out of the sun roof to escape. Jag was a write off but the race car stayed upright on a four wheel trailer.
I don't have any photos but I am dam sure Branny will. Theres a young man by the name of jonnyrocks (jonothan renn) writing a book about Branny (that will be a very interesting read) maybe he could find out for you he has a meeting with him soon. I seem to remember Branny's car originaly ex John Love as an interesries car Hepworth bought as a spare. I went down to see Ron T at Brabham and he gave use a load of spares for the car.
JB owned a company called Branspeed at that time he owned loads of interesting stuff many of the mock up cars from the film Grand Prix. As I said before Phil Scragg did all our machine and fab work.
Hope that might help you. Paul

Last edited by John Turner; 30 Jan 2012 at 09:17.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3018244)   #12
Paul Carr
Rookie

Canada
Canada. Very far Nth
Just done some thinking without the aid of Jackie D amazing how clear things look!
The John Brannigan car was in fact ex Dave Charltons car built as a F1 car rejigged and fitted with a Olds/Buick motor as JB got the car from D Hepworth. The Wallwork car was the Guyson sand blaster special which had been shortened in the middle with a seat tank fitted and a raised seat and cut down top panel and the dash hoop rejigged. I don't think this car had any F1 history?.
After the sale of the Wallwork car he bought a McLaren M10b the John Butterworth car I think? which blew itself up big style the following year in I.o.M after him winning the year before in the Brabham. After the M10b came another Brabham called the Pink Panther because of its colour not sure if this was a BT21 or a 23. But later this was sold to another Chapman think he was a Mick Chapman.
Allan Smith was always slightly quicker than Wallwork. Wallworks next race partner was Matt Walker who went on to race a VoLvo 343 V6 with FGA gearbox.
All that thinking I need a JD now!!!!!!!!!