Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Oct 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1434775)   #1
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah... correct me if i'm wrong...

... on the old points system, would the Constructors' Championship look like this?

1st McLaren Mercedes 151pts (10 wins)
2nd Renault 144pts (8 wins)
3rd Ferrari 62pts (1 win)
4th Toyota 46pts
5th Williams BMW 34pts
6th BAR Honda 17pts
7th Red Bull Racing 10pts
8th Sauber Petronas 8pts
9th Jordan Toyota 7pts
10th Minardi 3pts
Old 16 Oct 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1434785)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It might,but does it matter.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 08:03 (Ref:1434789)   #3
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
yeah, irrelvant. rules are rules
Old 16 Oct 2005, 08:08 (Ref:1434796)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We could apply the 1957 rules to WCC?

It wouldn't surprise me that the old system meant McLaren won - it rewards wins more (and seconds) and McLaren were the only team to have a 1-2 (yes I do remember that race!).

However they all knew the points system before the year started.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1434801)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes - you can't retrospectively apply points to results like that because they may not have raced the same way if a different points system was in force
Old 16 Oct 2005, 08:20 (Ref:1434807)   #6
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferarri have had a 1-2 this season! It was a farce (USA) but they did get a 1-2
Old 16 Oct 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1434813)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember that race.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 08:26 (Ref:1434815)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Without going over old ground, it was a race, run to the rules, from which 14 cars retired with technical problems.

A valid 1-2.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1434874)   #9
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
There was no constructors championship in 1957, it only started in 1958.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1434896)   #10
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was a joke
Old 16 Oct 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1434972)   #11
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Yes - you can't retrospectively apply points to results like that because they may not have raced the same way if a different points system was in force
The strategy which Alonso used was perfect. He got quite a good lead, then relaxed a bit and when, when it mattered most he & his team mate earned the points required to with both championships. I am sure that if the points system was the old one, Alonso would have done more effort & win more races.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1434986)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, that's the crux of it.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1435069)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both teams have raced within the points system in place, and planned their races to ensure that they get the job done. With the old points system the tactics would have been more aggressive from Renault, perhaps leading to more failures and driver errors, or perhaps from McLaren? We'll never know, and it doesn't matter.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1435075)   #14
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, that would be different, but still i wish we had the old point system, then we'd get to see even better fights between alonso and kimi!! Still, this was the best season for years, so one's got to be happy with it!!
Old 16 Oct 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1435263)   #15
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree that the older point system was more interesting. The other one was in favour of winners. This system is in favour of reliability. I agree that 8 drivers get ponts though. I also agree that the driver on pole should get an extra point and maybe even the driver effecting the fastest lap.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1435299)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drivers and Teams won the championship with the old system, with less wins than the second before. I don't think the point system is crucial to determine if wins or reliability works best. In the end, as it should be, consistency is the key to a championship.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1435491)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It is intersting to see how things would have worked out, but, as others have said, it doesn't mean anything.

Results are results according to the systems in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore

That sums it up perfectly!