Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 13 May 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1608967)   #26
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes another oil line, no more racing for us tomorrow we had both our races today, it was the second race the oil line gave out

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 13 May 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1608983)   #27
Shawn
Racer

England
East Sussex
Shawn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
on the subject on websites, the BARC site has had the decorators in.
VERY SWISH !
Old 13 May 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1609007)   #28
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kris Waite is OK, if a little bruised. Car is pretty sad though after he went in hard at Coram. Apparently his gear lever broke going through the Bombhole (ouch). Shame really as it was a good race up until then.
Rob (racing 59), just to let you know Jon Mann turned up. He also had a good look at the V8 cars, although the race only produced 10 cars, but they did sound good.
Old 13 May 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1609021)   #29
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
Result for T&R race two is on the MST site, but under the heading "grid race two"
Old 13 May 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1609029)   #30
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit hard to follow (the MST result for R2), but yes I see the results.

Sorry to hear about Kris. Hope he's not feeling too bad. Not a nice place to go off.

I had a txt from Jon while I was swanning it in the local. He said there was good racing in the TRC.

See you all at Lydden
Old 14 May 2006, 00:16 (Ref:1609128)   #31
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few pictures from qualifying are now online.

Pity about the 1st race stoppage, but nice to know the only injury is to a wallet.

The 2nd race was good fun - I watched from the Eses and couldn't believe the way Jason Watkins was throwing the Fiesta through the right hander and still coming out the other side - Richard Brent was almost as wild during their fight for position.

2 battles were only resolved on the final lap - 3rd place went to David Oates over Ray Barrow and penultimate (or last?) place to Alex Ribbens over Alan Cherry in what seemed good clean racing

And if Andy Pipe is reading, your left rear wheel was bouncing badly under braking for the right hander at the Esses - what was the cause ?
Old 14 May 2006, 06:58 (Ref:1609264)   #32
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for postig the pictures Alfa and you are a cruel man with that Avatar of poor old Rob's car. Actually you can see from that as I suspected when following him at Brands that smoke was coming out of the exhausts not dribbling out the rockers!

Tell me people as I am confused here. It says in the rules spoilers of standard dimensions which I took to mean standard for the model. Am I incorrect here because some of those aerodynamic devices would not discrace a 60/70's F1 car! Can I go and put a huge great thing on my car like John Cross's or Kris Waites or that monster on the Tigra. Not trying to stir things up but want a clarification on exactly what is legal before I spend money please. Personally I would prefer the rules to be as I have interpretated them and keep the moths in the wallet but we all want a level playing field.
Old 14 May 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1609297)   #33
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
al, the cars you mention are class A which is pretty much anything goes.

but barc se do realise the regs would benifit from some tidying up in that department, and we will be looking at a simpler clearer set of regs for 2007.

personally im of the opinion that most of these spoilers are doing nothing usefull, mine does but only because weighs a ton and is acting as a lump of ballest.

so the best advise i can give you at the moment Al, is

1 keep you money in you pocket, or spend it somewhere that its really going to be worthwhile

2 pm rod or myself or contact andy ratcliffe with what you think the regs should say and we will take that into account for next year.

3 just get out there!

Old 14 May 2006, 08:35 (Ref:1609300)   #34
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
[QUOTE=Alfaholic]A few pictures from qualifying are now online.

QUOTE]

some nice pics alfa, i suspect you might find that sales of pics are slowing up, i now have so many pics of my car i dont buy them anymore unless its a 2 or 3 car dice for a corner as single car on track pics could almost be static.

its not a critism by the way and i realise the aim is to get a pic of everyone.

Old 14 May 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1609313)   #35
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thats is fair enough if it is just Class A Graham but that bit must have gone over my head in which case I appologise.

Actually I'm planning to get back out, at Coombe. I am also trying to buy a 90's model Z/28 rear spoiler at the moment as but it ain't easy as a lot of US companies just don't want to ship. At least that is (a) Big enough to possibly be useful and (b) will fit with the spirit of the regulations as I read them and (c) Legal for Classic Thunder which has a similiar worded rule on the subject.

Again I stress no intentional wave making here just want clarification that's all, I am not fussed either way as long as we all know so we can all sing from the same hymn sheet.

As a matter of interest on the subject of these rear spoilers especially the more high top radical ones and I don't really know much on the subject I admit, but it occured to me could such a device on a saloon car with a lot more body roll than say a low slung GT, where as providing a lot of down force at high speed actually have an irratic unbalancing effect on the car in slower corners or cross winds that may just catch the driver out.
Old 14 May 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1609361)   #36
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
sounds like your spoiler will be just fine Al

Old 14 May 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1609365)   #37
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman

As a matter of interest on the subject of these rear spoilers especially the more high top radical ones and I don't really know much on the subject I admit, but it occured to me could such a device on a saloon car with a lot more body roll than say a low slung GT, where as providing a lot of down force at high speed actually have an irratic unbalancing effect on the car in slower corners or cross winds that may just catch the driver out.
i quite agree, i suspect that for them to work well in cornering on a saloon car you would need massive endplates to stop the air falling off the ends, if you look at the current crop of WRC spoilers they have lots of vertical struts and my guess is that they are to add some sideways stability, without it you have a spolier that wont help in the corners and will just slow you down on the straights

Old 14 May 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1609471)   #38
Paceracing
Racer

Paceracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
i quite agree, i suspect that for them to work well in cornering on a saloon car you would need massive endplates to stop the air falling off the ends, if you look at the current crop of WRC spoilers they have lots of vertical struts and my guess is that they are to add some sideways stability, without it you have a spolier that wont help in the corners and will just slow you down on the straights

Graham, you're right about the endplates, gurney flaps also help increase downforce. The vertical struts are rather odd looking on WRC cars. Maybe they also clean the airflow coming off the back of the car and reduce drag?? F1 cars would't necessarilly need them beacuse obviously they are more aero efficient, where the idea is more towards spoiling airflow for following cars and prevent them overtaking.

Jas.
Old 14 May 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1609623)   #39
tallguy_2
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
tallguy_2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
spoilers

well al, after spectating and looking at the cars at snetterton we think that cars like the focus and the tigra add to the ever increasing variety of the series, if you cant beat em join em!
Old 14 May 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1609666)   #40
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I am not saying I do not want to see them out there of course I do, I just want to see them prepared to the regulations as written or publish a clarification/amendment which as Graham has explained is being looked at. We don't want flouting of the rules to force rule changes do we as I have seen that happen when I ran a club and it can get out of hand to the detriment of the championship especially something so visable as this.

Here is the regulation what do you make of it am I reading it wrong or what?:

5.6.1 (h) Spoilers of standard dimensions and air dams are permitted below the level of the road wheel centres providing they do not protude beyond the original coachwork in plan view, including bumper, grill etc.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 14 May 2006 at 16:51.
Old 14 May 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1609725)   #41
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
Al you have a pm

Old 14 May 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1609738)   #42
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent day - pity about the Sierra, and the M11 !!!
13 pages of photos now available on www.adrenalinphotography.com
According to the MST web site, I'm now classified as a finisher in race 1, but it seems Alex Ribbens and David Coleman are still Not Classified despite best efforts with CoC. ( Must make sure Phil Wood gives me some points !)

ALFAHOLIC - I had a great time with Alex in both races,and we both kept our own paint all day. 2nd race only resolved when I got a box full of neutrals before the end - seems to be the clutch though, will have a new clutch before Coombe.

Old 14 May 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1609875)   #43
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham - I'm not trying to sell the pictures, they're just taken for my own enjoyment and put on Fotopic for fun as it's free. (however click the "full size" button and then right click "save as.." if you want the picture for PERSONAL use - bear in mind the various threads on circuit copyright and media rights on the photography forum here on Ten-Tenths). I would take group shots, but these mainly occur in the races and I'd rather watch you lot dice than snap away .

Anybody know why the John Cross car was fairly slow? I'd have thought that the long straits of Snetterton would have been ideal for a V8 - does it have anything to do with him going to 2 exhausts instead of the previous 4?

Keep up the good work guys - some of us like to se a wide variety of machinery competing in a single race, and this seies has some of the most diverse.
Old 14 May 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1609885)   #44
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic
Graham - I'm not trying to sell the pictures, they're just taken for my own enjoyment and put on Fotopic for fun as it's free.
apologies, no offense intended, i was making a generalisation, but arguably made it too general

Old 14 May 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1609894)   #45
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
I know John broke a driveshaft in the first race. He did say that the locked diff made the car very twitchy through the corners, but it was also his first time at Snetterton!
Old 14 May 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1609920)   #46
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks for the PM Graham. Keep the photos coming Alphaholic I love to view them it enhances the whole experience especially when you cannot make the meet.

Has the Focus now only got 2 exhausts? Broke a drive shaft, It is'nt still front wheel drive is it surely? He needs to fit a Chevy in that thing, I know a bloke who used to drag race a Ford Maverick and he stopped running a Ford V8 as too troublesome and expensive. Had to be a Chevy.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 14 May 2006 at 22:18.
Old 15 May 2006, 05:18 (Ref:1610159)   #47
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the serious drag race boys ran Keith Black hemi's!

It's RWD Al, but running a locked spool is not a good idea at Snetterton, or anywhere other than a shale oval in my opinion!

Rob.
Old 15 May 2006, 07:14 (Ref:1610198)   #48
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman

Has the Focus now only got 2 exhausts? Broke a drive shaft, It is'nt still front wheel drive is it surely? He needs to fit a Chevy in that thing, I know a bloke who used to drag race a Ford Maverick and he stopped running a Ford V8 as too troublesome and expensive. Had to be a Chevy.
its still got 4 exhausts, and its definatly rwd only, i think the engine is one of the few bits john hasn't had an issue with, personally i think from what i've seen of it one of johns problems with the car is his diff has way too much lock in it, it back end wont go smoothly round a corner it corners like hes driving around a 50pence piece, less lock will give the drive shafts an easier time too

Old 15 May 2006, 07:19 (Ref:1610202)   #49
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
I know John broke a driveshaft in the first race. He did say that the locked diff made the car very twitchy through the corners, but it was also his first time at Snetterton!

i didn't realise its was actually locked, so i'm even more sure now that is a huge part of the cars problem

Old 15 May 2006, 07:29 (Ref:1610215)   #50
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I always thought a fully locked diff promotes understeer but the idea is to kick the rear end out under power. Funny enough on the Penske IROC car I am renovating they ran a fully locked spool on road circuits and a slipper on the ovals apparently because of wheel stagger a slipper has to be run. I have been tempted to try a spool but have always stayed with the factory slippers which seem to deliver. What he needs (if he does not have it already) is what is in the Penske car (and as raced as a chevrolet!) a fully prepared Ford 8" with Detroit locker and floating hubs, they are about. Or even better what was used in the later IROC racers (I believe from memory), a Strange Industries quick change rear end.