Sebastian Vettel 8 10.26%
Rubens Barrichello 12 15.38%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Aug 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2528403)   #1
AshMcD
Rookie

AshMcD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who do you want to win the WDC?

(Are at least who do you want to win who CAN)

So with things the way they are it now seems highly unlikely anyone outside of Brawn or Red Bull will win the WDC. Which personally puts me in a bit of a predicament!

I honestly can't think of another driver on the grid I would put in my top four favourites than, Button, Barrichello, Vettel or Webber. Each of them seem genuinely nice, they're normally willing to have a chat with Martin on the grid and never seem as though they'd rather be doing ANYTHING else other than talking directly to fans.

Now, Webber is my favourite, I have always enjoyed watching him and he has never struck me as anything other than an honest, decent guy. Button has matured a lot in recent years, like Webber has come up through the ranks, served his time and is now starting to get the rewards he deserves. Vettel, my favourite recent addition to the grid, treats his cars like women and who can argue with that .

Barichello... I'm not sure, deep down I think I want him to win but then I look back earlier in the season and him *****ing about the team or the race not going how he wanted it too and such. It would be nice after everything he's put in over the years to get his rewards, but his little Wah wah wah sessions earlier in the season have not done him any favours.

So, for me on balance. I'm going to go for Mark Webber!

I want hoping to add a poll but I don't seem to be able, Could one of the mods possibly help me out on this? .

Ash
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2528477)   #2
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see a close finish with 2-3 drivers still with a chance at the final grand prix.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2528480)   #3
stark
Rookie

stark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like Jenson to find his mojo and take the championship. It'd be great for him and more importantly, Brawn GP. Ultimately I want Brawn to win both championships so they have security for the future.

Thats nothing against Red Bull or their drivers, Vettel is a future champ no doubt, but he'll win plenty in the future and Webber is a great guy and also deserves a championship, but the security of BGP is the bigger want for me.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2528482)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I like all of the protagonists but ideally I'd like Button to win.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2528485)   #5
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be a dream for Mark to win it but I think Jenson deserves it more so far this year
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2528494)   #6
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button, ideally. From this seasons performances so far, I think he deserves it the most.

But I'd be happy to see any of the three contenders win - Vettel will probably have more opportunities in the future than Barrichello or Webber.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2528517)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably Button for me as I've been sure all these bad years he is actually a decent driver and that would prove it.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2528527)   #8
stark
Rookie

stark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Probably Button for me as I've been sure all these bad years he is actually a decent driver and that would prove it.
I think despite his efforts this year, if he doesn't win it unfortunately there will be a negative attitude towards him saying "we told you he was useless" instead of praising his achievements.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2528541)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have an outspoken opinion about who should be winning the title. I'd be happy if Vettel wins it, although it would be special to have Brawn winning it. What a shame that would be for Honda.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2528543)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark View Post
I think despite his efforts this year, if he doesn't win it unfortunately there will be a negative attitude towards him saying "we told you he was useless" instead of praising his achievements.
Yeah. Plus there will be the inevitable suggestions that "he's not really that good" even if he does win

He's the first driver in a whilst (since Mika?) to have taken a while to win the title, a more traditional career build-up. Alonso, Kimi and Lewis were all quite young and relatively inexperienced when they won it. I think if Jenson wins, he'll be the driver that's taken the 2nd most races before winning the championship (behind Mansell)
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2528544)   #11
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the sentimental favourite for me is Rubinho as I don't think he'll be in a better position again. However I think Jenson has more chance to win it.

As an Australian I really want Mark to do well but I don't think this year is RBR's year.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2528559)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My dream would probably be Webber to win the drivers' and Brawn the constructors. Mark's tended to be rated very highly by some on this forum, msotly the Australians who were undoubtedly desperate to have one of their own at the top of the sport. I've always had my doubts, but his driving has been very impressive this season, especially considering his difficult winter. I'd rate Vettel as the better driver, but he'll have other chances to win (realistically, none of the other three are likely to) and will surely learn a lot from the battle.

Button has done well with what's in front of him, but his relative weakness at making the best of a bad car has become more apparent in recent races. Brawn themselves have done a great job, really worked hard under difficult circumstances last winter and made full use of the car, so they deserve at least one title.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2528590)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I suppose that it's easy to forget the earlier races,6 wins in 7 would probably have had it sown up pre-03.

Button deserves a championship and is still capable of winning this one.Also,when the car has been bad it's been bad for both drivers.In Valencia Button had a fast car,but a poor grid position.Something he needs to work on.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2528592)   #14
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello, because he's the only one who'd have the gumption to come across the pond and have a crack at some races. Plus he's Rubens.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2528639)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
In order of preference I'd have to say
1) Button: Spent many years in the wilderness, was becoming a forgotten man. Suddenly this year everyone's sat up and taken notice (at the beginning of the year anyway). He appears to be a nic chap, always happy to talk to interviewers 9and the public from what I've heard), and the fact that he's prepared to push himself personally in physical competitions shows he's not just a single-minded motor-racer.
2) Webber: Again, has been a 'nearly man' and always seems to suffer from terrible bad luck. As a person (from what I've seen publicly anyway) he appears to be a nice bloke, always happy to chat, and the money he has personally raised shows how un-selfish he must be.
3) Vettel: He's young and enthusiastic, and appears to genuinely enjoy himself doing what he does for a living. I'm sure that, unlike the two I've listed above, if he's not WDC this year, he'll have plenty more opportunities in the future.
4) Barrichello: I've always liked this little imp, but his childish outbursts this year ahve tarnished my feelings for him unfortunately. It would have been nice, as I'm sure that this season would be his last chance, but I'd prefer it to go to any of the other three above instead.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2528807)   #16
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rubens, hes always the bridesmaid and it would be awesome to see him claw back the points deficit over the remaining races.

its a distant dream and it'll more than likely be button (who will take the bit between his teeth after being trounced by rubi in valencia
Old 27 Aug 2009, 00:09 (Ref:2528917)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I would like to see Jenson or Ruben's win this one...
Old 27 Aug 2009, 00:45 (Ref:2528928)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not voting just yet. I like them all.

Rubens' drive in Valencia has erased memories of his childish tantrums earlier in the year.

I've always liked Jenson, but right now I'm just wondering how complete a driver he is.

Ditto for liking Mark, and I have this feeling that this might be his first and last shot at it.

Vettel? Not sure I like him quite as much as I did earlier in the year, but he's still a great guy and will have plenty more chances. Think I'll count him out for this year.

So I'm down to three. More thought required...
Old 27 Aug 2009, 00:57 (Ref:2528934)   #19
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
button was sensational early in the season. vettel has probably had equally as many sensational drives, but lower lows (so to speak), and mark has had fewer outstanding races than either of them, but has consistently performed.

So i will be happy to see any of these three win the title, as i think they will be worthy winners. rubens i feel has been good, but not on the level of performance of the other 3, and i dont feel he will have enough margin over jenson in the same car to get close.

And with the current deficit, i think it will require something brilliant from either of the RBR drivers to take the title, and the required brilliance will warrant the WDC in worthy hands.

it's biased, but i am really hoping mark does something special and takes it in a close one. second choice would be vettel, and button third. purely for the spectacle in the coming races that will bring.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 02:42 (Ref:2528957)   #20
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber For WDC of course.

A totally logical user name, as the title bid was always on since the failed attempt to move into top equipment at Williams.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2529205)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have liked to see Ferrari and TGF as champions, but for now I'll go for Vettel
Old 27 Aug 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2529270)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Jenson this year, then Sebastian every year after that
Old 28 Aug 2009, 23:26 (Ref:2530171)   #23
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Naturally, I'd like Webber to win it but, having said that, it is great to see the other 2 "much maligned" drivers Button and Rubens in with a shot so any one of the 3 is a good result. Vettel will no doubt get plenty more chances and he has the talent so maybe he can wait a year ...

Who WILL win? 18 or 19 points is a big lead still with only 5 or 6 races to go so its hard to see Jenson losing from here. RBR needed to make a much better fist of Valencia and had a terrible weekend - may have been their last real chance. Also with McLaren (and Ferrari to a lesser extent) getting their act together, race wins are now much harder so for Rubens or Webber to win they need to gain an average 3 points per race on Button and Vettel needs 4 ... just can't see that happening.

I should also add that a guy who wins 6 races to the others 1 or 2 also DESERVES the title much more.
Old 28 Aug 2009, 23:57 (Ref:2530178)   #24
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the years he suffered with a poor Honda, JB deserves the title. Actually, Webber has had worse cars than Jense. In 04 05 and 06 the Honda was at least decent. Not a race winner but decent. (ok one race that was more driver than car). I think Webber is very talented but I dont like his racing tactics, that lost him my vote. I blame RB for his time at Ferrari, I dont feel sorry for him. He spent his best years playing 2nd fiddle. I dont believe he was a match for MS even on an even playing field but still he chose to stay #2. Vettel is has hyped as Kimi was when he came in. The old guy, his teammate is ahead of him now so I am yet to be convinced.
Old 29 Aug 2009, 01:36 (Ref:2530196)   #25
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I'd be happy to see any of those drivers win but I have to say my favourite would be Webber, it would be awesome if he was WDC in 2009.

That said though if Button was to win that would be very well deserved so I'd still be very happy for him.

Ditto Rubens even if he has been a bit outspoken this year, I've been a Rubens fan for many years now so if he won I would be rapt.

I just hope it comes down to the last race and the four drivers have a chance at winning it, that would be the icing on the cake for 2009.