Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jul 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2512704)   #51
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Half way through the BBC NEWS AT 6 O'CLOCK this evening, the news reader said, I quote, "It's now about exactly quarter past six... ish." At least he had the good grace to look a bit sheepish about it, but I'm not sure its any excuse!

And this just a month just after it was reported....

It could have been "coddies", "chengguan", "slumdog" or even "fundoo". "Jai Ho!" would have been fun. Even "noob" wouldn't have been that bad. But when a group of US wordsmiths in Texas claimed today that the millionth word in the English language was "Web 2.0", there must have been collective sigh of disappointment among those lexicographers who hadn't already declared the idea preposterous.

The Global Language Monitor (GLM), based in Austin, calculated that a neologism is created on average every 98 minutes and that "Web 2.0", a term for the next generation of internet applications, should be formally crowned the millionth word.

I can only assume that American English is much more varied and "fruity" than Standard English as the Oxford English Dictionary still lists less than 700,000 words.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2512725)   #52
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie View Post
One of the phrases used commonly in Wales is "I'll be there now in a minute" how can someone be here now but in a minute - just has never made sense to me!
Sorry Elspeth; Now is a common Welsh sound like "innit". With the deflex Welsh sound of the "now" it means, wont be a mo; hence, "in a minute"
Old 31 Jul 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2512726)   #53
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds crap though; less you live in Abervan....
Old 31 Jul 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2512727)   #54
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Seguramente su conseguido para pararse.
Sus todos los b******s !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Jul 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2512736)   #55
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Im tempted to reply with tongue in cheek... hows your bbqs going?? Red hot?? All ok??
Old 31 Jul 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2512762)   #56
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
When USF1 arrive on the scene will they say fo' sho'?
Old 31 Jul 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2512783)   #57
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Im tempted to reply with tongue in cheek... hows your bbqs going?? Red hot?? All ok??
Dave the fire stopped about half a mile away Hay dios
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Jul 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2512790)   #58
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now you have stopped racing gordon do you drive the anglebox on the road ??? coz you seem to get from spain to blighty damn quick !!!!!!!! lol
Old 1 Aug 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2512884)   #59
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
More likely to be saying: 'Actually,we're not really sure.'
Old 1 Aug 2009, 01:13 (Ref:2512890)   #60
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post

I think they will say holy toledo... what have we done..
Old 31 Aug 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2532002)   #61
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I thought I'd bump this thread back up the charts because I came across this interesting explanation by Ed Gorman in his blog in The Times:
Quote:
On the subject of where "for sure" comes from, my colleague Joe Saward had the best explanation. He believes it goes back to the era when there were many French drivers in Formula One and he reckons Jacques Lafitte may have unwittingly started it by using the French phrase "bien sur" (of course, naturally, yes etc) during interviews which then got picked up and Anglicised by the English speakers. And so it got handed down to the likes of Lewis, Jenson and Felipe. (Stefano Domenicali is also a big "for sure" man, I noticed during an interview with him this morning). Anyway, for the record, in the official transcript of the FIA presser on Thursday, Sebastian Vettel is recorded as having used "for sure" no less than five times, Sebastien Buemi used it three times and Romain Grosjean got in the on the act once.
Another one to look out for is that Lewis uses "fantastic job" remarkably often, but was completely unaware of it until it was pointed out to him.

This chart hasn't been updated yet post-Spa, but is worth a look.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2532063)   #62
Roths
Rookie

Roths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It must me highly contagious. The force India guys have been there 5 mins and low and behold i saw my first Vijay Mallya "for sure" yesterday

I had to cringe