Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Feb 2001, 08:56 (Ref:67149)   #1
SparX
Rookie

SparX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So this is murrys last season.
17 grand prix's and its all over.
Walker, for me has always been the reason that i dont turn the TV off when the race gets boring (or schumi is taken out) his witty comments and informative yet to the point comments make it all worth while.
Any one else out there who would like to see him stay longer ? Any one out there want him to retire right now?

SparX

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with ones ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce Mclaren
Old 28 Feb 2001, 12:24 (Ref:67160)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I could cheerfully listen to Murray on motor racing for the rest of my natural life, let alone his!

I think it's a great shame that after this year he will be hanging up his microphone. I just hope that the weekends he has free will encourage him to do some speaking at clubbies, national races and others.

In the meantime, thank heaven for the VCR. I think that the closing laps of the '92 Monaco GP are calling me. Yes, definitely - Mansell's pitstop and Senna's defence. And Murray going joyfully crazy at the sight of it.

An open letter to a TV producer - get a good motorsport archive show going, and hire Murray as expert presenter. I'd watch, and watch, and watch, and watch....

PS I like the quote, SparX!
Old 28 Feb 2001, 13:22 (Ref:67171)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOOK AT THAT!!!! Ohh how I'll miss you Murry. You are such a loveable prat! A round of hearty applause in your general direction
Old 28 Feb 2001, 21:36 (Ref:67259)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yes I to will miss Murrey. Tim worded it better as usual, but all agreed except my fav was the French Dijion GP with Arnoux & Villneuve banging wheels on the last two laps. Murrey was speachless.

I've met him twice and he has a real passion for racing two, three and four wheels. His memory is quite remarkable and knowledge of F1 in general probably second to none.

Simon
Old 1 Mar 2001, 03:15 (Ref:67318)   #5
SparX
Rookie

TimD
that quote was found @ http://www.bruce-maclaren.com if ya wanna check it out

SparX

P.s THE REAL HOME-COUNTRY OF MCLAREN IS IN NEW ZEALAND,SO DONT LET ANYONE ELSE TELL YOU OTHERWISE!!!!
(have a look & you will see the ORIGINAL

team mclaren logo.thats the logo that should be on the (2nd) best F1 car of 2day )

so if ya go @ that statment read up on the creator of bruce maclaren.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 03:41 (Ref:67322)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw Murray burbling on the 2nd part of the Goodwood Revival Speedvision show the other night, and to hear someone that enthusiastic after being in the same job for almost as many years as I have been alive - well, the man is clearly doing what he loves.

P.S. I liked best his comment (also very enthusiastic!) that what he liked best about Goodwood Revival was "The women look like WOMEN!" Thanks for noticing, Murray!
Old 1 Mar 2001, 08:27 (Ref:67330)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
We get most of our GP's late at night in Oz, and the only thing that keeps me going is waiting for the next Murray gaff. And you don't have to wait long. Some of the things Murray says are rally stupid, and that's what keeps me awake. Yes!! I will miss Murray, but I hope that whoever replaces him will have a clear voice, just as Murray did, so that we can appreciate the intelligent as well as the stupid comments.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 11:08 (Ref:67350)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where's the Sheep?

Say SparX,

Shouldn't there be a sheep rather than an extinct bird in the emblem?

As for Murray, while leaning towards the viewpoint of VB, the guy has forgotten more about the sport than I will ever know.

Enjoy your final year Murray, I certainly will.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 21:09 (Ref:67455)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Murray is only commentating on 12 GPs this season, and all I can say is that the Hungarian GP will be even more boring than usual! There'll be no Murray to make the race sound even halfway interesting!

A lot of people complain about Murray (bias, mistakes etc.), and I will admit to sometimes being one of those people. But all in all, he will be sorely missed.
Old 2 Mar 2001, 02:59 (Ref:67511)   #10
SparX
Rookie

Re: Where's the Sheep?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AMoffat
[B]Say SparX,

Shouldn't there be a sheep rather than an extinct bird in the emblem?

Hmmmmmm AMoffat.... the kiwi is not extinct, and there would be little point in putting a sheep because there are sheep in other countrys than NZ.

SparX
Old 2 Mar 2001, 09:00 (Ref:67534)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sparx

So sorry, I stand corrected. I was thinking of the Dodo!
Old 2 Mar 2001, 12:13 (Ref:67568)   #12
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would it be very inflammatory of me to ask, SparX, how much of today's Project 4 Formula One team owes more than a name to the great Bruce?

Certainly the big orange Can-Am cars, and the elegant, purposeful M7 and M5 single seaters carried their Kiwi heritage with pride, and when Denny Hulme was aboard, it only served to emphasise the New Zealand origins.

But now...

Am I right in thinking that Ron Dennis, for example, only actively collects MP4 cars for his personal museum, and has let significant machines like the James Hunt M23 drift into other collectors' hands?

Old 3 Mar 2001, 19:25 (Ref:67876)   #13
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend of mine created a Murray Walker drinking game!

We will have to make the most of this season, I guess?

I thnk the rules are basically drink whenever there is a gaffe! Easy right?
I think there is a twist somewhere but i'd have to ask her.

C
Old 4 Mar 2001, 06:49 (Ref:68048)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray's biggest gaffe of tonight I think was the eulogy he started to Alonso when Martin had to speak over him to say that OUT meant merely that Alonso was in the pits, that STOPPED meant no longer in the race at all.

Of course both of them were unaware that Minardi had no spare car, and Murray started piling on Burti in 2d practice until Martin pointed out that the car had broken. But he didn't really make TOO many mistakes tonight - mistaking one Sauber for the other is the only real one I can think of.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 08:52 (Ref:68060)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Didn't he say that here is David Coulthard coming out of the pit lane and yes he is ahead of David Coulthard??
Old 4 Mar 2001, 10:39 (Ref:68070)   #16
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Didn't he say that here is David Coulthard coming out of the pit lane and yes he is ahead of David Coulthard??
yeah i was half asleep but i heard that one as well.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 00:26 (Ref:68341)   #17
TRD
Rookie

TRD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray does make plenty of blunders and I bet most of us could do a more accurate job than he, but he does it with alot of enthusiasm and colour which I find quite entertaining. It'll be boring without him, Murray will be missed....by some.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 00:59 (Ref:68347)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I think many of us wait for his gems to keep us amused. I will say one thing for Murray, he has a very clear voice, quite unlike Louise Goodman - I often cannot make out what Louise is saying. Even James Allen is nowhere as clear as Murray.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 02:42 (Ref:68357)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Louise talks through her nose, and she speaks too quickly. She should push her voice down into her chest and put clear separations between her words. "Sow" instead of "Sew" when she says "So, Jacques ... "

I admit it. I will miss the old geezer. Maybe Max 'n' Bernie will be forced to make F1 interesting next year.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 05:07 (Ref:68382)   #20
SparX
Rookie

DONT LET MAX CHANGE ANYTHIN'

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
[B..........I admit it. I will miss the old geezer. Maybe Max 'n' Bernie will be forced to make F1 interesting next year. [/B]
Nooooo dont let max change anything.......hes the (F*KING) idiot who brought in groved tyres........... anyone wanna help me burn him @ the stake as a offering to the gods so that
no other person gets killed in F1 for a hell of a long time
Old 5 Mar 2001, 05:57 (Ref:68386)   #21
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW down there SPARX, your not at one of those "trashy forums" anymore.

Whilst not being a Max fan myself, making my favorite sport almost completely boring to watch, the last thing he can be accused of is making the sport more dangerous. He has made alot of changes that IMPROVE safety (I don't always agree with them) and that is always at the front of all decisions the FIA make.

Welcome to ten-Tenths Sparx, where all intelligent (and not so) opinions are welcome.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 06:02 (Ref:68387)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
duplicated

Last edited by Wrex; 5 Mar 2001 at 06:08.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 06:04 (Ref:68388)   #23
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
OOP's, got off topic.

I'm really going to miss Murray.

They may find someone less bias, more accurate, and a whole lot younger, but they will never replace his enthusuasm and ability to bring a boring prosession ALIVE!!

Stay as long as you like and get it completely wrong every race, I for one don't care. Good luck Murray
Old 5 Mar 2001, 08:46 (Ref:68396)   #24
Airhead
Veteran

Liz,

Louise Goodman pushing her voice down into her chest, I'd like to see that. As much chance as me getting my mind out of the gutter.

SparX,

Welcome to the forum for flatulent fanatics. Remember the main house rule to attack the post and not the poster, except for me - it's open season on Muffy all year round.