Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 22 Sep 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1716345)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New Bus Stop

Spa is to undergo some changes to get it back on the F1 calendar. Most are to the F1 pits and paddock, but there will be a change to the track also.

The last part of the bus stop chicane will be a proper chicane rather than a flat-out right-left.

It will still be right-left, but much more severe, almost doubling back on itself. It will be much slower. It will have the effect of reducing speeds into La Source will be reduced too.
I have seen computer generated pictures on DSC.

I guess it really can't be called bus stop anymore.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1716423)   #2
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The run to La source has also been extended, it might bring the speeds up again.

The Bus Switchback perhaps?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 22 Sep 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1716428)   #3
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's happening with the first bit?
Old 22 Sep 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1716647)   #4
Isadora
Rookie

Isadora should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was posted on the Belgian Marshals website less than a month ago:

Investissements sur le circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Caractéristiques des aménagements proposés par rapport Ã* la situation existante

1. Chicane
- tracé de la chicane inversé, ce qui permet d’allonger, en l’incurvant, la ligne de départ et de ralentir efficacement les véhicules ;
- démolition de la villa « Chicane » ;
- dégagement minimum et indispensable en sortie de chicane ;
- nouvelle bretelle d’accès Ã* la Pit-lane ;
- maintien des voiries de service existantes au pied du remblai situé Ã* l’extérieur du dégagement susmentionné.

2. Paddocks
- démolition de la « Circuit house » ;
- création d’un bâtiment de 2 niveaux + 1 entresol de hauteur variable comprenant :
- 42 modules de 6,5 x 18 m (le rez-de-chaussée compte 36 modules affectés aux stands, 3 au parc fermé, 2 au contrôle technique et 1 Ã* l’accès Ã* la Pit-lane) ;
- des sanitaires, notamment pour les teams ;
- la Direction de Course ;
- des bureaux et locaux techniques ;
- la salle de presse ;
- les salles de briefing et de conférence de presse ;
- les locaux « photographes » ;
- le podium ;
- 36 cabines pour les commentateurs TV ;
- un « Paddock club » ;
- une toiture-terrasse accessible.
- agrandissement de la zone arrière des stands (esplanade pour les poids lourds) ;
- adaptation de la Pit-lane le long des futurs nouveaux stands.

3. Virage de la Source
- maintien des caractéristiques générales de ce virage « mythique » ;
- adaptations nécessaires de la zone de dégagement ;
- nivellement d’une zone située Ã* l’extérieur de la sortie du virage et destinée Ã* accueillir une tribune d’une capacité de 4.628 places.

4. Parkings
- adaptation de l’accès, en venant du centre de Francorchamps, aux parkings situés derrière les tribunes ;
- aménagement, sur le terrain de moto-cross situé en face des stands, de trois zones de parking représentant une surface totale de 22.750 m2 (en complément d’une zone de 2675 m² déjÃ* aménagée). L’accessibilité Ã* ces parkings sera assurée par une amélioration de l’assiette SNCB située Ã* l’arrière (ancienne voirie de chemin de fer actuellement partiellement asphaltée).

5. Cheminements piétons
- réalisation des aménagements demandés.

6. Tribunes
- réalisation de 4 nouvelles tribunes permettant une capacité d’accueil totale de 20.000 places permanentes assises (5.972 places sont existantes et 14.028 places sont Ã* créer), conformément aux demandes formulées.

The most important bit being that the bus stop is going to be inverted and yet more run off area added. As for La Source, it is a bit vague as they are "maintaining the general characteristics" so could mean anything really and again extending the run off.

Let me tell you that the marshals are not impressed by the constant changes made to "their" circuit to please the FIA (many of the gravel traps have already been lost in favour of big tarmac run off). This round of modifications will cost in the region of €19 million.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1719567)   #5
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I find weird is the changes planned for the La Source run-off. I have never ever seen any accidents there that required major run-off. And, by the way, all run-off is already tarmac, because it's public road. Quite a large intersection, even.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 18:54 (Ref:1719581)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to remember Fisi having a major off there in warm-up a few years ago, but that's it. That was on the downhill stretch shortly after the corner, where the pit exit is, or just after.

Perhaps this is as a result of Belgian authorities wanting to alter the junction in future? To put in a roundabout or something that would require the run-off at La Source being realigned?

As for the Bus Stop changes, well, I don't suppose it'll be too much bother to anyone, it's hardly a classic is it?
Old 25 Sep 2006, 19:19 (Ref:1719609)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually it bothers me. I got a better exit in the first bit and overtook someone on the outside in the second bit. Hardly F1, but I loved it. Now you get a good exit and you immediately have to brake for the next bit; less time to use your gained relative momentum.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1721437)   #8
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora
This was posted on the Belgian Marshals website less than a month ago:

Investissements sur le circuit de Spa-Francorchamps...

...This round of modifications will cost in the region of €19 million.
In English, please

Last edited by Adam43; 28 Sep 2006 at 12:33. Reason: Try not to quote long posts in their entirety. See FAQ.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1721969)   #9
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1fan
In English, please
Just learn to read French.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1722010)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
In English, please
The important bits relevant to the actual track were summarised in English at the bottom of that post.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1722117)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adam, were the images on DSC their own interpretation of the text above or official images of what the changes will look like?

Are you any the wiser as to what happens to the first part of the bus stop?

Inverting to me sounds like it'll just be a tight right-left with no first part per se, as the second part currently is not really worth calling a corner at all...
Old 1 Oct 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1724381)   #12
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was wrong with the 'old' Bus Stop chicane? The 'newer' one was terrible, hopefully they will make a decent stab at it this time.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1730234)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The plans were in Autosport this week - looks horrible. And there's tarmac run-off - I'd be tempted to cut it!!

It'll be a sharp left, then speed up slightly, then brake for a sharp right, speed up slightly, sharp right, then sharp left - even worse than the last sectors at Hungary and Silverstone

No changes to La Source mentioned - maybe they've gone back on the idea of moving it (about 100 yds down the road, for those that don't know)

I don't know what was wrong with the old one - perhaps Hermann was short of work
Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1732207)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
That's not what I saw in Autosport. Are you sure you weren't looking at the little inset showing how it currently is?

Something like this (red trace) is the best sense I could make of what I saw in Autosport, relative to older incarnations of the corner.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1732216)   #15
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope you're right P coz I don't like the current layout & I wasn't that kee on the previous one. That one would be a little better if it was a tad looser though....

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1732233)   #16
formula1fan
Racer

England
@pirenzo: that now makes sense. thanks
Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1732235)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
To be honest, I think the main motivation behind this all is simply to straighten the pit straight and therefore allow the pit buildings to extend further back along the straight.
It may also be a little bit safer, but that's hardly the main point when you look at it.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1732237)   #18
formula1fan
Racer

England
i can see wot u mean
Old 9 Oct 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1733149)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
That's not what I saw in Autosport. Are you sure you weren't looking at the little inset showing how it currently is?

Something like this (red trace) is the best sense I could make of what I saw in Autosport, relative to older incarnations of the corner.
From what Adam said, I presumed the bit shown in Autosport was just the 2nd bit. I sincerely hope you're right as it looks better than a double chicane
Old 9 Oct 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1733392)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where would the pit entry now be then, The old section..looping around the new chicane?
Old 9 Oct 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1733421)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
i can see wot u mean
In English, please.

My original understanding is that the first part of the bus stop remains as it is now and it is the second part that these changed concern. However I have my doubts about that now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Where would the pit entry now be then, The old section..looping around the new chicane?
According to the map in Autosport the pit lane entry is between the right and left of the new section.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1733472)   #22
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
So they have to cut across the racetrack to get into the pit complex? Or is that being moved to the other side of the track?
Old 10 Oct 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1733923)   #23
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Can't somebody scan the Autosport picture?
Old 10 Oct 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1734025)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or a link, since the scanned image would probably go against copyright rules
Old 30 Oct 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1753660)   #25
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Here's what the final layout will look like according to the pdf posted on this thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90294

One slight thought looking at this image...has the F1 pit exit been lengthened to further down the hill?
Attached Thumbnails
Spa.jpg