Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 3 Jul 2010, 12:54 (Ref:2721452)   #951
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi nicky,

It would be great to see something substantial materialize, but there still isn't much sign of it. As for last night's Nationwide race, they had no problem mentioning the Glen since ESPN/ABC is covering that race on Sunday too.

There have been IndyCar mentions all season in Nascar, thanks to Danica Patrick's crossover. Lots of highlights of her in the Dallara on stock car shows. If that drew any Nascar fans in the opposite direction, it might have been hundreds.

Part of the New Hampshire sales pitch was to announce that tickets for the IndyCar race would go on sale the following day. Jerry Gappens said they sold 200.

By the way, what did you think of the Nationwide show from Daytona? And do you get good coverage of the IndyCar races? What network? Thanks!
Old 3 Jul 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2721593)   #952
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's all interesting stuff but that doesn't answer my question, what's going to take its place, or do you think that's the end of AOWR?
If it goes away that will be that. For a while anyways.

Nascar will just take over the indy 500.

I think we could see the end of open wheel within 2 years. Or less.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2721595)   #953
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm concerned the pin might be pulled. We'll see what hits the ground after the 500 next year.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 22:34 (Ref:2721596)   #954
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

Thanks, even though you paint a very bleak picture of the future.

Nascar take over the Indy 500, that's going to take me a while to my head around that one.
Old 4 Jul 2010, 02:04 (Ref:2721626)   #955
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

That would be truly awful!
Old 4 Jul 2010, 02:31 (Ref:2721630)   #956
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
That would be truly awful!
I don't believe that will happen, despite MStar's answer to my quetion and his gloomy answer. There is too much at stake for the likes of Mssrs. Andretti, Ganassi and Penske, to call it a day; racing is their raison d'etre.
Old 4 Jul 2010, 03:02 (Ref:2721638)   #957
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The problem with the Dallara, apart fom it's appearance...
Old 4 Jul 2010, 03:08 (Ref:2721641)   #958
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say it, but Mountanstar may be on to something. Remember when the CART unveiled the new Panoz? It seemed like the chassis was supposed to be CART's savior.

Now, having said that, it is definitely time for a chassis and design change in IndyCar. But I can't help but thinking how history has a tendency to repeat itself...
Old 4 Jul 2010, 03:37 (Ref:2721648)   #959
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605 View Post
I hate to say it, but Mountanstar may be on to something. Remember when the CART unveiled the new Panoz? It seemed like the chassis was supposed to be CART's savior.

Now, having said that, it is definitely time for a chassis and design change in IndyCar. But I can't help but thinking how history has a tendency to repeat itself...
To be politically and historically correct it was Champcar not CART who unveiled the DP0Z.

Dead right, is definitely time for a chassis and design change in IndyCar.

Bring on Lola; multiple chassis configuration and intergrated tub for IndyCar and Indy Lites: Simples.
Old 4 Jul 2010, 04:21 (Ref:2721657)   #960
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
I'm concerned the pin might be pulled. We'll see what hits the ground after the 500 next year.
Yeah it will run until the centennial then there will be some PR blah blah about new traditions and Nascar in 2012.
Old 4 Jul 2010, 04:26 (Ref:2721659)   #961
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I don't believe that will happen, despite MStar's answer to my quetion and his gloomy answer. There is too much at stake for the likes of Mssrs. Andretti, Ganassi and Penske, to call it a day; racing is their raison d'etre.
Nah. Ganassi and Penske have had the indycar programs mooching off their nascar operations for years now. They are not going to be losing a revenue raiser.

However they both do like open wheel racing quite a lot.

But never trust them as they are very self centered people. They do what is right for them, not necessarily what is good for the sport on the whole. I've covered that before on this forum
Old 4 Jul 2010, 04:48 (Ref:2721660)   #962
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
I'm not liking the Izod situation, I think they are taking their lumps. The Glen should be their "home race", 4 hrs. fom NYC. There hasn't been any of their celebrity party stuff going on that I can find. No talk about continuing with RHR. Looks like pullback time.
Old 4 Jul 2010, 06:15 (Ref:2721672)   #963
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I'm not liking the Izod situation, I think they are taking their lumps. The Glen should be their "home race", 4 hrs. fom NYC. There hasn't been any of their celebrity party stuff going on that I can find. No talk about continuing with RHR. Looks like pullback time.
I'll just say from my experience, corporates do not travel 4 hours from NYC into the woods for a race. Nor do celebs. To those types, Watkins Glen is a barnyard. And a far away one at that.

Not happening.
Old 6 Jul 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2722592)   #964
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
In the Indy Star's "Pit Pass" column yesterday, there was an item that with IZOD's help, Ryan Hunter-Reay will be driving for Andretti for the rest of the season and that the "sponsor" is a charity that is raising money for cancer research. RHR's Mom apparently died from cancer.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 7 Jul 2010, 19:42 (Ref:2723186)   #965
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A little off topic, but Upstate New York and New York City each don't claim the other. I imagine that's true for the corporations in New York City as well. Based on their commercials, IZOD seems to be portraying "Long Beach" more than "Watkins Glen".

From the Bear:

http://murphythebear.com/blog/index....ing-for-an-r8/

Quote:
The IRL’s ICONIC committee responsible for recommending the new Indy Car have been more secret than an Elk’s Lodge, but Murphy’s heard there will be more than one chassis maker chosen, or perhaps a common tub/undertray chassis that other builders will be able to construct their cars onto.

The Bear heard Robin Miller knows what has been decided but is keeping his mouth shut. (Since when has that ever happened?) Allegedly, one of the seven ICONIC members told him. Cottman? Long?
If that's the case, good.

The "AAA pulling out of FIA" story at the top of the blog if true...very interesting for American and European auto racing by the way. During the Mosley kerfluffle a couple years ago, I read half of all membership dues money for the FIA comes courtesy of AAA.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 7 Jul 2010 at 19:51.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2723206)   #966
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post

The "AAA pulling out of FIA" story at the top of the blog if true...very interesting for American and European auto racing by the way. During the Mosley kerfluffle a couple years ago, I read half of all membership dues money for the FIA comes courtesy of AAA.
That would be excellent. Lola were puttong forward the idea of a common tub that could be used by IndyCars and Indy Lites.

If the AAA due pull out of the FIA that won't look good for new President Jean Todt. I don't think it will hurt the AAA at all, the ACO successfully left the FIA.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 20:16 (Ref:2723208)   #967
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
From the Bear:

http://murphythebear.com/blog/index....ing-for-an-r8/

That sounds to good to be true!
Old 7 Jul 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2723210)   #968
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember...It's a "Rumor"

The ICONIC group has been very, very tight-lipped...lots of rumors flying around the "Racing Capital of the World" these days...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 7 Jul 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2723213)   #969
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Remember...It's a "Rumor"

The ICONIC group has been very, very tight-lipped...lots of rumors flying around the "Racing Capital of the World" these days...
well spread some of them

Quote:
bjohnsonsmith: That would be excellent. Lola were puttong forward the idea of a common tub that could be used by IndyCars and Indy Lites.
This is something very different than what Lola wanted. Lola wanted a common car that would get built and sold by them for both series. This is a common tub and then the rest of the car would get built by whoever after buying the tub.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 7 Jul 2010 at 20:35.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2723268)   #970
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
This is something very different than what Lola wanted. Lola wanted a common car that would get built and sold by them for both series. This is a common tub and then the rest of the car would get built by whoever after buying the tub.
Indeed it is different, I was just pointing out Lola had the concept of a common tub but a tub that could be made by one manufacturer and the rest of car being built by the team, sounds more like the Delta-Wing concept meets Lola's concept.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 23:56 (Ref:2723307)   #971
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
"We have to keep this a surprise, to explode it out into the industry," Bernard said Sunday at an impromptu press conference at Watkins Glen International. "Anybody who tells you they know what's been decided is not telling the truth".
Old 8 Jul 2010, 00:18 (Ref:2723318)   #972
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
"We have to keep this a surprise, to explode it out into the industry," Bernard said Sunday at an impromptu press conference at Watkins Glen International. "Anybody who tells you they know what's been decided is not telling the truth".
Ooh, lot's to infer there; let's hope it's a nice, big surprise and not some big, nasty, horrid one.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 01:22 (Ref:2723326)   #973
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Quite right Ryan, it sure didn't look like many people claimed Watkins Glen as a destination from NYC. There likely weren't many from Boston either, which if a longer trip.

"Additionally, New Hampshire Motor Speedway is strategically located in the Northeast, which fills a geographical gap in our schedule." Randy Bernard.

That implies a lot more than local support for a venue, so it isn't clear to me what fan base is going to be strategically attracted. Locals, same as the Glen?

It doesn't sound like they'll be coming from NYC in force, and neither will Izod. Which is one way the attendance at the Glen could have been improved, and why it will probably fall off the schedule.

The Izod pre-race party in Boston for the Indy 500 drew 400 people though...they'll be at Louden for sure. And as you correctly point out, Long Beach will continue as one of the few races that receives significant promotion or attendance.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 02:25 (Ref:2723337)   #974
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Indeed it is different, I was just pointing out Lola had the concept of a common tub but a tub that could be made by one manufacturer and the rest of car being built by the team, sounds more like the Delta-Wing concept meets Lola's concept.
No it's not. Lola's concept was not a common tub, it was a common car that they made which means it by default had a common tub. Yes, there's a common tub there, but there was a common tub on the Dallara, Swift, and BAT as well then. With due respect, you're looking at the situation completely wrong considering Lola's underlying business motives which was to have a monopoly on tub, car, wings, parts, everything.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 02:45 (Ref:2723341)   #975
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
No it's not. Lola's concept was not a common tub, it was a common car that they made which means it by default had a common tub. Yes, there's a common tub there, but there was a common tub on the Dallara, Swift, and BAT as well then. With due respect, you're looking at the situation completely wrong considering Lola's underlying business motives which was to have a monopoly on tub, car, wings, parts, everything.
I don't believe I am wrong. Their proposal is to build a common tub that can be used by both IndyCar and Indy Lites teams, thus making it cheaper for Indy Lites teams to migrate to IndyCar, without having to buy a new chassis from another manufacturer.

You might want to read this:
http://www.lolacars.com/newsstory.asp?NewsId=190

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 8 Jul 2010 at 03:05. Reason: addendum