Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Aug 2012, 16:09 (Ref:3123077)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rounds 17 and 18 - Sonoma Raceway/USA

So what to expect now as we go into the unknown, with this being the first time the WTCC has held a race in the USA and with less then a month to go details should hopefully begin to come out.

Details on what layout they are using. (Two 13 lap races on the long course.)
Old 22 Aug 2012, 18:43 (Ref:3123128)   #2
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd have preferred the NASCAR layout. I don't like that chicane, if the one on the IRL track on Forza 4 is anything to go by!
Old 22 Aug 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3123273)   #3
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What sort of crowd are we expecting?

Over/under 10 genuine paying spectators?
Old 22 Aug 2012, 23:52 (Ref:3123279)   #4
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
What sort of crowd are we expecting?

Over/under 10 genuine paying spectators?
From the Sonoma website:

"What is the FIA World Touring Car Championship, you ask? Well, the best way to describe it is to think of NASCAR, with global flare. There will be plenty of beatin' and bangin' between these full-bodied race-cars in two 30-minute sprint races, both on Sunday. Drivers subscribe to the "rubbin' is racin'" theme, so expect tempers to flare and intensity to be at an all-time high. Sonoma is Round 9 of the 12-race global series, which also features stops in exotic locales like Italy, Brazil, Portugal, Morocco and Macau."

Old 23 Aug 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3123512)   #5
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Drivers subscribe to the "rubbin' is racin'" theme
...but race control doesn't, unfortunately(?).
Old 23 Aug 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3123548)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
"What is the FIA World Touring Car Championship, you ask? Well, the best way to describe it is to think of NASCAR, with global flare. There will be plenty of beatin' and bangin' between these full-bodied race-cars in two 30-minute sprint races, both on Sunday. Drivers subscribe to the "rubbin' is racin'" theme, so expect tempers to flare and intensity to be at an all-time high. Sonoma is Round 9 of the 12-race global series, which also features stops in exotic locales like Italy, Brazil, Portugal, Morocco and Macau."

That is an excellent PR piece.

I think WTCC made a major mistake with the support races... they could've got something domestic to attract even a small crowd, now who on Earth is gonna wanna watch another faceless spec single seater series in form of AutoGP "World" Series (and Maserati Trofeo). That crap doesn't sell even in Europe, what are the chances here?

Yeah okay I guess they have USTCC there but that series is a dead duck swimming on desert.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3123589)   #7
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
now who on Earth is gonna wanna watch another faceless spec single seater series in form of AutoGP "World" Series
Especially considering the recent car counts. The 12 car grid at Curitiba was a bit of an embarrassment.

Not a big fan of the chicane anyway, over the years in IndyCar, it has provided more tangles, crashes and controversies than clean overtakes. And since NASCAR are taking the "historic" route themselves, I would've thought that safety wouldn't be an issue for mere S2000s.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3123593)   #8
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Safety is always an "issue" for the FIA. These are the same morons that some time ago said that WTCC could only race safely at Nordschleife if the track was heavily modified and packed with run offs... even though GT3s and even GT4s that race on the track regularly are much faster and accident-prone than the dishwasher-S2000s.

While the empty grandstands and reduced fields are pretty much guaranteed for this event (and the lameness is even bigger when you realize that Chevy's pressure for this event to happen was totally useless now that they're stepping out of the series anyway) I guess it should still be a rather interesting event to follow. Actually, this is the second most anticipated non- V8 Supercar related touring car event of the year for me. Macau is obligatory obviously
Old 25 Aug 2012, 05:25 (Ref:3124381)   #9
domino vitali
Rookie

domino vitali should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
From the Sonoma website:

"global flare"? and i've been using local flares all this time. good thing i don't venture into international waters.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3127262)   #10
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Im still trying to wrap my head around the fact that WTCC will be in the US.

If it aint Nascar then people arent interested as far as tin tops go-am I right?
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3127343)   #11
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Im still trying to wrap my head around the fact that WTCC will be in the US.

If it aint Nascar then people arent interested as far as tin tops go-am I right?
I think it's a case of Stranger in Strange land.

There is no way you can predict if this is going to work or fail.

However I doubt, if there is success for the championship it will spread across the whole USA. If they can get half a dozen states interested then good for them.

Looks like Bamboo might be down one car.

Last edited by I Rosputnik; 30 Aug 2012 at 12:10.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3127459)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't think it will be a success in terms of spectators and media attention but of course there are racing fans who don't like NASCAR but prefer others forms of motorsport like touring car racing, see for example BTCC newbie Robb Holland. In Europe there are also racing fans who like all sorts of motorsport except F1 (like me).
Old 30 Aug 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3127639)   #13
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
I think it's a case of Stranger in Strange land.

There is no way you can predict if this is going to work or fail.
Of course there is way to predict; it will fail. Guaranteed. 2 litre touring cars is just not something American's are interested in.

A couple of commie-cars, some ridiculous Chevrolet's (remember US Chevrolet's are very different to the Cruze..), etc
Old 31 Aug 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3127773)   #14
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Naw, the Cruze is actually a global model and sold pretty much like that in the US, same goes for the new Focus.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3127927)   #15
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I don't think it will be a success in terms of spectators and media attention but of course there are racing fans who don't like NASCAR but prefer others forms of motorsport like touring car racing, see for example BTCC newbie Robb Holland. In Europe there are also racing fans who like all sorts of motorsport except F1 (like me).
Yes, and WTCC has a reputation amongst the niche you speak of, for being crappy boring racing that is complete garbage and almost unwatchable. V8 Supercars will have triple the spectators because it has a good reputation amongst the niche you speak of, and ALMS and Indycar road courses get great crowds these days. But the little that know about WTCC think it's garbage, Marshall Pruett in his yearly review once singled it out as being boring with minimal overtaking,
Old 10 Sep 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3133856)   #16
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Speed TV to show the race at 19:00 PST with a repeat at 06:00 PST the following day.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3133958)   #17
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how many commercial breaks will they be able to fit into each of the races On the other hand, it'll be the only occasion during the season to see the most important statistic during a race, which is the difference between current and start positions for each of the cars
Old 12 Sep 2012, 17:07 (Ref:3134897)   #18
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMWs to run at lowest possible weight in the USA

Cruze: 1200 kg
Leon: 1150
320: 1140
Focus: 1130
Old 13 Sep 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3135258)   #19
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Patrick Dempsey to race in the Maserati GrandTurismo MC Trofeo World Series (Gasp!).
Old 13 Sep 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3135360)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
http://www.racesonoma.com/handler.cf...med_id=1502551
This is so cringe-worthy, words fail me
Old 13 Sep 2012, 15:14 (Ref:3135431)   #21
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
http://www.racesonoma.com/handler.cf...med_id=1502551
This is so cringe-worthy, words fail me
Oh dear. couldn't she even be bothered to learn how to say their names?
Old 13 Sep 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3135439)   #22
Alfa Fan
Veteran

It's quite clear she's never met the drivers she "interviewed".
Old 13 Sep 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3135642)   #23
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Good lord...

I'd like those seconds of my life back...
Old 13 Sep 2012, 23:51 (Ref:3135667)   #24
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
It's quite clear she's never met the drivers she "interviewed".
All very local radio isn't it? The DJ pretends to be interviewing a big star, when really it's a tape recording.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 17:34 (Ref:3135996)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
All very local radio isn't it? The DJ pretends to be interviewing a big star, when really it's a tape recording.
This does happen in the UK?