Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Mar 2003, 15:04 (Ref:541224)   #1
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix in Bahrain

I've already posted this today but it interests me to see how many people will be excited at the prospect of a track in what is not the easiest place in the world to get into.
Since posting elsewhere I have been told that women will not be allowed into the track as spectators unless they are covered from head to foot in the traditional muslim dress, though I dont know this to be a fact.

Bernie Ecclestone has signed a deal with the Bahrain government to build a new circuit in time for inclusion in next years Grand Prix races.
The Country must be very serious about it all and have agreed to spend five hundred million pounds on the track, a stadium and a holiday resort to cater for the expected influx of race fans.
Sounds lovely, except for the fact that on the map that I just looked on Bahrain was about a biro's width away from Iraq.
I don't know what they are seeing from the Bahraini side, but from here, to me , it would seem that this time next year the people of that region will have their hands full rebuilding the whole region and not just a race track.
Or are Bernie’s well documented ties to Mr Blair bearing fruit, I hope so because for the fans who could afford to travel that far it would be a fabulous experience
So what do you know about this war and its expected duration Bernie?
Old 19 Mar 2003, 15:39 (Ref:541236)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find it sad that F1 would consider racing in one of the more backward Islamic states, simply because they are losing tobacco money. There will be very little local interest in this race, not over a sustained period at least, and what'll happen to the champagne celebration?
Old 19 Mar 2003, 15:41 (Ref:541240)   #3
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I would prefer a Grand Prix in Russia.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 15:44 (Ref:541243)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally I would prefer a Grand Prix in Spa.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 16:41 (Ref:541299)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will reserve judgement till after the first race there. We never know what changes or allowances will be made for the race weekend. Racing brings many different types together, some who would never speak under any other circumstance. It may be a good thing.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 17:24 (Ref:541341)   #6
Bostik
Racer

Bostik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Neil - wait and see. Unfortunately, Cobra has obviously never been to Bahrain, or he would realise that what he posted was incorrect. Fact is, there is a very cosmopolitan population in Bahrain, of which about one third are ex-patriates. Probably some 60,000 Brits there.
All that stuff about women not being allowed into the circuit is complete fantasy - woman have the same rights in Bahrain as most other places - and they live, work and dress as they please. Bahrain has no restriction on alcohol either. Bahrain, and in fact the Gulf States have a very active motorsport fraternity anyway, so the investment by the Government in the Bahrain Racing Circuit is something to be applauded - not sure Tony Blair would be so forward thinking. Sure - the Bahrain goverment don't expect you to hop on a plane to see their GP - this is of course all about getting just these sorts of misunderstandings cleared up (too many people only read newspapers!!) - and of course building a viable motorsport infrastructure for those like you and me who are interested.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 17:48 (Ref:541366)   #7
pete2003
Rookie

pete2003 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whydont they start racing at brands hatch again so we have to grandprix's after all we practically started it all. i no its expensive but i wid rather have an average track over here than a multi million pund one over there where no 1 can see it. another example of f1 being run by money not by passion like it should be.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 18:08 (Ref:541384)   #8
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
err, wasnt this gp cancelled a couple of months ago, as I remember it the Bahrain parliment voted it down as they didnt want the infamy and prostitution associated with F1....(y'know not islamic.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 18:09 (Ref:541386)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I'm looking forward to it. The Formula 1 World championship needs to embrace that World more, instead of being so European based. Of course I don't want to see Spa go, and I'd also love to see a Russian GP. But an Middle East GP; and another GP in Africa (back to Kylami, maybe Welcolm?) would be great for the sport.
Perhaps us Europeans wouldn't be able to see as many races live. But let's not be selfish, other people around the world could be introduced to F1, and this would have many benefits for both the sport - introducing a new set of sponsors; and the country in question - tourism etc.
I applaud the Bahrainian (is that right?)governement for the willingness in getting another GP up and running, despite some problems (as discussed here). Let's go global!
Old 19 Mar 2003, 18:12 (Ref:541387)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisrb2002
err, wasnt this gp cancelled a couple of months ago, as I remember it the Bahrain parliment voted it down as they didnt want the infamy and prostitution associated with F1....(y'know not islamic.
It's back on - just a few dissenting MPs. Here's the thread
Old 19 Mar 2003, 20:42 (Ref:541505)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good timing, Bernie!

Quote:
Bahrain Offers Saddam Sanctuary in Bid to Avert War
Wed March 19, 2003 12:00 PM ET

MANAMA (Reuters) - U.S. ally Bahrain offered sanctuary to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein on Wednesday in a last-ditch bid to avert a U.S.-led war on Iraq, Bahrain's official BNA news agency reported ...
http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle....toryID=2408083
Old 19 Mar 2003, 21:28 (Ref:541568)   #12
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Let's go global!"

Oh let's not...

I've posted enough times as to wy I'm completely and utterly opposed to this rubbish so I'm not going to repeat myself.

For once.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 05:50 (Ref:541845)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For once I agree with Tristan.

*Everyone collapses*

F1 should stay where the fans are instead of following the sponsorship dollars. The majority of F1 fans and teams and are located in Europe.

KEEP THE RACING WHERE IT BELONGS!
Old 20 Mar 2003, 06:15 (Ref:541850)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amen to Tristan and F1Manoz.

I guess if we wanted a [/b]true[/b] world championship we'd have races based on the populations of countries...so we'd have races in China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Nigeria etc, just to name a few...and that'd be absolutely ****...

Here's an idea Bernie and co - lets have a race in countries where there are FORMULA ONE fans! That means Belgium, that means Austria, that means South Africa, that means Britain and that means most of Europe.

It does not mean Bahrain, or any other tiny nation where no one has heard of Formula One...

Sorry, but this is the way I feel on this issue.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 09:24 (Ref:541932)   #15
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Exactly, most F1 fans are in Europe. So why don't we work to have F1 fans spread accross the world? I wouldn't argue that we need to have more races in Europe than another continent, but it doesn't need to be so dominant.
True F1 fans in the states or even Australia may have to travel huge distances to visit a race. Careful geographical positioning of races in Europe will ensure that people still won't have to travel these huge distances and still have an advantage.
Indeed, by just increasing the number of races in the season (big talking point I know), very few - I indeed any more - European races will have to be sacrificed.
Going global does not necessarily mean that Europe will suffer.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 10:56 (Ref:541996)   #16
Cobra
Racer

Bostik
You're dead right I've never been to Bahrain
and let me assure you that I have no intention of going either.
I did say in my post that I didn't know this to be a fact
so why are you taking whatever is on your mind out on me.
Finally I did not read it in the newspaper, it was actually Bernie himself who told me that. So there!!
Old 20 Mar 2003, 14:15 (Ref:542131)   #17
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
Personally I would prefer a Grand Prix in Spa.
I'll second that!
Old 20 Mar 2003, 15:52 (Ref:542182)   #18
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a Grand Prix circuit in Bahrain is not a bad idea as long as they dont make it impossible to overtake. in Bahrain theres a chance to make a great track. although i do agree to keeping F1 where the fans are.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 16:36 (Ref:542206)   #19
Cobra
Racer

So do I and having thought about it if somebody has spotted it as a potential market and thinks that it will work then I suppose that in the end it can only be good for the sport by increasing its world wide appeal and as somebody pointed out earlier it is a world sport.
I wish that the fight would not go out of me as the day wears on Ha Ha
Old 20 Mar 2003, 16:40 (Ref:542210)   #20
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Spaced Invader: judgement depends on how much spectacle can be reached: there'd be no good in goin' to Bahrain and see a copy of Hungary GP.
If it was, on the contrary, a pleasant circuit, why not?
Old 20 Mar 2003, 16:46 (Ref:542218)   #21
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we keep F1 where the fans are then I suppose the USGP needs to be ended! This is racing not politics! Let the teams race. RS did not want to race on Brazil because he says the Gov. is unable to control the crime rate. He said the USGP is unsafe because of the threat of terrorism. If F1 is run of fear or only where the fan base is it just may die.

After the first event, then I will make a decision. If the race is held amongst soldiers with ak47s and bomb threats then I will admit its a bad idea. If it means we learn about a different culture then I feel its a great idea.

By the way, many of the wealthy go to Bahrain on vacation. In fact they have a sizable tourist industry.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 10:05 (Ref:546150)   #22
Cobra
Racer

Apparently Bernie Ecclestone has signed the contracts and the Bahranian government have agreed to loan the money to the sporting body that are contracted to complete the project.
I think that they have a completion date for the end of february, although that would seem to be incredibly fast to me looking from here.
Did you see the unrest on the television over the weekend?
The Bahranian Government were using tear gas and plastic bullets on crowds of anti war protesters.So that may have a serious bearing on the issue as well, especially if the war continues for much longer and things get really out of hand.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 13:24 (Ref:546335)   #23
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz

KEEP THE RACING WHERE IT BELONGS!

I agree. Malaysia, US Australia, Brazil, Canada and Japan are so-F1, but the other non-European countries except maybe Argentina and South Africa are so not F1. Russia is Europe, so seeing a F1 race there would rock And a race in south of Europe *hint-hint* would do, especially for us who cannot afford going to anywhere else but Hungary.

Regarding what ®îjñtjûh (how do I read that name, anyway?) and Kex said, I'd prefer a race on the old HH. Thanks in advance.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 15:04 (Ref:546454)   #24
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
there'd be no good in goin' to Bahrain and see a copy of Hungary GP.
If it was, on the contrary, a pleasant circuit, why not?
Here, for your viewing pleasure, is the Bahrain circuit map. You can guess from the domain name who the designer of the track is:

http://www.tilke.de/html_e/3e_2.htm

Now, to me it looks like there are about somewhere in the region of, well, 0 passing places on that track.

Don't get your hopes up...
Old 24 Mar 2003, 16:05 (Ref:546508)   #25
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't post links to that evil site!