Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Feb 2015, 14:26 (Ref:3503302)   #5101
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/media

Porsche has revealed some pics of their 919 Hybrid 2015 testing at Bahrain
Old 9 Feb 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3503320)   #5102
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
New naca ducts on the forward portion of the roof. Help with cooling?

Old 9 Feb 2015, 16:29 (Ref:3503325)   #5103
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
New naca ducts on the forward portion of the roof. Help with cooling?
Oh, I like that a lot better. Hopefully their livery will be better too!

I'm not sure what the nacas are for but they were integrated into the single rooftop scoop last year.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 16:29 (Ref:3503326)   #5104
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Porsche already had one fitted on one spec of their front windshield in 2014, there's just two now and are fitted symmetrically across the car's centerline. Don't know if they're driver or hybrid system cooling, though.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 16:53 (Ref:3503329)   #5105
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Porsche already had one fitted on one spec of their front windshield in 2014, there's just two now and are fitted symmetrically across the car's centerline. Don't know if they're driver or hybrid system cooling, though.
Most likely cockpit cooling as in 2014:
Old 9 Feb 2015, 18:43 (Ref:3503358)   #5106
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Porsche are also running a split exhaust (like the EBD Audi R18) with periscope outlets like the Toyota TS030/TS040.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 18:49 (Ref:3503362)   #5107
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Porsche are also running a split exhaust (like the EBD Audi R18) with periscope outlets like the Toyota TS030/TS040.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3503368)   #5108
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post
Which may imply some changes in the configuration of the ERS-H ?
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:14 (Ref:3503371)   #5109
templer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Which may imply some changes in the configuration of the ERS-H ?
Good question, but would say the MGU-H will be the same layout. I have read somewhere that a twin turbo layout did not work with a MGU-H system. So I think they have switched the exhaust layout to a 1 in 2 pipe system after the turbo. Maybe to have the same flow conditions on each side of the fin.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:18 (Ref:3503373)   #5110
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Good question, but would say the MGU-H will be the same layout. I have read somewhere that a twin turbo layout did not work with a MGU-H system. So I think they have switched the exhaust layout to a 1 in 2 pipe system after the turbo. Maybe to have the same flow conditions on each side of the fin.
Could they be using two entirely separate exhaust systems each with its own ERS-H turbine ? Would this still be considered as one and a same ERSA ? I would have to check more carefully, but I believe that it would, as both systems would still be associated to one and a same car sub-assembly, namely the engine exhaust.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3503377)   #5111
templer
Racer

Quote:
Could they be using two entirely separate exhaust systems each with its own ERS-H turbine ? Would this still be considered as one and a same ERSA ? I would have to check more carefully, but I believe that it would, as both systems would still be associated to one and a same car sub-assembly, namely the engine exhaust.
Maybe, if yes it would be a very clever solution as they will have in fact three hybrid systems. Would make sense as an additional ERS-H turbine would not add to much weight and would help to get up to 8MJ. The question is if these two turbines can be described as one MGU-H system?

I think I have so ask somebody at Porsche if they will release something on the ERS-H system
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:41 (Ref:3503381)   #5112
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Maybe, if yes it would be a very clever solution as they will have in fact three hybrid systems. Would make sense as an additional ERS-H turbine would not add to much weight and would help to get up to 8MJ. The question is if these two turbines can be described as one MGU-H system?

I think I have so ask somebody at Porsche if they will release something on the ERS-H system
Two ERS-H turbines yes (each fed with the exhaust gases coming from on cylinder bank). So not necessarily more capacity to recover energy compared to a single "bigger" turbine, but smaller turbines that are possibly easier to package on either side of the engine.

Note that these ERS-H turbines would not count as MGUs since they are not used to release any energy. Just two separate electrical machines to harvest energy and being associated to one and same car sub-assembly, i.e. the engine exhaust, therefore one and a same Energy Recovery System Assembly (ERSA) as per Article 1.20.

Still two ERSAs as such (ERSA-K on the front drive train + ERSA-H on the engine exhaust).

This obviously assuming that we are indeed talking about a bi-turbo configuration. These might as well be just split exhausts as mentioned by chernaudi.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:50 (Ref:3503386)   #5113
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good. It was very strange to see a Vee engine with a single exhaust pipe, even though it's not enforced by the rules.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:53 (Ref:3503387)   #5114
templer
Racer

Quote:
Two ERS-H turbines yes (each fed with the exhaust gases coming from on cylinder bank). So not necessarily more capacity to recover energy compared to a single "bigger" turbine, but smaller turbines that are possibly easier to package on either side of the engine.

Note that these ERS-H turbines would not count as MGUs since they are not used to release any energy. Just two separate electrical machines to harvest energy and being associated to one and same car sub-assembly, i.e. the engine exhaust, therefore one and a same Energy Recovery System Assembly (ERSA) as per Article 1.20.

Still two ERSAs as such (ERSA-K on the front drive train + ERSA-H on the engine exhaust).

This obviously assuming that we are indeed talking about a bi-turbo configuration. These might as well be just split exhausts as mentioned by chernaudi.

Sorry my mistake, Have forgotten that Porsche did not use a F1 ERS-H system which has a MGU-H. Comes a bit as I try to image how the planned ARX-04a for HPD may have looked like. And the V6 engine for this car was planned around a battery optioned MGU-K and a MGU-H together with the turbo inside the V. Have had the thoughts in my mind if a 1 in 2 pipe would make any sense to get the same airflow on each side of the fin. So mixed these two engine concepts which are not the same.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 20:43 (Ref:3503404)   #5115
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Sorry my mistake, Have forgotten that Porsche did not use a F1 ERS-H system which has a MGU-H. Comes a bit as I try to image how the planned ARX-04a for HPD may have looked like. And the V6 engine for this car was planned around a battery optioned MGU-K and a MGU-H together with the turbo inside the V. Have had the thoughts in my mind if a 1 in 2 pipe would make any sense to get the same airflow on each side of the fin. So mixed these two engine concepts which are not the same.
Actually I believe that there is no such thing like an MGU-H under the LMP1 rules, but exclusively MGU-K(s) (or simply "MGUs"). Under the LMP1 rules, an MGU is defined as a "drive machine mechanically linked to one of the drive trains", a "drive machine" being "a machine which, when connected to a shaft, increases the torque applied to this shaft". The rules further state that "for the avoidance of doubt, the engine is not an MGU". Considering further that the engine is defined as including "ancillaries, pressure charging systems and actuator systems necessary for its proper function", I would dare to say that an F1-style "MGU-H" (i.e. an electrical machine coupled to the turbine of the pressure charging system) would not be deemed to fall under the definition of MGU. Would still be considered part of an ERSA-H, but any energy release via such an electrical machine (e.g. to reduce turbo lag) would not be limited as such. This does not seem to be the most efficient way to release energy though. I therefore doubt that we will see any F1-style "MGU-H" in LMP1 as benefits are likely limited compared to other solutions. A solution like Porsche have adopted would seem to make more sense, and Audi are known to be looking at such solutions (according to Laudenbach's own admissions).
Old 9 Feb 2015, 21:18 (Ref:3503416)   #5116
templer
Racer

Quote:
Actually I believe that there is no such thing like an MGU-H under the LMP1 rules, but exclusively MGU-K(s) (or simply "MGUs"). Under the LMP1 rules, an MGU is defined as a "drive machine mechanically linked to one of the drive trains", a "drive machine" being "a machine which, when connected to a shaft, increases the torque applied to this shaft". The rules further state that "for the avoidance of doubt, the engine is not an MGU". Considering further that the engine is defined as including "ancillaries, pressure charging systems and actuator systems necessary for its proper function", I would dare to say that an F1-style "MGU-H" (i.e. an electrical machine coupled to the turbine of the pressure charging system) would not be deemed to fall under the definition of MGU. Would still be considered part of an ERSA-H, but any energy release via such an electrical machine (e.g. to reduce turbo lag) would not be limited as such. This does not seem to be the most efficient way to release energy though. I therefore doubt that we will see any F1-style "MGU-H" in LMP1 as benefits are likely limited compared to other solutions. A solution like Porsche have adopted would seem to make more sense, and Audi are known to be looking at such solutions (according to Laudenbach's own admissions).
THis is off-topic to the Porsche thread:

What I have managed to find out is that the planned HPD HR22T engine for the LMP1 category was a 2,2l V6 engine based on the Indycar engine. In contrast to the CAD renders which have appeared on the net , the exhaust pipes and the turbo were arranged inside the V. The engine was fitted with two ERS systems developed by Magnetti Marelli. A ERS-K system with batteries and a F1 style ERS-H system. As I haven't heard anymore on this project and the LMP1 ARX-04 is stopped as Honda did not want two different hybrid outfits in racing ( F1 with McLaren and LMP with HPD and Wirth) I don't know if the engine was fully developed. But I will try to find it out.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 21:55 (Ref:3503443)   #5117
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be possible to power an MGU-H with two turbo chargers.

If the MGU-H is placed transversly with a shaft coming out both ends. On each end of this shaft is a turbo charger, one for each bank of cylinders. The biggest issue might be bearing alignment but there are ways to overcome this.
Old 10 Feb 2015, 03:40 (Ref:3503506)   #5118
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
THis is off-topic to the Porsche thread:

What I have managed to find out is that the planned HPD HR22T engine for the LMP1 category was a 2,2l V6 engine based on the Indycar engine. In contrast to the CAD renders which have appeared on the net , the exhaust pipes and the turbo were arranged inside the V. The engine was fitted with two ERS systems developed by Magnetti Marelli. A ERS-K system with batteries and a F1 style ERS-H system. As I haven't heard anymore on this project and the LMP1 ARX-04 is stopped as Honda did not want two different hybrid outfits in racing ( F1 with McLaren and LMP with HPD and Wirth) I don't know if the engine was fully developed. But I will try to find it out.
yes, I would love to you publish more information about the engine and project that did not happen of Honda lmp1.
Please publish it in the Acura thread.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...02029&page=223
Old 12 Feb 2015, 13:55 (Ref:3504258)   #5119
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A nice piece on testing:https://grrc.goodwood.com/race/moder...he-919-testing
Old 12 Feb 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3504261)   #5120
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
So, the new car is an evolution but everything is new.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 14:14 (Ref:3504262)   #5121
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
.....Except for some components of the rear breaks.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 14:32 (Ref:3504264)   #5122
Rookie

500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hey Spyderman, Thanks for that link! That was a nice piece and something a little different.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 14:51 (Ref:3504265)   #5123
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you for the link. Some good pictures to boot. Waiting for tomorrow's interview with Lieb.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 18:17 (Ref:3504308)   #5124
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Very interesting: http://www.endurance-info.com/en/int...he-919-hybrid/
Old 12 Feb 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3504311)   #5125
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really like the new lines on the 2015 919 and can't wait to find out what livery Porsche will roll out to spoil it.