Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2020, 09:14 (Ref:4016108)   #1926
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Paul O'Neill?
Old 12 Nov 2020, 09:50 (Ref:4016115)   #1927
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Would O'Neill want to do F1? Hmmm...
Old 12 Nov 2020, 10:05 (Ref:4016120)   #1928
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was guessing the name of the commentator not proposing someone.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 10:14 (Ref:4016123)   #1929
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It was not him that I was thinking of in any case..
Old 12 Nov 2020, 10:14 (Ref:4016124)   #1930
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Paul O'Neill?
I think it was David Addison Peter, I think Owy's shouty/matey/blokey style wouldn't go down too well with the F1 crowd!
Old 12 Nov 2020, 10:36 (Ref:4016125)   #1931
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
OK but David is a regular BTCC commentator hence my confusion.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 10:52 (Ref:4016127)   #1932
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Addison has been doing an excellent job all round IMHO, the Goodwood Speedweek event and last weekend's commentary on the British GT's from Silverstone were clear and concise. As for F1, personally I can't bear Martin Brundle's condescending nature and his open admiration for Lewis is an embarrassment whilst the Ben Edwards and David Coulthard are pretty impartial but that's just me.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 10:57 (Ref:4016128)   #1933
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe David Addison and Ben Edwards could do a swap. If Ben wants a less hectic life and David would be up for doing the F1, who knows.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 11:50 (Ref:4016137)   #1934
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Would O'Neill want to do F1? Hmmm...
Try calling Toto "Fella" see how that goes.....
Old 12 Nov 2020, 11:54 (Ref:4016138)   #1935
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
David Addison has been doing an excellent job all round IMHO, the Goodwood Speedweek event and last weekend's commentary on the British GT's from Silverstone were clear and concise. As for F1, personally I can't bear Martin Brundle's condescending nature and his open admiration for Lewis is an embarrassment whilst the Ben Edwards and David Coulthard are pretty impartial but that's just me.
Brundle is equally adept as a main or co-comm

I have never ever seen or heard him worshipping Hamilton, in fact he often has to choose what he says carefully so as not to appear to be too harsh!
Brundle is fair in his critical appraisal of drivers whether they are British or from elsewhere.

As for 'condescending' if I had to endure the tabloid papp or sweeping generalisations being generated by the likes of Lazenby and Croft (and Humphreys in the past) every 5 minutes I might find I felt the need to put them in their place, which he does very well but unfortuntely feels the need to do so too often.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 12:07 (Ref:4016143)   #1936
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It was Richard John Neil that I was thinking of. I think he is pretty good, and I prefer him to the usual BTCC commentator. He should send his CV off too Channel 4!
Old 12 Nov 2020, 12:11 (Ref:4016144)   #1937
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think you might be talking about Richard John Neil, who covered for David Addison at Snetterton due to a clash with the SRO commitments Addison had at the Spa 24. He did a pretty good job, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It was Richard John Neil that I was thinking of. I think he is pretty good, and I prefer him to the usual BTCC commentator. He should send his CV off too Channel 4!
Aha! You were indeed
Old 12 Nov 2020, 12:19 (Ref:4016145)   #1938
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
That was a fun game of guess the commentator from these cryptic clues. Perhaps we can carry this game on during the winter break.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 12:29 (Ref:4016147)   #1939
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
How long will C4 continue with their coverage? Lots of questions to be answered over time
Old 12 Nov 2020, 13:22 (Ref:4016157)   #1940
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle, the best commentary pairing F1 never had

Ben has been brilliant not just as an F1 commentator (since 1995 on Eurosport, 2002 on F1 digital and 2006-2009 on F1 in Cinema), but as lead commentator on CART for Eurosport in the late 90s, BTCC from 2002 or so when ITV took over the rights, A1GP for that short lived championship's lifetime (great racing though), Premier 1 GP or whatever that Football based open wheel series was called (again, stupid concept but great cars and racing) F3000 and many, many other series too

What I'll miss most is his passion. Yes, he knows the sport inside and out and is a great stat man, as you'd expect from a commentator.
But when things get wheel to wheel exciting in the sport, no-one captures that excitement like Ben, not since Murray has retired at least.
His "Bengasm" when Maldanado crashed into Hamilton in Valencia 2012 is a pretty epic moment too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyyNs1jrlfM

It's a shame he'll never quite be as well known as Murray, or even Crofty atm.

But he's been the "Nearly man" of F1 commentary for so long now, and for all that period he's been better than the guy that's actually had the main gig, so I guess it proves it doesn't matter how good you are, you also have to be lucky and in the right place at the right time
The Jean Alesi/Hulkenberg of Commentary perhaps?

Goodbye Ben, you'll be missed.

Last edited by codename_47; 12 Nov 2020 at 13:45.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 13:27 (Ref:4016158)   #1941
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
How long will C4 continue with their coverage? Lots of questions to be answered over time
For multiple years.

What are the other questions?
Old 12 Nov 2020, 13:30 (Ref:4016159)   #1942
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
For multiple years.

What are the other questions?
Only time will tell. It's about time someone asked these questions.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 13:35 (Ref:4016160)   #1943
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
S griffin, list them all, crmalcolm will answer them all for you.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 13:41 (Ref:4016161)   #1944
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
S griffin, list them all, crmalcolm will answer them all for you.
It's always a pleasure to be someone else's Google for them

I can't guarantee the accuracy, but I've prepared the first few answers (I'll select one at random for each question):

-Yes
-No
-Maybe
-Possibly
-Unlikely
-3 years
-In a bar in Torino
-4 Jul 1973
-With the dogs

Last edited by crmalcolm; 12 Nov 2020 at 13:50.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 15:13 (Ref:4016180)   #1945
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Sorry for pointing out the obvious, but I assume 4 Jul 1973 was simply a typo there.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 15:18 (Ref:4016181)   #1946
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Sorry for pointing out the obvious, but I assume 4 Jul 1973 was simply a typo there.
It was a momentous occasion - just waiting for the question it is the answer to....
Old 12 Nov 2020, 16:08 (Ref:4016195)   #1947
S griffin
Veteran

Was it the day the the Vietnam war ended? I am trying to think what else happened that year, apart from sport in particular F1
Old 12 Nov 2020, 17:21 (Ref:4016211)   #1948
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Momentous indeed. I was 16 years and 47 days old. What a day.....
Old 12 Nov 2020, 22:02 (Ref:4016250)   #1949
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Claire Cottingham get the job, easier on the eye than Jack Nichols
Old 12 Nov 2020, 22:45 (Ref:4016259)   #1950
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I would like to see Claire Cottingham get the job, easier on the eye than Jack Nichols
Jack comes across as laid back when in actual fact he tries a bit too hard and ends up shouting!

Tags
pinks