Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 15 Apr 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3234643)   #101
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Still, it was nice of Stirling to pesto his wisdom upon us.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3234644)   #102
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He was asked the question to generate the expected response, as Peter said.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3234674)   #103
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all about Beitske Visser for me, I think she looks very promising. Red Bull clearly see something in her too!
Old 15 Apr 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3234776)   #104
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All I know is it can't just be nurture.

When my daughter was born I used to buy her toy racing cars, call her "Ma petite Michelle Mouton", sit her on the sofa to watch all the Grands Prix and now I have a 27 year old who can speak French but the only horses she likes have legs.

Where did I go right?
Old 15 Apr 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3234796)   #105
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think you've just proven it *is* nurture. you were trying to breed a racing driver. that always fails unless you've got a massive, well upholstered wallet
Old 15 Apr 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3234834)   #106
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Problem with Susie Wolff is that she's blatantly ONLY anywhere near an F1 car because she's female, and married to someone who was high up in the team. That's it. In her case that's all it is. She's nowhere near F1 material and if we're being objective you have to look at her record up to now regardless of gender and she just doesn't cut it. People aren't stupid, they know that.

And that opens her up to all kinds of criticism from the 'women can't drive' brigade, where that's clearly not true. Look at Simona De Silvestro in Indycar, quietly looking like a genuinely promising young driver in the series. Much as Danica Patrick is no world beater, she won an Indycar race. Women are starting to break through and tht needs to keep happening to shut the Neanderthals up

The likes of Susie Wolff and Maria de Villota getting token F1 roles hinders that process, rather than helping it in my view.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3234849)   #107
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I think Stirling Moss is way off the mark with the "menal aptitude" reason. Women excel in plenty of other sports that require very a tough mental aptitude. There are many reasons why we do not have women F1 drivers, but I do not think lack of mental strength is one of them.
But in this particular sport Stirling Moss has been there and done it. If anyone should know the mental strength required to be a Formula 1 winner and world champion runner up on many occasions (and to have the mental strength to know that he wasn't quite the same after his accident) then it is most certainly him.

As for Susie Wolff driving a Formula 1 car (on merit) - this surely is a joke?
Old 15 Apr 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3234852)   #108
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
As for Susie Wolff driving a Formula 1 car (on merit) - this surely is a joke?
the chinese lad with naff all decent single seater experience in fp1 last race, or when he did a session with hrt... that's a joke.

this is just... someone else with a better career path who's been using the sim getting in the car.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3234855)   #109
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
But in this particular sport Stirling Moss has been there and done it. If anyone should know the mental strength required to be a Formula 1 winner and world champion runner up on many occasions (and to have the mental strength to know that he wasn't quite the same after his accident) then it is most certainly him.
Yes. I agree with you on the F1 part.
But what makes him an expert on women's mental strength? Is he a psychiatrist? A neurologist? A brain surgeon?

No. He's just a sexist barbarian. Sad to see such an icon as Moss loose all his credentials by stating such a stupid neanderthal remark.

Pity.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3234861)   #110
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
There is no need to insult Moss. He's a fine man.

His remarks actually make me think of snooker. That's a sport which places priority on mental aptitude. It's a multinational sport with female referees; it not a male closed shop in contemporary terms. It's not a sport that places emphasis on strength. And yet women rarely if ever feature on the radar. All I can think of was that Fisher lady during the 90's. There's none today insofar as I'm aware.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3234865)   #111
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's just a numbers game. In F1 and in snooker. In both motor racing and snooker very few women take up a steering wheel or a cue, so it is little surprising that few or none of them make to the top. Saying they are not good enough is rather silly, and in my eyes, sexist and medieval.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3234868)   #112
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
at the top level most sports require a great deal of mental discipline and that is certainly not a trait thats is exclusive to one gender or the other. if anything its simply just a rare trait.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3234869)   #113
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In snooker's boom years there was a fairly healthy ladies circuit. There's no sporting reason why men and ladies couldn't compete, but when you look at the grass roots of working men's clubs and the like it becomes obvious why the sexes are separated.

Is calling Moss a neanderthal barbarian really any better than his comments? You may disagree with him but there's no need for that.

The trouble with Motorsport is the emphasis on privilege. That's no different for men or women, so it's hardly surprising that not all the women in the sport are there on merit.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3234870)   #114
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
I think it's just a numbers game. In F1 and in snooker. In both motor racing and snooker very few women take up a steering wheel or a cue, so it is little surprising that few or none of them make to the top. Saying they are not good enough is rather silly, and in my eyes, sexist and medieval.
I suspect Vince that there are an awful lot more woman who wield a cue than we might think for - certainly at a mere recreational level. So why don't we see more of those women moving into the professional game?
Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3234887)   #115
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
I suspect there might be a lot more women who play some form of billiards or race cars than I thought, but the ratio is not 1:1 women:men by far. Men outnumber women by quite a large margin in both sports.

And having people like Stirling Moss putting women down doesn't help to move them up the ranks of course.

As does Susie Wolff to be honest. Having a 'chance' to reach F1 by merely being a woman and being married to a F1 mayor shareholder/team executive doesn't bode well for other women. Message to be read: f*ck your way up the ladder....

That's not the way.

In my eyes, with 50/50 men/women participating in car racing/snooker, I can't see a reason why women can't be as succesful as men. (with all other parameters being equal of course)
Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:30 (Ref:3234895)   #116
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Message to be read: f*ck your way up the ladder....
how do you know no men are doing that? its ok to sell your soul to an oil company, energy drink maker, or telecom concern but helping your wife do something she was into before you ever met her is wrong.

quite surprised by BE's comments in the article though. quite a step away from the washing machine quip a few years back.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3234898)   #117
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Am I the only one not offended by Moss' remarks? I don't think he was being nasty. Slightly misguided but I know what he is getting at.

And before I get accused of bias: I'm Spanish.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:42 (Ref:3234902)   #118
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
i wouldn't say im offended by it but rather just think his criticism of not being mentally tough enough actually applies to a lot more than just one gender.

no need to single out women for something that most male drivers also lack.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3234906)   #119
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
In snooker's boom years there was a fairly healthy ladies circuit. There's no sporting reason why men and ladies couldn't compete, but when you look at the grass roots of working men's clubs and the like it becomes obvious why the sexes are separated.

Is calling Moss a neanderthal barbarian really any better than his comments? You may disagree with him but there's no need for that.

The trouble with Motorsport is the emphasis on privilege. That's no different for men or women, so it's hardly surprising that not all the women in the sport are there on merit.
There was a healthy ladies circuit. But women weren't debarred from the main tour where the big money lay. At a professional level there's no reason they couldn't migrate.

They discontinued the ladies tour because of a cash crisis. But snooker has gone through a mini-upswing so there's still money to be made yet not a sight or sound of any women players despite the fact there's three or four female referees.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3234909)   #120
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Anastasia Dobromyslova had a go at the PDC world championship but lost in the prelims.

Main problem is statistics. If a driver has a 0.1% chance of making it to F1, you're going to need 1,000 women racers to make it likely there's one good enough. And the one that demonstrably is is Danica Patrick, but she's in NASCAR.

It's not helped, as said above, by Wolff's unorthodox recruitment. Similar to Amati, who was up close and personal with Lauda before she desecrated a couple of qualifying sessions in her successful attempt to emulate Otto Stuppacher. Kind of gets in the way of the likes of Legge or Powell or Mann trying to get by on talent. "If that's the best woman driver there is, no point in looking for the second best, we'd be better off with the thousandth best man..."
Old 15 Apr 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3234927)   #121
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Anastasia Dobromyslova had a go at the PDC world championship but lost in the prelims.

Main problem is statistics. If a driver has a 0.1% chance of making it to F1, you're going to need 1,000 women racers to make it likely there's one good enough. And the one that demonstrably is is Danica Patrick, but she's in NASCAR.

It's not helped, as said above, by Wolff's unorthodox recruitment. Similar to Amati, who was up close and personal with Lauda before she desecrated a couple of qualifying sessions in her successful attempt to emulate Otto Stuppacher. Kind of gets in the way of the likes of Legge or Powell or Mann trying to get by on talent. "If that's the best woman driver there is, no point in looking for the second best, we'd be better off with the thousandth best man..."
I read in an authoritative magazine - it was probably Motorsport but maybe it was a long Autosport article that Briatore was her boyfriend and he was instrumental in her getting that Brabham gig. She must've been some player.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3234928)   #122
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've just seen the program "Driven" on the Iplayer on her and can't form a proper opinion.
Obviously she must be pretty good to drive at that level but as the film was made by her brother it "could" be biased !
She didn't seem too bad at the Silverstone test and is undoubtedly better that some that think that they could drive one.
OK so money and contacts have played there part but anybody with half a brain would take advantage if they could.
As for Mr Moss he can say what he likes and seeing that he once tried to chat my other half up he hasn't lost all his marbles !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 15 Apr 2013 at 22:37.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:46 (Ref:3234998)   #123
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yes. I agree with you on the F1 part.
But what makes him an expert on women's mental strength? Is he a psychiatrist? A neurologist? A brain surgeon?

No. He's just a sexist barbarian. Sad to see such an icon as Moss loose all his credentials by stating such a stupid neanderthal remark.

Pity.
mental strength wasn't mentioned, Stirling's opinion was about aptitude. Quite different. If asked the same question as Stirling, what would be your answer?
Old 16 Apr 2013, 02:32 (Ref:3235000)   #124
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post

Those are absolutely horrible examples of getting on by talent.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 06:58 (Ref:3235073)   #125
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I watched bits of that program 'Driven' too. For every interesting 'behind the scenes' bit there was a cringey hollywood-esque over dramatization.

The way they made out that Susie HAD to do a 52s laptime 'to continue her journey to F1' on the Silverstone demo was laughable. SPOILER ALERT - Her final lap was a 52.3. Wow, how convenient.
Closed Thread