Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:18 (Ref:1952644)   #26
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wensleydale
To be fair, most of what Nick has said in his first post is standard practice for all meetings regardless of status.
That is true, with the possible exception of the paddock access (most meetings dont have a pit lane walkabout anyway)

However, I agree with mark on the wider point that F1 seems to think it demands special treatment on just about everything, and I for one don't think that it, or any other series for that matter should get anything different to what anyone else gets.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1952660)   #27
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
That is true, with the possible exception of the paddock access (most meetings dont have a pit lane walkabout anyway)

However, I agree with mark on the wider point that F1 seems to think it demands special treatment on just about everything, and I for one don't think that it, or any other series for that matter should get anything different to what anyone else gets.
But you've never been to one so you're just repeating what other folks have said to you aren't you?

We've done this at length in the past and this thread is not the place for this discussion.

Of course F1 is different, it's a highly promoted, "premiership" package that goes around the world. They need things to work in the same way at every circuit so that they have consitency for the vast numbers of people involved. This will happen regardless of local practice and regardless of whether a procedure or process makes sense.

At a GP you will quite likely be asked to do things that don't make sense to you and that's because it fits in the bigger picture which you are not involved in and have no knowledge of.

Whatever you think of F1 as a form of motorsport, business or entertainment (and that's a whole different debate!) - it is different. It's not necessarily beter but it's different and that means things are done differently.

At the end of the day it is just another train set, but its their (FIA/FOM/IMSA etc) train set and they can run it in the way that they want to and much as we hate to admit it in the big scheme of things we are little fishies.

My standard advice is that everyone should do one GP (if it interests them), some people love it, some people can't stand the environment - if you do one and don't like it take the advantage of a weekend off or go somewhere else!
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1952669)   #28
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My standard advice is that everyone should do one GP (if it interests them), some people love it, some people can't stand the environment - if you do one and don't like it take the advantage of a weekend off or go somewhere else![/quote] Well said. I do it for the atmosphere. You don't see that other meetings. Its a nice change to see people about, unlike some events where your playing spot the spectator.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1952675)   #29
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So regarding F1 being treated the same as a regular club meeting, should the same be said about Premiership Rugby and grass roots Rugby for instance?

I'm looking forward to the Atmosphere. I feel pleased to have been invited and will give my all when I am there.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1952683)   #30
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Done security on F1 many many years ago,(copse c)
the days were early and long,
the nights were a pure buzz with everything that was going on,
even managed to get a bit of jordan wing thingy(yep,that long ago) from the marshal,but he did have problems fitting the nose cone and wing in his bag.
But for those who are going for the 1st time,
go with an open mind,soak up the buzz and have fun.

Last edited by gachjoel; 2 Jul 2007 at 18:57.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1952701)   #31
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said piglet and gachjoel...I can't add anything else to that.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1952741)   #32
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
But you've never been to one so you're just repeating what other folks have said to you aren't you?
I do have my own mind, and my own observations based partially on what I hear, and also upon various reports. Having made up said mind, It's my view that no series should get preferential treatment to others.

and no, I'm not F1's biggest Fan on either a motorsport or business level.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1952836)   #33
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
as Mark says, it's just another meet and just another series, Why all the fuss?
While I'm not in favour of the general F1 high-status circus, I have to beg to differ on that statement. As far as the pitlane is concerned, at this event everyone and his wife want to get in there, see (never mind meet) the drivers and nick bits of cars given half a chance (OK, that's a sweeping comment, but you get the point). All but the privelidged few don't have that opportunity.

For once, something positive is being done for the marshals in allowing those that wish to, and are giving their time to marshal, are allowed something which is denied to the fans, and the numbers involved means it will be under better conditions than those available even to the 'elite'. For that I say thank you to the organisers, and especially to our colleagues who are working the pit-lane. It is also reasonable, in view of the above, to expect marshals to behave in a professional manner since you're there in a capacity representing the wider marshalling fraternity. We argue that we deserve consideration for giving out time, and we should back that up by returning that consideration when it is given. Remember also that the walkabout could be treated as an opportunity to learn about what is needed for carrying out your duties - neutral buttons, cockpit foam release, electric and extinguisher operation.

And no, I'm not there so all of that is hypothetical for me, but noted for future consideration should I choose to return in future.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 22:09 (Ref:1952892)   #34
RIXGE
Racer

RIXGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And well said that man.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 22:10 (Ref:1952893)   #35
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well IMO I think it's great to be given this opportunity and I will certainly be there taking advantage of the offer, and yes thanks to whoever has organised it and also to the pit marshals (who have all 3 days to do this) for staying on, but why do they need to?
FTR I love F1 but hate the hype and hanging around/time wasting
Old 2 Jul 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1952911)   #36
flags
Racer

Wales
aberdare.south wales
flags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this will be my 20th BGP,marshalling,i love it and wont let any detractors put me off...it's a matter of choice...i hate endurance racing but would'nt knock those who love that....we pick what meetings we do throughout the year..this is no different.,,byron
Old 2 Jul 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1952913)   #37
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Can't argue with that Woolley. good point well made.

(edit)

Hi Byron, didn't see you there! Each to their own as you say.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1952916)   #38
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flags
this will be my 20th BGP,marshalling,i love it and wont let any detractors put me off...it's a matter of choice...i hate endurance racing but would'nt knock those who love that....we pick what meetings we do throughout the year..this is no different.,,byron
Hi byron, another point well made.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 22:55 (Ref:1952917)   #39
flags
Racer

Wales
aberdare.south wales
flags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
evening stiggy....
Old 3 Jul 2007, 00:26 (Ref:1952956)   #40
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Small possible spanner.

Spoke to MSI today - They say programme is unchanged - on post 8.55 on Friday - Historic practice has not changed....

Oh, reason for phone call, there is a signing on slot on Friday for incident marshalls - 07.15 - 07.30.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 12:55 (Ref:1953385)   #41
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Agree entirely. Me, I prefer the endurance. Actually, one of the best bits of doing the GP was joining in one of your sing-a-long sessions a few years back. However, we're wandering off topic, so back to the subject.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1953422)   #42
flatbroke
Racer

flatbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the garages will be open at that time on a friday evening .

Friday can be a very late night for most teams these days after the engine rule changes.

Good place to take some pictures is at the FIA flat patch all the cars will go down there and teams only have ten mins per car so lots of them are parked outside waiting for there turn.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 22:28 (Ref:1953776)   #43
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
......i hate endurance ........

Both Ewenice and Baaarbara said you couldn't last very long
Old 4 Jul 2007, 10:34 (Ref:1954062)   #44
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Stone-kicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is anyone going to lay bets on how many garages will be open without being asked?
None, they'll all be closed to keep the rain and hail out
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:21 (Ref:1954090)   #45
Westysprinter
Racer

England
Washington
Westysprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

So unless I have missed a point, no one will be doing the pitlane walkabout, as we dont sign on till 7:00 (from poor memory ) hence no tabbards
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1954111)   #46
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westysprinter
So unless I have missed a point, no one will be doing the pitlane walkabout, as we dont sign on till 7:00 (from poor memory ) hence no tabbards
Afraid you have missed it!!!!!!

Your sign-on - Friday morning

Pitlane walkabout - Friday EVENING!!!!!!!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1954112)   #47
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westysprinter
sign on is Thursday evening and the pitlane walkabout is Friday
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:43 (Ref:1954118)   #48
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
and if the rain continues, it'll be the pit lane wade about!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 12:42 (Ref:1954179)   #49
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
it'll be the pit lane wade about!

or will it be a swim about
Old 4 Jul 2007, 14:08 (Ref:1954263)   #50
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This whole thread has sunk