Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Jan 2015, 20:54 (Ref:3492577)   #26
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
There should be standard approved flags supplied at all circuits!
I agree.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 21:20 (Ref:3492587)   #27
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Whilst I commend those who use their own flags, why should that be necessary?

There should be standard approved flags supplied at all circuits!
There are...but since the standard only gives a minimum size not a maximum and says nothing about material or weight or how often they're washed it doesn't really help a lot.

The circuit flags are o.k. if you only occasionally do any flagging but since that's about all I do I'd rather not rely on them. My own flags are easier to see and easier to use.

The travelling and other costs are expensive enough that buying a set of flags every decade or so makes no practical difference to the cost of my marshalling. It's still about my cheapest hobby .

Steve
Old 13 Jan 2015, 23:05 (Ref:3492618)   #28
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Circuit flags *can* be perfectly alright, but they get abused (in my experience) and it can be a lottery if you get a good set.

Naming no names whatsoever, the circuits I flag at most frequently vary in flag quality immensely, sometimes from post to post.

Hence I now have a set of them made by someone mentioned up thread, and rather nice they are too.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 23:10 (Ref:3492620)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was seriously thinking of finally getting my own, and then they changed the regs so I'm doing less flagging. Not to mention the real possibility of two yellows not being enough...
Old 14 Jan 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3492788)   #30
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Not to mention the real possibility of two yellows not being enough...
So one in each hand, and one up your ****

Hang on, won't that mean you have your back to the racing?

But don't care.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 22:17 (Ref:3495763)   #31
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
So long as the flags are the right size and a suitable colour any material will be OK. I have flags made from a light, satin-type material because they are light and dry quickly but use whatever you feel comfortable with. Some people use rip stop nylon but I find it a bit inflexible.
Yes 'rip-stop' is a bit inflexible when first used but not after a while when its been well used and 'worn in' !!! personally I prefer rip-stop because a; it doesnt rip! and b; it doesnt hold water so always lightweight to use ( its used in sails for that reason!)
Old 14 Aug 2016, 18:32 (Ref:3665643)   #32
Liddy
Rookie

Liddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Hi, I make flags; the choice of material is entirely up to you. Remember though you could be waving a flag for a considerable period of time in very adverse weather, be it hot, cold, wet or windy so if the material is not suitable for the conditions you are going to make life difficult for yourself. Too light and they won't fly properly, too heavy your arm will soon tell you, not suitable for the weather = too heavy.
There is no MSA regulation or guidance on colour codes, unlike the FIA, however you will find that green is very difficult to find an acceptable shade. The FIA shade of Pantone 348C is a pig to get even close to, fabric manufacturers don't seem to like the colour.
Although the MSA and FIA regulate on the minimum sizes for flags in practice the minimum size is very small in appearance when on a circuit. Make your flags to a size that is easily visible to drivers when in crap conditions but remember you have to wave them. The red flag is the one that always seems to be undersized when bought from a supplier. To MSA regs it's 75x60cms and international (FIA) it's 100x80cms. The MSA size is woeful and I have yet to see a manufactured red flag that is at least 100x80cms.

If you are interested in buying flags, drop me a PM.
Hi Ian,
Just got home from flagging at the Brands Hatch Italian Festival. I was chatting to others on the post and mentioned I was looking to buy my own set of flags. Your name came up as supplying very good flag sets. If this is correct could you let me know how I can orders a set and how much they are?
Many thanks,
Bob Lidstone