Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 24 Feb 2009, 16:19 (Ref:2403245)   #101
nyssa7
Racer

nyssa7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the suggestion might be lack of second hand market for Bambino karts - they cannot race, just used by sub-8 year olds to get a head start

Been through this, mine is 9 now and racing Honda Cadet. But as close to his 8th birthday as I could get, we were at the local indoor track for a taster.
Old 25 Feb 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2403861)   #102
tkm81
Rookie

England
Stoke-on-Trent
tkm81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get hold of Karting Magazine, they have a good for sale section at the back. Ive bought a couple of Karts from that magazine and never had any problems finding what i was looking for.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2404383)   #103
rmpoole
Rookie

rmpoole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
decided to go for a used cadet kart instead of the Bambino, the feedback I am getting on them isnt good as they seem to be very slow and he will probably grow out of it quickly. Plus I'd rather not fork out £1100 for him to say in 6 months he is bored!!!

So Im on the look out for a good starter Kart if you know of any. Ideally somewhere north of the Midlands.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2404387)   #104
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Careful if you get a Comer to get a current engine (w60 rather than an s60), also make sure the bars and pods will still be homologated if you want to step up to MSA with it. I know some of the cadet homologation runs out soon concerning bodywork and I am sure they will apply the pod bar rule to cadets eventually. If you want to race non-MSA however all that wont apply, I think theres a good non-MSA track at Strubby, thats in Lincolnshire but I expect there are others around the midlands.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2404691)   #105
rmpoole
Rookie

what is the difference between the s60 and the w60? bearing in mind he will only be starting out on this Kart then moving to something different when he turns 8 to race. The one I was looking at on ebay has an s60 engine, its several years old for about £400
Old 27 Feb 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2405401)   #106
Sideswipe
Rookie

Sideswipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If your not going to race it s60 is fine. W60 is just the newer version. Of course if you don't want to go and buy a W60 you can get your S60 converted to a w60.

http://www.karting.co.uk/MP/#099650 - thats an s60 for £125 nr Grantham

http://www.karting.co.uk/MP/#099625 - this also looks pretty good with quite a few spares

Old 25 Apr 2009, 00:49 (Ref:2448983)   #107
geoffro
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
geoffro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what kart

Hi all, I am new to karting(ex M/C) racer and want a new hobby/sport.
I want to get into karting(maybe race) but feel I would love just getting rid of frustrations over weekends.I would like a shifter kart(125) and want to possibly gear it for the longer tracks.Does anyone use their 125 on big tracks(not kart tracks) and would it still be fun with higher gearing.Where I live in S.A. they dont race 125 shifter karts anymore but I dont want that new "1 gear kart".I thought the 125 could be versatile on both(small and big) tracks.Any advice appreciated!
Old 26 Apr 2009, 18:19 (Ref:2450085)   #108
geoffro
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
geoffro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone, Anyone??!!
Old 26 Apr 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2450116)   #109
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
The karting forums on karting.co.uk and karting1.co.uk hav a lot of knowledable people on. Ask there. Adam
Old 7 Aug 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2517447)   #110
busymumoff3.5kids
Rookie

busymumoff3.5kids should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi can anyone help me get started in bambino racing

Hi i have a 6yr old boy who loves karting and any motor sport. He wants to get into bambino karting but i don't know where to start. We live in manchester and the tracks close to here have said he has to be 8. Does anyone have any info that could help. Thanks
Old 11 Aug 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2519495)   #111
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymumoff3.5kids View Post
Hi i have a 6yr old boy who loves karting and any motor sport. He wants to get into bambino karting but i don't know where to start. We live in manchester and the tracks close to here have said he has to be 8. Does anyone have any info that could help. Thanks
Yes. Tell the kid he is 8 if asked. And tell the kart track he is 8. Problem solved to give him a taster!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 23:40 (Ref:2524051)   #112
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that you would be better off asking the circuit for some 1 to 1 intuition if under the required age, most of them should be happy to help out, though it will cost you more.
Old 28 Aug 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2530116)   #113
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NORTH WEST HELP

"Hi i have a 6yr old boy who loves karting and any motor sport. He wants to get into bambino karting but i don't know where to start. We live in manchester and the tracks close to here have said he has to be 8. Does anyone have any info that could help. Thanks "

Im based 45 mins from wigan/gyg and near hooton, 3 tracks in the north west, the track at wigan(3 sisters) will not allow non msa 8+ kids go on track however the other 2 will. I have been involved with the development of 5-12 year olds for the past 2 years and can give you any advise you may want

PM me.

cheers

Last edited by ghinzani; 28 Aug 2009 at 21:50. Reason: Use of email address instead of PM
Old 17 Sep 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2542771)   #114
rmpoole
Rookie

beginners advice needed

I now have my 7 year old up and running in a Honda 160 cadet but other than putting him on the track, I know very little about set up. do's and donts, parts and tools to buy etc... He loves the sport so am keen to learn more to keep him interested. Are there any books or courses you can get to learn this stuff? Or is it just trial and error?
Old 12 Oct 2009, 23:40 (Ref:2560241)   #115
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You really need to drag yourself along to your local circuit to attend a club meeting, whilst there you can ask others on how to start, set up needs etc.

Regarding Cadets, Buckmore Park in Kent is hosting the 'O' plate this weekend 17-18th Oct, this would be the ideal place to start collecting that much needed information .
Old 13 Oct 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2560449)   #116
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest as a 7 year old miles is all he wants to get under his belt. When he has got his confidence together then start playing with things like pressures and moving the wheels in and out. See if he can spot the difference and see what the laptimes say. But at the moment its miles, and nailing that throttle that count.
Old 13 Oct 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2560450)   #117
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Oh and as I recall you are up in Geordie land arent you? Check out your local tracks and ask the parents and kids there - EVERYONE in karting has an opinion, thats one thing thats not in short supply. Mind you wheter they are all correct is another matter...
Old 12 Nov 2009, 12:23 (Ref:2580726)   #118
David Brand
Rookie

David Brand should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.kracer.com.au/

THE best guide to kart setup I've seen.
Old 2 May 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2683220)   #119
stackhouse
Rookie

stackhouse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
help needed to get started

Hi there

i have been given a mari 2002 chassis from my brother in law, but as i no very little about karting the route i have chosen to take is to build one by my self, this way i know how the kart is built and i will no the set ups myself, but looking around on a few part shops i am unsure on how i know what i need and what sizes of them i need is there any way that i can find set up plans or any guides for this chassis.

sorry about being a total newbie and possibly leaving you all thinking why am i bothering but hope i can find some help here

Thanks in advance peeps

Simon
Old 3 May 2010, 03:16 (Ref:2683572)   #120
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Depends if you want to race it or just test it? If its 2002 it may no longer be legal to race at MSA level. Also do you have an engine for it? I'm guessing its a 2 stroke so Rotax Max or TKM would probably be the likely engine. Get some pics up here and also let us know where you are based, then we can help further - also if you want to race or just test it.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2780775)   #121
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Funnily enough I saw one of my old Tonykarts the other day, still running after I sold it 6 years ago and it was old then!
Old 26 Oct 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2780891)   #122
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Funnily enough I saw one of my old Tonykarts the other day, still running after I sold it 6 years ago and it was old then!
Not sure a modern Tony would last that long without chassis protectors
Old 26 Oct 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2780909)   #123
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Not sure a modern Tony would last that long without chassis protectors
Haha!

I've just spent the evening straightening someone's prokart, damn they build them strong!
Old 27 Oct 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2781243)   #124
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Haha!

I've just spent the evening straightening someone's prokart, damn they build them strong!
They're built to be bashed I think. Made like tanks... and weigh like them too.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 05:27 (Ref:2855199)   #125
xlDashlx
Rookie

xlDashlx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wanna start karting!

hey guys, just wondering first off how much will it cost to actually start karting for fun, going to open days and maybe everntually competing. not planning to go hard out...im a 2nd year apprentice earning around 400aus a week if that helps at all.

Im also from Sydney Australia as well..

i know gear cost quite a bit but i do already have a helmet which i use on my bike.

ive been looking at karts on ebay going for under 1g, i dont really know specs and stuff about go karts but i know they would be as fast as eastern creeks karts, if anyone could tell me how much roughly hp a kart has or needs to race please lemme know.

please lemme know how much tyres, repairing and stuff costs roughly doesnt have to be accurate im not gonna be racing so wont have to get new stuff every week.

i think i just have f1 fever...cheers!