Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 12 May 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2200242)   #51
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hardly any winglets at all, and the bargeboards are small and simple. Don't think they're too bad...

Overall, quite a nice car - basically a mid-2000s F1 car without as much aero, but if it races well then what it looks like is secondary.
Old 12 May 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2200243)   #52
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
Bye Bye A1

I knew they were basing it off the F2004 but i'd hoped they'd make it unique enough to be exciting. They haven't. It looks just like a pigging GP2 car. I still don't see what's wrong with the current chassis, other than Ferrari didn't design it...

Now it's just like every other flipping single seater :/
It doesn't look much like a GP2 car to be honest... not nearly as much aero stuff and the shape is quite different.

I'm pleased that the car looks more like an F1 car... the old one was slightly odd looking, despite being very reliable. The new A1 car isn't really exciting, but it is what I was expecting...
Old 12 May 2008, 17:02 (Ref:2200289)   #53
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrmanningjarv
I'm pleased that the car looks more like an F1 car... the old one was slightly odd looking, despite being very reliable. The new A1 car isn't really exciting, but it is what I was expecting...
It looks like a 2004 F1 car. It won't look much like a 2009 F1 car -- it'll suddenly look very 'old hat' when the cars to the '09 rules break cover in the middle of the new A1 car's first season. This might not be as much of a problem in the 'developing markets' that A1 races in but I can't see it being a big hit in the countries with a more established racing culture. "Oh - they're racing detuned old F1 cars. Isn't that like EuroBOSS?"
Old 12 May 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2200296)   #54
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 is all about close racing and overtaking. So what makes anyone think a 2004 F1 car is going to help that? For years they've been complaining you can't overtake or follow another F1 car closely, so why ruin whats been a great formula so far? I've followed A1 religiously since it started and love the fact its something different in single seaters, unlike the dullard cars that are F3, F3 euro, F3 asia, Gp2, formula renault, formula bmw and every other single seater out there. They were unique, both in sound and looks and what made it appeal to me in the first place. That, that "thing" they've released just melts in with all the other formula, of which F1 is king and A1 will melt behind.

And does anyone honestly think Ferrari will put as much if not more effort in to their A1 cars as they do F1? By taking a 4 yr old car as a basis lacks enthusiasm and imagination, and the engine guys are only building their own 'cos the F1 engine guys now have sod all to do thanks to the engine freeze in F1. I'll be ecstatic to be proven wrong, but i'm not holdihng my breath...
Old 12 May 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2200343)   #55
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
The racing will be closer than in F1, as the car lacks any sidepod appendages while the 2004 Ferrari had a few (despite being a lot less advanced than nowadays).

As for the car looking out of date in a year or so... maybe it will do so, but the current/old car doesn't exactly look state of the art or new. Besides, the GP2 car and the WSR car will be in the same boat so it's not just A1GP.
Old 12 May 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2200561)   #56
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I'm concerned, I'm pleased to hear of the 2004 Ferrari. It's not a bad car to start with and it's a good base to start development. I also think it's a systematic approach at this endeavor. I think Ferrari wants to know how all the technical aspects will work out for A1GP, from the chassis manufacturer to the organizing. I think it's a bit of a feeling out process for everyone involved.
Old 12 May 2008, 23:12 (Ref:2200586)   #57
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider
...now, will Team Italy be bold and run the Ferrari all in red!?
Uh uh Spider, Canada.

Dibs...called it.
Old 13 May 2008, 00:45 (Ref:2200622)   #58
jackschmidt
Racer

How about a comparison?

Not exactly the same, I reckon.

Last edited by jackschmidt; 13 May 2008 at 00:53.
Old 13 May 2008, 05:09 (Ref:2200696)   #59
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks similar enough to face a PR issue of people saying it's just an old F1 car.

It is a bit underwhelming in my opinion. I thought they would have kept the basic shape as the old car a bit more in order to keep the current graphics that have been used for logos and on merchandise etc to date.

It will look better with team liveries on it I guess, and for me the most important thing is that we still get close racing and overtaking when we turn up at Mugello in September.
Old 13 May 2008, 07:18 (Ref:2200743)   #60
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A picture says a thousand words - no imagination what so ever :/

Other than the front wing, i really don't see anything different. Less front aero will mean it needs more mechanical grip, so in theory that should be easier to race close behind another car, but where's the WOW factor of that car?

Gutted.
Old 13 May 2008, 07:40 (Ref:2200766)   #61
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon it will be more exciting than we're giving it credit for.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head Kiwi3, they will want people to buy all-new merchandise, complete with 'powered by Ferrari' on it. It makes commercial sense, as i'm sure Ferrari are charging A1 a fair whack for their services.

The more i think about it, the more i'm sure it will be a good thing. Watching a pack of 26 mini-F1 cars, powered by a (hopefully) gorgeous sounding Ferrari engine, flying around Brands next year will be quite a sight.

Plus, the format clearly appeals to the public, but the current generation of cars put some people off. Personally, i loved the A1 car, but for the series to go up to the next level it perhaps needs a car like the new generation model.

In a way though, i've loved it how A1 has ruffled feathers in traditional motorsport circles, with the looks of the old car being part of that reason. Certain dullard traditionalists tipped it to fail and the fact it's continued to grow is highly amusing.

I'm looking forward to seeing the leaked pictures this Friday...
Old 13 May 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2200835)   #62
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the look of the new car, it harks back to when F1 cars used to be good looking, and given that most people hate modern F1 cars, thats gotta be a good thing. After all, F1 will be going back to something similar next year, and without traction control and the re-introduction of slicks, it seems to me like they are now copying A1.

As for the car loosing its crazy features, and very individual look; well the old car served its purpose. It was visualy striking enough to get people interested in the series, and provided good close racing, which is what the fans want. Its been reliable, and reasonably cheap to run, meaning A1 can use money more effeciently.
But now 3 years down the line, if A1 is to continue to move forward, they need to attract more fans. And what better way to do that, than to take a 'Ferrari F1 car' in national colours, to countries unvisted by F1.
Ok the car might not be what the hardened A1 fans wanted to particularly see, but for the future of the series, it is definately a step in the right direction. And don't forget, the Ferrari deal is for 6 years. Which means we will have a different car in 3 years time, which could be of any design, maybe by then, A1 will have enough fans etc to be able to do its own thing again.
Old 13 May 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2200843)   #63
jackschmidt
Racer

I find it funny that out of all the motorsport forums I go to that mention this stuff, this forum is one of the few that harp against it but I suppose that's a completely different discussion.

Now, to be fair with them, it's the first season and they intend to bring out a good solid car. With no additional information about what the car is and assuming that for most of the season the car is actually in limbo, the F2004 is a very good car to use as a base. Furthermore, since the Ferrari deal started officially in 2008, I'd really have to say there's little time to produce an entirely radical car with a very new design. What is written about the car concept is a bridge F2004/F2005 chassis work with a Ferrari GT2 engine. No radical changes are going to happen.

That doesn't mean the car won't change though. There's still quite a few more months before the actual official car testing. Car unveilings can come and go, as far as I'm concerned and there could be changes introduced from now to the point it hits the track. Perhaps not radical enough to alleviate concerns that "Hey, it's an old car", but I'd say that the fine and minute changes that are going to happen to this car is going to be for the better.

I don't see bad PR on the F2004 copied design. The F2004 brought a pretty boring season in F1 where Schumi owned them all. Having 22 (or so) of these cars on the grid is going to be pure havoc.
Old 13 May 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2200854)   #64
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschmidt
Having 22 (or so) of these cars on the grid is going to be pure havoc.
And people will love it, a lot more than watching an F1 procession.

Also, Expect to see about 25 cars...
Old 13 May 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2200881)   #65
jackschmidt
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave not neil
And people will love it, a lot more than watching an F1 procession.

Also, Expect to see about 25 cars...
Yeah, I agree and on a platform of equal equipment, race action is as much the driver as it is the car. The aero isn't likely going to ruin slip streaming, so I think it's going to have some close racing.
Old 13 May 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2201024)   #66
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
But for as many people out there that love Ferrari (and road car wise, i am one of them) there are just as many that hate them. The Lola / Zytek combo was to a large extent immune from those kind of feelings, whereas the Ferrari link in some cases is a very good thing, and in others not. I know at least one person that is ditching A1 next year simply because they don't like Ferrari. Yeah, they are that bad!
Old 13 May 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2201039)   #67
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know at least one person that is ditching A1 next year simply because they don't like Ferrari. Yeah, they are that bad!
His loss!

I am slightly suprised that the outline shape of the old car was not kept. Such as the shape of the rear wing and the front wing, as well as the profile of the engine cover. For me they were the 3 things that made the car stand out to any other single seater. They also played a major part in the A1GP logo.

25 of these cars round Brands will be absolutely awesome. I hope they can still overtake one another in them though - Brands is not the widest of tracks.

I assume the powerboost idea is being kept?
Old 13 May 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2201043)   #68
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I know at least one person that is ditching A1 next year simply because they don't like Ferrari.
So just tell 'em it's a FIAT with a fancy badge!
Old 13 May 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2201162)   #69
Clunk or Zilly
Rookie

Scotland
Mornington Crescent
Clunk or Zilly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A "Ferrari assisted" new car appears in a very McLaren-esque orange launch colour scheme. Has someone at Fiat finally developed a sense of humour ?? Elegant looking car never the less...
Old 13 May 2008, 18:17 (Ref:2201401)   #70
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
Brands is not the widest of tracks.
yeah don't i know it, damn that Aus / Pak incident woke us up!
Old 13 May 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2201425)   #71
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know its bigger than the F2004 so bigger drivers like me can fit in it
Old 13 May 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2201429)   #72
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not the most thrilling looking car I have to say.

Personally I just hope it races as effectively as the old car did. Please, please, please let this be the case.
Old 13 May 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2201504)   #73
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London

I have used Paint Shop Pro to put the A1 Team GBR livery (with a few changes - red outlines on the front wing endplates, blue flap on the front wing endplates, plain white rear wing) on the new car... I think it looks more interesting in livery.

Quote:
I hope they can still overtake one another in them though - Brands is not the widest of tracks.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hardly any overtaking has happened at Brands in the current cars... so if the new cars can't overtake at Brands, it's not too bad.
Old 13 May 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2201648)   #74
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wow, nice addition of a livery. That must have taken you a while.

I think it would look better without an orange reflection though
Old 14 May 2008, 00:58 (Ref:2201693)   #75
jackschmidt
Racer

Boy, those cars sure look more modern that those A1GP cars back in '73.