Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 10 Nov 2008, 20:20 (Ref:2332669)   #1
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surfers Paradise 2009

Word from the bunker is that A1GP will take over from IRL as the feature open wheeler event at the annual October meeting as of next year.
TG wanted a date change and more money, and the Qld government asn't prepared to give him either.
A1GP om the coast will be something of a homecoming for Allan Jones I guess.
Sounds like a good deal to me, wider TV audiences for the Gold Coast promo, and we get tp watch Ferraris instead of Dallaras.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 20:55 (Ref:2332692)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A1 GP at Surfers Paradise would be fantastic news for the series as well as for the circuit itself. The IRL put on a good show this year yes, but well its definately more of a american series than Champcar ever was and so perhaps the interests of the IRL are better represented in the US and perhaps Canada.

A1 GP on the other hand is much more of a world series which allready runs on some of the best circuits in the world and Surfers Paradise is in my opinion up amongst there with some of the best street circuits in the world and would definately be in keeping with the sort of image the A1 GP organisers are keen to promote.

Fingers crossed this turns out to be more than just rumor.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2332775)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's being reported in the Australian press now; the deal is for five years from next October, due to be officially announced this week.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2332845)   #4
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://news.theage.com.au/national/g...1111-5lx1.html
Old 11 Nov 2008, 03:02 (Ref:2332878)   #5
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh brilliant!!! That will be an amazing event!
Old 11 Nov 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2332913)   #6
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wooooo! I live in Surfers Paradise and i go to the races every year ever since i was 2 months old! I loved the IRL but A1GP will be heeps better! Cant wait!
Old 11 Nov 2008, 08:16 (Ref:2332941)   #7
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WooHoo! This is going to be awesome!
Old 11 Nov 2008, 08:21 (Ref:2332945)   #8
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic news for A1GP, Surfers is quite an event!
Old 11 Nov 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2332981)   #9
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.a1gp.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?newsId=42473
Old 11 Nov 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2333052)   #10
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the situation with V8 supercars... Programming etc...I think they are also there, Will V8's be support or equal status??? I imagine they willl support but can that be confirmed...

Great news, these are the sort of high profile events A1 needs to succeed.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2333096)   #11
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
A1GP back in Oz, A1GP with a famous high-profile event - about time we had some good news for the series after all the recent doom and gloom!
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2333111)   #12
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak
What is the situation with V8 supercars... Programming etc...I think they are also there, Will V8's be support or equal status??? I imagine they willl support but can that be confirmed...

Great news, these are the sort of high profile events A1 needs to succeed.
It would be insulting if V8's are not a support race. I know it's huge in Australia but A1GP is a global series with top drivers that will be promoting Australian tourism around the world.

It's is great news, and makes me wonder if all the recent doom and gloom has been a bit unjustified. I know the delay with the car was disappointing but as with Ferrari, I am sure the Queensland Govt. would have done some homework on A1GP's financial background before agreeing such a long term deal.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2333176)   #13
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
It would be insulting if V8's are not a support race. I know it's huge in Australia but A1GP is a global series with top drivers that will be promoting Australian tourism around the world.

It's is great news, and makes me wonder if all the recent doom and gloom has been a bit unjustified. I know the delay with the car was disappointing but as with Ferrari, I am sure the Queensland Govt. would have done some homework on A1GP's financial background before agreeing such a long term deal.
Kiwi. I agree totally. However in past V8 Supercars have declined support status to F1, this year being paid a lot of money to support. They were paid as the year they ran without V8's the attendance figures did not make the event viable. Not sure of their attitude to A1, but would image they will be looking for a lot of money(which I hope Queensland Govt would pay). Would be very good if they were there as it would help to promote formula cars in OZ.. ie Clipsal V8 round attracts loads more fans than Aust GP.(maybe double!)
Old 11 Nov 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2333331)   #14
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As far as billing goes it will be equal status. The Taxis get the crowd, like it or not. The only debate in the bunker was whether to run the event as a stand alone V8SC with no supporting open wheelers. That was a no go as it would not hava attracted international TV, jut the same as running A1GP without the V8s would not attract the local attendance.
They support each other, let's leave it at that and hope the Ferrari racing quickly gets as close as the zytecs were.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 02:20 (Ref:2333512)   #15
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony
As far as billing goes it will be equal status. The Taxis get the crowd, like it or not. The only debate in the bunker was whether to run the event as a stand alone V8SC with no supporting open wheelers. That was a no go as it would not hava attracted international TV, jut the same as running A1GP without the V8s would not attract the local attendance.
They support each other, let's leave it at that and hope the Ferrari racing quickly gets as close as the zytecs were.
Yeah good points.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 08:34 (Ref:2333583)   #16
Mak
Veteran

Wonder about programming! Maybe a day + night race meeting. Would that be cost effective? Hope A1 and V8 are flexible with their timetables..
Old 12 Nov 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2333961)   #17
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak
Wonder about programming! Maybe a day + night race meeting. Would that be cost effective? Hope A1 and V8 are flexible with their timetables..

Most of all, I hope the local broadcaster of V8 racing is scrambling to secure the rights to A1 so that the V8's can a) show up and b) have something worth racing for.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 01:26 (Ref:2334012)   #18
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whether the 7 network wants/gets rights to A1 is irrelevant.This year ESPN had Australian rights to Indycar series however the Surfers race was still shown on 7.As for the programming of the meeting V8 Supercars announced in September that at Surfers in 2009 they were moving from a 3 race format to a 2 race format(each race 200k's).Therefore they will run the first race on Saturday after A1 qualifying.On Sunday they will either start A1 relatively early (9am sprint) and run the V8 race after the feature or run the V8 race between the sprint and feature.I think the first scenario is probably more likely.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 06:36 (Ref:2334069)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I agree, we would have the same scenario with Germany and the DTM if the DTM was going to race on the same weekend as A1 GP or in say Japan where Super GT might race alongside A1. Both are national touring/GT car series and are very big in their own countries, outside however nobody really cares about what is going on with them especially when comparing to a major international series such A1 GP/F1/MotoGP/LMS etc. IMO of course.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2334081)   #20
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
I agree, we would have the same scenario with Germany and the DTM if the DTM was going to race on the same weekend as A1 GP or in say Japan where Super GT might race alongside A1. Both are national touring/GT car series and are very big in their own countries, outside however nobody really cares about what is going on with them especially when comparing to a major international series such A1 GP/F1/MotoGP/LMS etc. IMO of course.
It probably would have been a good model to follow actually, instead of going it alone. Joint meeting with ALMS in USA (stand alone Laguna Seca event in season one was a disaster), Super GT in Japan etc, would mean a lot more people would have been exposed to A1GP a lot earlier.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2334093)   #21
IronLion
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
IronLion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this news is great. If anything it will bring some new people to the race and help build an Australian A1gp fan base. As much as I love Indy car im really excited about this.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2334116)   #22
Mak
Veteran

Lets hope egos don't get in the way of this.. It could be a major event for both A1GP and V8's if they are both a little flexible.. A platform for A1 to gain exposure in front of OZ huge tin top fanatics, and a new widow for V8's to display their exciting series to the world..Often these ideas are spoilt but the one or both of the parties wanting to have everthing their way. Its needs both to work together to make the continued running at this high profile location viable.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2334158)   #23
Mak
Veteran

Maybe if this works they could carry the relationship further with joint efforts for NZ (Wellington) and an Asian(Indoneasian street)race in the future.. Makes it all more finacially viable
Old 13 Nov 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2334344)   #24
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
It probably would have been a good model to follow actually, instead of going it alone. Joint meeting with ALMS in USA (stand alone Laguna Seca event in season one was a disaster), Super GT in Japan etc, would mean a lot more people would have been exposed to A1GP a lot earlier.
Oh I agree, my point was just that the series shoudnt be co headlining the weekend, but rather act as a support race which it undoubtedly is really. A1 GP is turning into a major international series, V8 supercars is just another national touring car series much like the BTCC/DTM/STCC etc.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2334429)   #25
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I'd be willing to say the A1 races are the support category for the V8's.