Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Oct 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1114236)   #1
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
In the pit lane, Cheshire
pit bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a fantastic day

I have just done the FRCT course at Angelsey today, I initially was not looking forward to this, due to the weather forcast, and as expected it was chucking it down, and the high winds coming in off the irish sea, After going out with the instructors in the saloon car (Ford Puma, which are skitish in the wet) Excellent instruction from Ray Grimes (can`t thank him enough), It was then time to go out in the FF1600 singel seater 4 at a time plus pace car, driven by Tom champion, I earnt pole position in car No. 7 (lucky not this time) After getting a good start keeping behind pace car (which was also another FF1600) I developed a problem, the car kept cutting out, so had to retire, turns out it was so wet that there was an electrical problem, so Ian Smith said that I would be able to have another go later, after my 1st session they decided to bring all the car into the dry,( I end up doing marshal duties by helping pushing the cars into the garage ) when the cars were dryed and the set up changed cause everyone (except me) was spining off all over the place, I was able to go out with the session restarted, in NO. 7 again, kept my pole position and with the conditons getting worse I managed to keep pace with Tom Champion and also lap my fellow trainnees, to say I enjoyed it lousy weather and all, is an understatment, I was FANTASTIC, I would advise any marshall, to do this course, I have a far better undestanding of what a driver goes through in apalling conditions, and how theres a change that they may not see a flag, because half the time I couldn`t see the front of my car, let alone the track, A BIG THANKS to all the Instructors and staff at Trac Mon
Old 3 Oct 2004, 20:00 (Ref:1114249)   #2
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Tony. Glad you enjoyed it.
That's all the bad weather out of the way now, so pack the sun factor for 5th December.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 22:48 (Ref:1114399)   #3
tbg63
Rookie

United Kingdom
Camberley, Surrey
tbg63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent Day Tony and like your comments about appreciating the difficulties drivers may face in adverse conditions. Maybe, if a block booking was organised, a discount could be arranged for registered Marshal's so we could all do the same!!!
Old 3 Oct 2004, 23:14 (Ref:1114412)   #4
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by tbg63
Excellent Day Tony and like your comments about appreciating the difficulties drivers may face in adverse conditions. Maybe, if a block booking was organised, a discount could be arranged for registered Marshal's so we could all do the same!!!
I'll put the idea to the boss man [Richard Peacock]. It sounds an excellent idea.

Edited to add that :- Marshals would get just as much 'insight' without needing adverse conditions.

Last edited by diz; 3 Oct 2004 at 23:16.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 06:52 (Ref:1114581)   #5
Jan Gower
Racer

Jan Gower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This would be a fantastic idea as our FF guys have been out marshaling with us we could do some 'role reversal' too! Tony glad you had a great day.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 06:52 (Ref:1114582)   #6
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did one of Richards schools about 20 years ago, then helped Malcolm a few times, and got to drive the cars, from time to time. It gave me a great insight into the drivers point of view, along with a lot of fun. I would reccomend this to all.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 07:03 (Ref:1114589)   #7
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be up for that. Driving the circuit to get to post gives you a little tiny idea of what it's like, but nothing would compare to scraping your backside along the ground in an FF1600!!
Old 4 Oct 2004, 08:31 (Ref:1114634)   #8
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by jim69
I did one of Richards schools about 20 years ago, then helped Malcolm a few times, and got to drive the cars, from time to time. It gave me a great insight into the drivers point of view, along with a lot of fun. I would reccomend this to all.
Ah, you are that Jim then.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1114813)   #9
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom

Rain and wind don`t help photos taken from a mobile, well sick cause I forgot my proper camera. Oh well
Old 4 Oct 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1115118)   #10
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm curious, did you wear your marshal overalls?!!!
Old 4 Oct 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1115126)   #11
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Hepatic
i'm curious, did you wear your marshal overalls?!!!
Would I wear anything else of course i did

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 4 Oct 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1115130)   #12
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
I will shortly be posting a thread about a - Marshals Only - Race School Experience Day.

Stay tuned to Ten Tenths
Old 4 Oct 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1115133)   #13
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
I will shortly be posting a thread about a - Marshals Only - Race School Experience Day.

Stay tuned to Ten Tenths
Nice one Ian, can`t wait to have another go

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 5 Oct 2004, 08:29 (Ref:1115629)   #14
Jan Gower
Racer

Jan Gower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is always something I have wanted to do. Well done Pit Bull for starting something so 'beneficial'
Old 5 Oct 2004, 14:53 (Ref:1115996)   #15
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Jan Gower
It is always something I have wanted to do. Well done Pit Bull for starting something so 'beneficial'
Thanx Jan, so long as I don`t convert too many marshals to get their race licence and go to the dark side