Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 May 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3072688)   #26
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm also sad about plates that were sold "just before their time".

For example, My initials are GMD, or GM, depending on if you take MacDonald as MD or just M.

My father had the same initials.

He had GM 9445, gave it away when he sold the car, perhaps if he'd waited until the 944S had come on the scene.......
Old 11 May 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3072697)   #27
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
It's only a petty crime (and so were some of Tom's records - groan)
I was on your side ..... until that remark.

I happen to like Tom Petty ....... but we're now way off thread!
Old 11 May 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3072702)   #28
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Not really YOU Tim ........ but I could see it on Uncle Eric's car?
I've already got a cherished plate and all it does is cost me £25 a year to keep it on retention.
Old 11 May 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3072704)   #29
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I was on your side ..... until that remark.

I happen to like Tom Petty ....... but we're now way off thread!

So do I really, just couldn't resist it. I thought about the "petty" crime being when the NASCAR family built the 7/8th size car, but decided against it.

I sort of hoped I'd understood the ethos of the thread; I'll let you know of the next dire example I see.Meanwhile I've got nothing against things like the 944S suggestion - but on another "certain" forum they would call it chav.
Old 11 May 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3072705)   #30
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Meanwhile I've got nothing against things like the 944S suggestion - but on another "certain" forum they would call it chav.
Chav or not, I'm sure he could have got a good price for the plate as there would be a chav/ned/yobbo somewhere with a 944S with the initials GM
Old 12 May 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3073006)   #31
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Last night I saw a Touareg with L4 44RON, presumably his forename or surname is Aaron.

Not only is the spacing illegal, but the font had been printed in a squashed format so that the number 4s looked more like an A.

That got me thinking (Yes, my life really is that boring) about the size of lettering on plates. I believe that there is a recommended size, and also minimum sizes for depth and width. When Alfa Romeo regenerated their range with the 156 and 147 they deliberately left the position for the front plate where it would have been on their 50s models like the Giulietta.

Many owners have had small "Italian-style" plates fitted, but are they legal?
Old 12 May 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3073199)   #32
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That got me thinking (Yes, my life really is that boring) about the size of lettering on plates. I believe that there is a recommended size, and also minimum sizes for depth and width. When Alfa Romeo regenerated their range with the 156 and 147 they deliberately left the position for the front plate where it would have been on their 50s models like the Giulietta.

Many owners have had small "Italian-style" plates fitted, but are they legal?
See http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/m...lets/V796.ashx
The size of the letters and the font used is now a legal requirement.

Not sure how big the Italian plates are but in theory a UK plate cut to that size could still be legal providing you used the correct font and maintained the minimum margins.
Old 12 May 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3073344)   #33
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I brought an Anglia off of an old lady to make into a race car with the reg number ROY 1E and although I still have the original log book I never bothered to register it in my name.
Years later when plate numbers started to go silly I tried to get it from DVLA only to find that they had flogged it,
My old man had an E93a "puddle-jumper" Prefect with the reg NKP 1 back in the early 60s and I remember him taking it to the local scrap yard and getting five quid for it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 May 2012, 06:40 (Ref:3073457)   #34
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
My Mk2 Jag has its original registration number DAK6 etched on it's windows (as was popular at one time) but that's not the registration now on the car. Seems it was sold in the '90s. Just out of interest I looked it up to see if it could be bought and how much it would cost to re-unite it with the car. Indeed it is available.... for about £8.5k!!!

Madness......
Old 13 May 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3073520)   #35
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
My brother had an Anglebox in the late 60s with the reg 2 AOL, how much would that be worth to the right people now?
Old 13 May 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3073558)   #36
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
I have to say that these last few posts have me thinking.How society has changed.

Just a few decades ago (like yesterday to me!) nobody seemed to have any interest in the "plate" business. Now they're worth a small fortune - presumably this reflects how we have all become self-oriented and want to waste (or otherwise, according to taste) our cash on fripperies/assets.

I suppose a sociologist would have the answer.
Old 13 May 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3073569)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Any guys making these plates beware! I used to do them all but not anymore. I got a letter from DVLA warning me the fine for supplying such plates is £2500 plus confiscation of all equipment used for manufacture. However a company I think in the Luton area got done the other day and the fine goes onto 6 figures I will try to find the article so all you little smart arses selling them at shows look over yer shoulder!
Old 13 May 2012, 10:53 (Ref:3073573)   #38
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
I have to say that these last few posts have me thinking.How society has changed.

Just a few decades ago (like yesterday to me!) nobody seemed to have any interest in the "plate" business. Now they're worth a small fortune - presumably this reflects how we have all become self-oriented and want to waste (or otherwise, according to taste) our cash on fripperies/assets.

I suppose a sociologist would have the answer.
I don't think things have changed that much, it was a fairly big business when my dad bought a couple of plates in the early 70s, this was turned into a national industry when the DVLA or whatever it was then cottoned on to it later that decade and the govt realised there was money to be made from cherished plates.
He paid £25 for one which was his company's initials and a few weeks later he paid £85 for his own initials which at the time was a fair old amount of cash, we still have both plates on retention and although I have no desire to use them I wouldn't bother selling them unless I needed the money.
Old 13 May 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3073579)   #39
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I could be yours Tim !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 May 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3073580)   #40
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Good point about the DVLA sales. The hypocrisy beggars belief - one Govt. department sells them knowing that they might well be "butchered" to suit the purchaser, and then sit back whilst the police (also Govt.) duly fine the users for road Traffic offences.

After the sales, do the DVLA send out a leaflet setting out the "dos and don'ts" of "amending" the newly-purchased plate? Or do they care?
Old 13 May 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3073585)   #41
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Any guys making these plates beware! I used to do them all but not anymore. I got a letter from DVLA warning me the fine for supplying such plates is £2500 plus confiscation of all equipment used for manufacture. However a company I think in the Luton area got done the other day and the fine goes onto 6 figures I will try to find the article so all you little smart arses selling them at shows look over yer shoulder!
I don't quite understand that (but then I don't understand very much in life!).
There are companies that freely advertise and make 'show plates' which have anything you want on them including dodgy spacing.
How does that work then?
Old 13 May 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3073590)   #42
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
I don't quite understand that (but then I don't understand very much in life!).
There are companies that freely advertise and make 'show plates' which have anything you want on them including dodgy spacing.
How does that work then?
You just velcro them on for the day so you can fill up at the local petrol station and clear off without paying
Old 13 May 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3073688)   #43
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
There are companies that freely advertise and make 'show plates' which have anything you want on them including dodgy spacing. How does that work then?
I thought you could put anything you like on your car while it's not on the public highway. There are plenty race cars running round with company names and the like on their "number plates". I also don't understand why anyone would be fined for making plates that say whatever. Surely it's the user that's responsible?
Old 13 May 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3073714)   #44
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
I also don't understand why anyone would be fined for making plates that say whatever. Surely it's the user that's responsible?
That was exactly my point ...... unless it was proved that they were making obvious apparently 'legal' plates without any proof of ownership i.e. V5 etc.

......and thanks Gordon - knowing my luck, the Velcro would fail and the plate fall off, while I was still on camera
Old 13 May 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3073741)   #45
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Well as I'm not likely to move to the UK in the near future:
Attachment 36970
Not BA11 OCX then?
Old 13 May 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3073744)   #46
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't own a digital camera, let alone a smart-phone, but here's my local cracker -

M12 VET
M125 VET
M155 VET

All the same family, who I imagine are veterinarians by profession.The 12 and 125 have been "twisted" to look like MR and MRS - pathetic.

The local fuzz in Ulster don't seem to be so vigilant as the mainland counterparts, so dodgy "altered" Britich plates are ten-a-penny here.
Or maybe were they just big Vettel fans?
Old 13 May 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3073991)   #47
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Good point about the DVLA sales. The hypocrisy beggars belief - one Govt. department sells them knowing that they might well be "butchered" to suit the purchaser, and then sit back whilst the police (also Govt.) duly fine the users for road Traffic offences.
Consider it a tax on vanity . . . I have no problem with that!
Old 15 May 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3074797)   #48
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Not BA11 OCX then?
Unfortunately already gone!
Old 15 May 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3075010)   #49
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I remember Steve Parrish had the reg no PEN 1S, I don't know if he still has it ?
Old 17 May 2012, 18:12 (Ref:3075821)   #50
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I remember Steve Parrish had the reg no PEN 1S, I don't know if he still has it ?
He should gift it to Jason Plato, 'cos he drives like a cock!