Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 8 Oct 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2556533)   #176
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the real deal1985 View Post
I was at the finale last weekend at Brands Hatch. The main rumour that I herd going around the paddock was that Matt Neal would be re-joining Team Dynamics alongside Johnny Herbert (the fact they were both in the TD garage before race 1 helped fuel the rumour).
As sure as the Pope is Catholic, Matt Neal will be back at TD in 2010!

Matt was hoping to be at TD for this season, but he was contracted to VXR and they would not release him. This season has proved he was missed at TD. As to who will be with him has yet to be resolved.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2556559)   #177
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If Honda come back as a works outfit I think they will try to bring James Thompson with them. Although he is with Lada atm, he has been doing well in the DTC finishing 3rd in a Honda despite not racing for the last 2 rounds.
He missed more than that.

Thompson's approach to motor racing this year has been bizarre - competing in too many championships to actually be able to win any of them.

I presume he had no real interest in becoming BTCC or DTC champion - his focus appears to be the WTCC - though I expect he'd hope to be racing for someone a little more competitive than Lada next year.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2556579)   #178
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If Honda come back as a works outfit I think they will try to bring James Thompson with them.
Is there any real evidence that Honda have any inclination to re-enter the BTCC as a works outfit though? Beyond people speculating that they could make Dynamics the works team, is there any likelihood? I'd suggest Honda would be far more likely to offer 'support' before they made them a works team, although I'm not 100% clear on what level of backing TD get from Honda currently.

Also with Mat Jackson, as he would have been paying to run the Lacetti, then presumably if he wants it again in 2010 he can have it, providing he pays, so I'd suggest it wouldn't be a surprise to see him continue with it, with or without Silverline. Also even if RML bring the Cruze to play next season, the Lacetti could conceivably have a head start in that it's alreayd adapted to the BTCC-spec rubber, plus will a Lacetti be slightly cheaper in '10, if there's a newer, 'superior' car in the Cruze available?
Old 8 Oct 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2556618)   #179
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
Is there any real evidence that Honda have any inclination to re-enter the BTCC as a works outfit though? Beyond people speculating that they could make Dynamics the works team, is there any likelihood? I'd suggest Honda would be far more likely to offer 'support' before they made them a works team, although I'm not 100% clear on what level of backing TD get from Honda currently.
Most of the evidence is from Steve Neal's interview with crash.net, where he said he is in talks with Honda about a deal for next year. You can draw your own conclusions as to how believable you think that is (for what it's worth, I'm inclined to take it at face value - TD have a very close relationship with Honda, and they had a very large presence at Silverstone and especially Brands this year).

As for current levels of support from Honda, it can't have been huge this year, as TD were eligible for the independents championship. The past couple of years they were deemed to be receiving too much factory support to be classed as indies.

There's also the fact that a Honda-TD works effort was pretty much a done deal this time last year, until Honda pulled out of F1 and the economy tanked.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2556632)   #180
the real deal1985
Rookie

United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
the real deal1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
Also with Mat Jackson, as he would have been paying to run the Lacetti, then presumably if he wants it again in 2010 he can have it, providing he pays, so I'd suggest it wouldn't be a surprise to see him continue with it, with or without Silverline. Also even if RML bring the Cruze to play next season, the Lacetti could conceivably have a head start in that it's alreayd adapted to the BTCC-spec rubber, plus will a Lacetti be slightly cheaper in '10, if there's a newer, 'superior' car in the Cruze available?
I work for a company that sponsors Mat in the BTCC and I was talking to the PR spokewoman along with my dad and she said that they were already talking to agencies with the hope to get enough funding to run the cars next year. There is the possibility of them running the Cruz, but it will be the 2009 spec cars that are being run in this years WTCC. She also said, they don't really need to change the Lacetti as it is still successful. As there are now no manufactures on the grid next year (as of yet) there will be no 2010 machinery racing next year. Like you said, the Lacetti is well developed now.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2556634)   #181
the real deal1985
Rookie

United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
He missed more than that.
I was just going by what touringcartime.com said. It looks like he only missed the last two rounds as all the others have scores on them. He was leading up until he left I think.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2556694)   #182
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Autosport there is a brief mention that Anthony Reid wants a full time return to the BTCC.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2556759)   #183
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
In Autosport there is a brief mention that Anthony Reid wants a full time return to the BTCC.
Huge Antony Reid fan but is performances do not warrant another chance with so many other more capable drivers on the market.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2556849)   #184
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He hasn't had great results, but then he hasn't had much track time in that car. I'd love to see him back, a real character for the series
Old 8 Oct 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2556881)   #185
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I was just going by what touringcartime.com said. It looks like he only missed the last two rounds as all the others have scores on them. He was leading up until he left I think.
Am pretty sure you're right, Thommo did do all but the final two rounds of the DTC. I don't recall him missing any other rounds.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2556899)   #186
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
He hasn't had great results, but then he hasn't had much track time in that car. I'd love to see him back, a real character for the series
I agree, its not as if he's had time to test. If he came back in the BMW - I think after some testing he would be matching Collard, he wasn't much behind Jelley at Brands when both of them were running.

Also in Autosport - RML want to stay next year, they would need funding as Silverline will only stay on if Plato drives for them, and they said they woud run whatever cars out of the Lacetti or Cruze didn't get sold. On the BTCC coverage Plato said that there was going to be a meeting Tuesday to discuss possible plans in regards to if a factory effort was possible
Old 8 Oct 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2556908)   #187
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Who is it that owns Chevrolet (as in the cars formerly known as Daewoos) now - GM in the US, GM Europe or part GM Europe part Magna? Surely this could be interpreted as a form of slap in the face for T8 in the sense that a factory effort would be run by someone else - unless they know that someone else has got the services of Triple Eight (Ovlov? Kia?)

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

I think we'll see Triple Eight back next year, either as Triple Eight or in a new guise. They know Pro1000 isn't necessarily going to be a success ...
Old 8 Oct 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2557046)   #188
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I think there is a fair chance we'll see Volvo there. But I'm sceptical as to whether it'd be the C30.
They'd be insane not to take advantage of the Polestar C30, it's had 2 years of development now so is at its peak of performance. It carried Tommy Rustad to the STCC championship this year, and in the hands of Robert Dahlgren was arguably the fastest car out there over the course of the season. Why reinvent the wheel?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 07:02 (Ref:2557272)   #189
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it may be strong on Swedish tracks, but that doesn't mean it'll be quick in British tracks. Learn the lesson of the hatcback, not never strong at all in recent years, whereas saloons have been dominating almost.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2557317)   #190
the real deal1985
Rookie

United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Off topic comment alert

Who is it that owns Chevrolet (as in the cars formerly known as Daewoos) now - GM in the US, GM Europe or part GM Europe part Magna? Surely this could be interpreted as a form of slap in the face for T8 in the sense that a factory effort would be run by someone else - unless they know that someone else has got the services of Triple Eight (Ovlov? Kia?)

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

I think we'll see Triple Eight back next year, either as Triple Eight or in a new guise. They know Pro1000 isn't necessarily going to be a success ...
From talking to the PR person at RML Racing Silverline, she said that they owned the Lacetti's that they are running this year. RML has developed the cars for the WTCC and have ownership to use them in the BTCC. I put the point to her that Bamboo Engineering wanted to run a two car team with the Lacetti next year and she said that RML currently have the three Lacetti's (Jackson's, Plato's and Nash's), and if Bamboo wanted to buy one RML could sell them one. She also said that they have the capability to build another Lacetti chasis if it was needed for next year.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2557325)   #191
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Off topic comment alert

Chevrolet (former Daewoo) is GM, not Magna.
Opel/Vauxhall is (or will be) Magna (but GM owns still 25% or so).

Why would it be a slap in the face of 888?
It's RML who developed the Chevrolet so if Chevrolet UK let 888 run the cars it would be a slap in the face of RML.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2557507)   #192
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Over on BTCC, someone on the forum is saying that RAC have said they will be scaling down their backing of WSR, according to Motorsport news.

Something I missed in Autosport first time round was that there were Ford people at Brands Hatch, guests of Arena - so maybe something could happen there.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2557595)   #193
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Chevrolet (former Daewoo) is GM, not Magna.
Opel/Vauxhall is (or will be) Magna (but GM owns still 25% or so).

Why would it be a slap in the face of 888?
It's RML who developed the Chevrolet so if Chevrolet UK let 888 run the cars it would be a slap in the face of RML.
It would be GM saying to T8 "right, we can't afford to run you as a factory team, but we can afford to get RML to run Daewoos". That is less the case as Vauxhall/Opel is now GM/Magna/some Russian bank.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2557605)   #194
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You have more faith than team boss Ian Harrison!! http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4089
Old 9 Oct 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2557614)   #195
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
Something I missed in Autosport first time round was that there were Ford people at Brands Hatch, guests of Arena - so maybe something could happen there.
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4088
Old 9 Oct 2009, 17:11 (Ref:2557625)   #196
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
That was also in Autosport (about WTCC) - I guess they could use Arena and 2010 in the BTCC as part of a testing programme before going to WTCC in 2011. It would be nice to have a Ford works team
Old 9 Oct 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2557749)   #197
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Would love to see those gorgeous sounding C30's in the BTCC next year, make it happen someone?!
Old 15 Oct 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2561875)   #198
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
We have a new BMW team (Forster Motorsport) with 2 cars:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4118
Old 15 Oct 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2561893)   #199
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody ever heard from either the drivers or the team?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2562053)   #200
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forster are good guys, they do a great job on the minis with a good friendly team (Depper is annoying as MC though ) and I'm sure they'd come out firing.
Closed Thread